GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Subwoofer "cheap and easy" review

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
There's an oem one availble (says it needs coding) but one would assume the wiring would be in place already. I have a sub/amp combo from my old car that I may use. does this mean I don't need to runs wires thru the firewall and to the headunit?

oem one
https://www.vwpartsandservice.ca/p/...-Subwoofer--Soundbox/70516867/000051419B.html

OEM Helix system is plug and play apart from routing the wiring loom from the glove box to the trunk. Only coding required is a dongle to program the correct sound stage as the same part is used across many different vehicles.

Any other amp/sub combo you'll have to run power from the battery to the rear and tap into the speakers with a line output converter.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
So my "cheap and easy" subwoofer is complete. Weight gain is 14lbs 2oz (using 1/2" plywood), which considering the Rockford Fosgate R2SD2-10 speaker weighs 9lbs 2oz and the OEM speaker and enclosure weigh 6lbs 10oz not too bad.

I was able to manufacture an enclosure that was the recommended size (for speaker) .7 cu ft that fit on the tire so that gave me a tad more room. Had 5/8" of clearance between back of hogged out (1/8") and vent port so that worked out well. Removed top hat on tire securing fixture to give a tad more clearance for downward firing speaker. No clearance issues with hatch deck, layed nice and flat.

Have not spent much time listening, but the initial impression is a worth while improvement in getting decent tight base.

Next audio mod is dynamat the doors. Another cheap, but labor intensive worthwhile mod.

Attachments

• sub1.JPG
    sub1.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 957
  • sub6.JPG
    sub6.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • sub7.JPG
    sub7.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 944
  • sub8.JPG
    sub8.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 946

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
Nice! FWIW, my sub took a while to "break in" and sounds even better now.

dsgvw

Ready to race!
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I just installed the Rockford 12” recommended in the first post in a 4” tall box and this thing thumps!!

Easy install, tapped into wires which is ugly but no one sees it so don’t care. Bought box online shipped for like $125 or something. Sure beats building one for a guy that’s never built a box before.

I’ll miss the extra trunk floor space but it sits flush in the upper position totally hidden and functional which was my goal. Love the increased sound and range.

I’ll admit the fender speaker is crazy awesome for how small and compact but a 12 really rounds out the system.

Got the box here: https://ak-audio.com/collections/cu...ubwoofer-box-enclosure-car-speaker-10-12-subs

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
very nice option for those looking to upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am actually happy with the fender sound system that came with my SE.

This is on top of your spare tire, correct? did you put the floor back on on top of the subwoofer?

Not sure if all VW are the same, but between my spare tire and the trunk floor there is a good 4 to 5 inches of free space

dsgvw

Ready to race!
very nice option for those looking to upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am actually happy with the fender sound system that came with my SE.

This is on top of your spare tire, correct? did you put the floor back on on top of the subwoofer?

Not sure if all VW are the same, but between my spare tire and the trunk floor there is a good 4 to 5 inches of free space

Yes floor went back perfectly flush at the top position. Spare is still in there but had to pull the fender sub and the mounting stick that holds the tire down. New box and sub weighs like 30lbs so it holds it down fine and I packed it with some towels for good measure. Jack is still there are well, just had to remove the top styrofoam section.

All in all for $180 all in I’m one happy camper. Base goes so much lower and rounds out the sounds amazingly. No more booming and it goes LOUD.

If anyone is in the fence about this upgrade just do it. Easy and no need for an amp upgrade. Gets plenty of punch.

Funny to see this coming back from the dead because I've been reading it over-and-over the last few days. Pulled the plug on the 10" RF yesterday and built a box today. I went with 1/2" MDF 24"x21"x4" with an extra 12"x12" 1/2" thick flange on top to pull the driver up and away from the back of the box.

I'm not going to carpet it unless I come across some for cheap. My box is completely ghetto looking but it's well constructed and I will never see its again after installing the sub and laying it below the floor.

I ordered the connector and wires from my local dealer for ease or removal and connection if needed.I'll post a pic of the enclosure tomorrow. I won't have the driver for over a week. Shipping from the US to Canada.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie

The space is for storing the rear hatch cover.

Mr_Meaty

Ok, I didn't know that space was for the hatch and I didn't know there was a lower level for the trunk floor. MIND BLOWN!
Here's my questions: I don't have a spare (mk7.5 golf R) so will these types of set ups still work? Conversely, without a spare, does that mean I can go with a sub box that is deeper than 4"?

Mr_Meaty

I took a look at my trunk and saw a video of a GTI trunk and it looks like the GTI has a deeper well for the spare tire to fit in than the R does, I'm assuming due to the 4motion rear transaxle. But there still seems to be just barely 4" from the floor to the bottom of the trunk lid/cover thing.

Mr_Meaty

So...stupid question, but I don't want to break it...how do I get that plastic threaded pole out of the trunk? The thing that holds the fender sub onto the spare tire?