GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre cracking

vesta

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,
I have a MK7 1.4 Petrol Golf 9077 miles, just over three years old which I have owned from new.
I noticed slight uneven wear on the front tyres, but when I looked closer there is cracking running around the tyre in the groves between the tread also some in the snipes running to the edge.
I normally drive only one or two up and I run the pressures at the comfort setting (30psi) all round.

The near side is worst (RH drive UK), offside same but cracking not so evident.

IMG_20181013_171320.jpgIMG_20181013_171331 - Copy.jpg

They are Hankook Ventus Prime2 205 55 R16

I will pop into the dealer next week but would like some other opinions first please.

Thank you.:)

Last edited:

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Not surprising. Hankook tires may be the worst ever made.

Maybe the low end eco ones. Rs4's are among the best for the price. Tons of people run them for lapping and street use and they perform and last very well.

vesta

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the replies, interesting how once you start digging what other questions pop up. The factory fitted tyres are R rated 106mph but the car is capable of around 120 to 131 mph depending on the test you read so should be H or V in that case. Odd to say the least. The national speed limit is 70mph so of course I would not be exceeding that!;););):D

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
What is the build date of the tyres (should be on the sidewall somewhere) ?

vesta

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again for the replies, just to let you know the outcome.
I took it into a tyre dealer who looked and said it was OK to carry on using, then ran it into the VW dealer I bought it from new.
The VW mechanic said he had seen it before but it never goes down to the cords and would pass MOT fine.
The parts manager gave me a price for a new OE tyre should I want to replace it, surprise surprise they no longer fit those and have gone to Dunlop ! Wonder if that's relevant?
I will do a bit of research and decide what tyre to go with but at least it will not have to be a panic buy.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks again for the replies, just to let you know the outcome.
I took it into a tyre dealer who looked and said it was OK to carry on using, then ran it into the VW dealer I bought it from new.
The VW mechanic said he had seen it before but it never goes down to the cords and would pass MOT fine.
The parts manager gave me a price for a new OE tyre should I want to replace it, surprise surprise they no longer fit those and have gone to Dunlop ! Wonder if that's relevant?
I will do a bit of research and decide what tyre to go with but at least it will not have to be a panic buy.

The risk comes if the crack reaches the steel belts.
If water reaches the braided belts the water will wick down the wires and over time cause rust. Rust affects the rubber adhesion to the wire. In time it can cause belt separation. From the outside it is hard to tell how deep a crack reaches. So if tire has a good bit of cracking one should keep an eye on the tire