GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Turbo Inlet Pipe

mattchat

I have a 2018 and my hose does not have the easy release tabs. In fact the hardest part with installing my CTS turbo inlet pipe was first removing the breather hose off the factory inlet pipe....holy cow that was on there. Those small hook tools come in handy! I don't think I got as tight a fit on the CTS pipe after but its snug enough. Probably won't be too hard to remove like it was from the factory pipe.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I don't have the squeeze type connection. Mine has the style that was causing issues. I got a cts tip and have been running for over a year. Does anyone else not "clip" on? Mine will not go all the way down onto the bottom of the groove. It just kind of sits there. Is this what others have seen?

Last edited:

Estebandoe

Passed Driver's Ed
So I wish I would have done some research on the parts I bought..I just wanted everything APR! I installed the APR TIP & it took me awhile to get it in, but I see its locked in place with the bolt tight & theres a little bit of play...I also tried to install a APR clutch cable bracket & it didnt fit...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I don't have the squeeze type connection. Mine has the style that was causing issues. I got a cts tip and have been running for over a year. Does anyone else not "clip" on? Mine will not go all the way down onto the bottom of the groove. It just kind of sits there. Is this what others have seen?
Is it still like this Twist? I know you've been troubleshooting misfires, a leaky PCV wouldn't help.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Is it still like this Twist? I know you've been troubleshooting misfires, a leaky PCV wouldn't help.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I switched over to the Apr one. But now I have the exact issue you had with it being stuck on lmao. Everytime I remove the tip I have to disconnect at the pcv side and remove the whole thing with the breather hose. I don't think it's ever coming off there. Hopefully constant disconnection of the pcv breather at the pcv side doesn't cause it to leak, but I have noticed it getting increasingly easier to remove now. The first time I had to pry it off, now I can slide off with my fingers.

I may just get an ecs pcv hose and the new unitronic tip down the line but for now everything seems to be running good.

Also, when you install an is38 make sure you use the right o ring, the one off the is20 is too loose. The one Apr tip comes with is for an is38

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I switched over to the Apr one. But now I have the exact issue you had with it being stuck on lmao. Everytime I remove the tip I have to disconnect at the pcv side and remove the whole thing with the breather hose. I don't think it's ever coming off there. Hopefully constant disconnection of the pcv breather at the pcv side doesn't cause it to leak, but I have noticed it getting increasingly easier to remove now. The first time I had to pry it off, now I can slide off with my fingers.

I may just get an ecs pcv hose and the new unitronic tip down the line but for now everything seems to be running good.

Also, when you install an is38 make sure you use the right o ring, the one off the is20 is too loose. The one Apr tip comes with is for an is38

Yeah my Uni TIP didn't come with one so I swapped the stock ring over. When I installed the APR I managed to get it on there with the o-ring they provided but it was a MFer.

BlueGTIguy

Did any of you start experiencing misfires once you installed the APR TIP? I started to idle a little rougher once it was installed. Also wish I would have known the APR O-ring was for the IS38. The struggle was real.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Did any of you start experiencing misfires once you installed the APR TIP? I started to idle a little rougher once it was installed. Also wish I would have known the APR O-ring was for the IS38. The struggle was real.

I was getting warm start misfires, only when Eurodyne tuned, but that ended up being plugs. This happened with and without a non factory TIP.

I still get no load misfires on upshifts, again only when Eurodyne tuned, but I can't feel them and they seem harmless.

No misfires under load.

Last edited:

Estebandoe

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a cylinder 3 misfire! Originally the code popped up back in October & I checked it out & check engine light went away. It came back on 2 days after the APR TIP & Intake were installed. I cleared the codes a few days ago & I just came back yesterday! My OBDeleven Pro came in the mail yesterday & these were the results! I had my spark plugs changed not even 500 miles ago so it shouldn't be the spark plugs...I bought a new ignition coil but it seems the ignition coil isn't the problem...clogged/dirty injectors maybe?
I have 64k miles on my car...2015 GTI SE
Stock tune
APR Intake
APR Catback exhaust
APR TIP
APR Short Shift kit
CTS Tubo Instercooler
SP Turbo Muffler Delete

I have an APR downpipe but I'm afraid of tuning the car with all the problems I've had...

Estebandoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Possibly injector. I'd go rent a compression tester first. Don't look at the values as the tools aren't super accurate, look at the comparison of #3 vs other cylinders.
Awesome, I'll go try that out when I can, thanks!
As for the APR TIP...is there a reason it's a little lose? It was a pain to get on but I finally got it on, made sure the 3 tabs on the TIP were locked into place on the turbo & the bolt is tight...

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

The turbo inlet pipe would have absolutely nothing to do with misfires. Nor does anything pre ic piping as long as it's not causing turbulence or restricting.

I ran my record 1/4 ots with no intake assembly at all. No catback or Intakr into the turbo. No hood. No issues. With it just being one cylinder that makes things easy. Swap could, swap plugs, narrow down, replace. If that doesn't work do a compression test and if all is well and it persists rip Mani off and get carbon out and replace injector.

Estebandoe

Passed Driver's Ed
The turbo inlet pipe would have absolutely nothing to do with misfires. Nor does anything pre ic piping as long as it's not causing turbulence or restricting.

I ran my record 1/4 ots with no intake assembly at all. No catback or Intakr into the turbo. No hood. No issues. With it just being one cylinder that makes things easy. Swap could, swap plugs, narrow down, replace. If that doesn't work do a compression test and if all is well and it persists rip Mani off and get carbon out and replace injector.
So a few months ago I was having some problems with my engine, it was running terrible. I took it to VW because its still under my Pre-certified warranty & it turns out the gas I put in my car was 50% water 50% gas with traces of ethanol. They charged me $500 to replace the spark plugs(less than 500 miles ago) & drain the tank. They told me it wasnt covered under warranty because I put the gas in the car to make it perform badly. I also took my car to VW because my tires were trashed after 10k miles & my alignment was off, so they charged me full price(which isn't a big deal) and told me it wasnt covered under warranty because its classified as "maintenance".
My question is if the problem is my injectors can I take it to the dealership and will it be covered under my warranty? I dont want to take it to them once again & pay all this labor if I could've saved some money doing it myself or having somebody do it..

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
So a few months ago I was having some problems with my engine, it was running terrible. I took it to VW because its still under my Pre-certified warranty & it turns out the gas I put in my car was 50% water 50% gas with traces of ethanol. They charged me $500 to replace the spark plugs(less than 500 miles ago) & drain the tank. They told me it wasnt covered under warranty because I put the gas in the car to make it perform badly. I also took my car to VW because my tires were trashed after 10k miles & my alignment was off, so they charged me full price(which isn't a big deal) and told me it wasnt covered under warranty because its classified as "maintenance".
My question is if the problem is my injectors can I take it to the dealership and will it be covered under my warranty? I dont want to take it to them once again & pay all this labor if I could've saved some money doing it myself or having somebody do it..

They absolutely should if you're still under warranty and not tuned. If not... if you can learn to wrench it yourself it will be a cheap fix. Maybe 200$ and 6 hours of work at max for a first time diyer pulling manifold out.

Estebandoe

Passed Driver's Ed
They absolutely should if you're still under warranty and not tuned. If not... if you can learn to wrench it yourself it will be a cheap fix. Maybe 200$ and 6 hours of work at max for a first time diyer pulling manifold out.
Okay I just called my local VW dealership and they told me that the injectors might be caused by that bad gas I put in my car a few months ago..but they dont know the problem without having the car there. They said if it is from the gas, it's not covered under warranty.
At this point I have an open case with the Attorney Generals office out here about getting reimbursed that money it cost me for the spark plugs VW put in! But if the injectors going bad was because of the gas, i need a receipt with writing saying the repairs are due to the bad gas. I'm not sure what VW is going to charge, but I need it done soon(so I can get reimbursed this money for this repair as well)
If the injectors were affected by that gas why didnt VW catch that & fix it..instead of charging me $500 for spark plugs & partially fix my problem...