GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock sub or rear speakers for better signal?

colek

I’m upgrading the sub in my 2015 GTI with the Fender Audio system. I’m wondering if I’m better off tapping into the stock subwoofer or to the rear speakers for a better signal? I’ll be running the speaker inputs through a LC2i to a JL JX500/1D powering a 10” Alpine Type R.

Thanks in advance for any info/tips!

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Use the stock sub output as it will allow you to keep control of the sub level/dsp setting via the MIB.
The rear speaker outputs will need to be de-equalized and this might harm overall lowend reaponse

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Use the stock sub output as it will allow you to keep control of the sub level/dsp setting via the MIB.
The rear speaker outputs will need to be de-equalized and this might harm overall lowend reaponse

To that same point, isn't it very likely that the stock subwoofer output has been EQ'd and given a cut off for the factory sub? OEM Fender sub is tiny, and won't have the extension of a 10" driver.

If you're using an Audiosource LC2i on the rear speaker outputs you can use it's "accu-bass" feature to regain that low end, and allow potentially a lower bass range than stock.

Then again, you might be lacking either way since the headunit is likely EQing either output.

colek

To that same point, isn't it very likely that the stock subwoofer output has been EQ'd and given a cut off for the factory sub? OEM Fender sub is tiny, and won't have the extension of a 10" driver.

If you're using an Audiosource LC2i on the rear speaker outputs you can use it's "accu-bass" feature to regain that low end, and allow potentially a lower bass range than stock.

Then again, you might be lacking either way since the headunit is likely EQing either output.
That’s what I was worried about and the reason I asked the question. Would I not get a lower range off the sub vs. the rears though?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That’s what I was worried about and the reason I asked the question. Would I not get a lower range off the sub vs. the rears though?

Let just use some possible but totally hypothetical numbers, based on the idea that all factory stereos are tuned to be safe and within the limits of the factory drivers.

Rear speaker output, lets assume they took out sub frequencies but left mid-bass: 20khz - 120hz?

Subwoofer output, lets assume that the crossover frequency matches the speakers, but that tones below 40hz? 30hz? That the sub would never be able to produce are removed: 120hz - 40/30hz

Using the rear speaker outputs if they aren't full range might not give the LC2i much signal to work with on it's Accubass circuit, and low end will be weak. On the opposite end, using the subwoofer out could limit the upper end of the sub, but the Accubass circuit could likely fill in a bit below 30-40hz.

If those are the only two possibilities, I'd bet using the sub output would end up being the best of the two, and like dr_mk7 said, you would still be able to adjust the level in MIB menus. If you're interested in trying both, I'd be interested to see your results.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
Only way to determine play range would be to hook up an RTA, play white noise and see available frequency bandwidth.
I’d still go with my initial suggestion of using the sub output, I have a friend using a Gensis line output converter powering a Skar 1200 amp on an AudioQue 15 - definitely can play low end without applying any eq to it.

mensaman

Ready to race!
No problems playing low end off the factory sub outputs using an LC2i. I'm running an ssa xcon 12 and ran 2 sundown 12's that way before.

The only issue is output cutoff at 50% and above volume. I still haven't gotten the lc2i to correct that even after many tries, instructions and videos.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The only issue is output cutoff at 50% and above volume. I still haven't gotten the lc2i to correct that even after many tries, instructions and videos.

Most likely a result of the factory DSP trying to prevent damage to the stock speakers. You will not be able to correct that issue without using a different solution.

mensaman

Ready to race!
Most likely a result of the factory DSP trying to prevent damage to the stock speakers. You will not be able to correct that issue without using a different solution.

It absolutely is the factory trying to prevent damage to the speakers. The LC2i is supposed to fix this issue for your subwoofer with their "accubass technology". According to them you set the accubass at the point of factory roll off and it supplants the signal. I just can't get it too work.

I can't complain too much as the LC2i works wonderfully otherwise and I rarely go to or above 50 percent volume anyway.

Jlewiss

fix the over 50% volume issue

No problems playing low end off the factory sub outputs using an LC2i. I'm running an ssa xcon 12 and ran 2 sundown 12's that way before.

Anyone figured out how to fix the over 50% volume issue with the LC2i? I am hooking up my LC2i, 600watt JL amp and dual 12" subs and I'd like to be able to tune this issue away if I could? :cool:

dproeck

Anyone figured out how to fix the over 50% volume issue with the LC2i? I am hooking up my LC2i, 600watt JL amp and dual 12" subs and I'd like to be able to tune this issue away if I could? :cool:

I have the Fender audio and connected the LC2i along with a JL xd300 to a single JL 10tw3. I don't have any issues with the bass cutting out over 50%, although I don't often go that loud. Just gets too loud, and things start rattling way more than necessary.

All in all, it's a great setup and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Jlewiss

this is how I installed the LC2i:

Fender subwoofer upgrade

Thx Chid. I read some of your posts re the upgrade and the details were very helpful! preciate you!
so I got all my stuff installed today and it sounds pretty damn good. But the inputs to the lc2i, I got this from somewhere, but I don't think it's right, bc I hooked it up like this into the lc2i and nothing much re the audio was happening but the power to the lc2i and the amp were good. I played around with the inputs and it started working well. but right now I only have one input to the lc2i, from the wires coming out of the fender, the wires in the trunk... brown brown/striped, white and white/striped.

Not sure where I got this, but it does not seems to be correct:

"The connector should actually have it marked on the side where the wire goes into the connector. It should be (+, +, -, -) with both +'s and -'s sharing a terminal. usually solid color signifies a positive and a stripped signifies a negative so my guess would be:
1.) Solid Brown - Positive (Right)
2.) Solid Yellow - Positive (Left)
3.) Stripped Brown - Negative (Right)
4.) Stripped Yellow - Negative (Left) "

anyone know the correct inputs for these 2 pair of wires? :cool:

Jlewiss

I just went out to the golf and messed around... i think this guy has it right...

got this from some forum somewhere, and I'm pretty sure this guy/gal has it rite!!

"Jrarjrar
"The white . One pos/neg pair is yellow-striped, the other is not. Connect one pair to each side of the sub." :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

guys the sh!t sounds EXCELLENT!! for those w fender subs, get yourself a amp/sub/lc2i combo and follow these instructions! it makes your system COME ALIVE!!! trust me.... and Chid and everyone else who contributed. thx to Jrarjrar for leading down the correct wiring route!!!!!!
Thanks to all too!!!!!!! LOVE VDUBS AND ALL YALL WHO HELPED!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:;);):):):):D:D:D:eek::eek: