GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit more Dynaudio badges to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 2
Vehicle used in this guide

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension, factory optional Dynaudio "Excite" sound system.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
Any Mk7 Golf with the Dynaudio "Excite" sound system.

Introduction
I hate the spartan/cheapskate single Dynaudio name badge on the front tweeters compared to the numerous badges in previous VW’s & compared to the way other manufactures logo their speakers. So I did quite a bit of research on the correct way to retro-fit more Dynaudio badges as the factory should/would have done if the bean/penny counters had not got involved!

Research
Basically Google “Dynaudio badges, emblems, VW”, & just look at masses of pictures, as I did!

Number of badges:-
VW used to fit Dynaudio badges to every trim panel which had the Dynaudio speakers in them. However if there was more than one speaker on a trim panel e.g. the door cards you only got one name badge & that was fitted to the bigger speaker. So on our front doors we have one speaker & the name badge should be fitted to it. On the rear doors which have the tweeters & the bass/mids, then one badge is fitted to the bass/mid speakers & nothing on the tweeters.

Positioning of badges:-
Again looking at numerous pictures, VW fitted the badges to the bottom or side sections of the grills, &/or added a chrome backing piece like on the Tiguan or the big strip on the Passat. However, in all these & other various VW’s fitted with the Dynaudio badges, most had a plain speaker grill & not like ours which has the lower vent/slats! However, I did find one which had the lower vent/slats like our MK7 Golf! This is the Eos (MK5 Golf convertible with folding hard top), & they fitted the Dynaudio badge in the rearmost & upper vent section! The other advantage is that the badge is recessed back & not susceptible to being scuffed when you swing your feet in & out.

Type of badge:-
Basically the exact same style as the existing Dynaudio logo on the M7 Golf tweeter, as Dynaudio changed their logo to this simpler design back in 2011. All new produces were fitted with this style from 2011, however some “legacy” products continued to be fitted with the older style (red/black) until the old style badge stock at the factory was used up.

Parts required
What are described as "30mm x 4mm aluminium Dynaudio badges", from eBay or aliexpress. It appears that one factory makes these & other name badges, & numerous sellers/retailers buy from this one place as I have bought several packets from completely different sellers & the items all look exactly the same.

Dynaudio-badge-mod-no1.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Part 2 of 2
Fitting

I decided to carefully remove (with a sharp knife & then clean with electrical contact cleaner) the double sided trim tape that came on the name badges as it causes the badge to stand “out” & not sit flush on the grill due to the tape thickness. I then used an “extreme” clear glue which can cope with plastic & -30C to +100C temp range (these are under various brands & easy to find). I used a wooden toothpick to spread a small amount of glue on the grill area where the badge will sit & then coat the back of the badge with a thin layer of glue also. Then just press the badge fairly accurately onto the area & then manoeuvre into exact place. I chose dead centre & allowed one row of “holes” beneath the badge. Remove any visible excess glue with the toothpick before the glue dries. Apply less glue to the next badge if too much excess glue needs to be removed!

Results

The car now looks "complete", & enjoy being able to stick two fingers up at the VW bean counters, & have the correct number of audio name badges as per previous VW cars & as still done by other car manufacturers!

Conclusions

Again, yet another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG by removing as many items of trim as possible!

Dynaudio-badge-on-doors-no2.jpg

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Nice. I'm a stickler the same way. The Helix OEM+ sub/amp upgrade comes with a single stainless steel badge. I scored a second one thanks to the generosity of forum member dbwat, and chose this location on the front mid-bass grilles: