GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
The best I've seen for the carriers was $130ish each, is that $95 each you found them for?

About $100ish for each at real volkswagen parts. I'm not sure if they're worth the dough or not... Not sure what the real world difference would be. Nice cosmetic bump

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Just got new carriers, but without the box.
They don't have p/n stamped on them, so I don't know which one is left or right. I know the difference is only in those plastic sleeves, but is it on upper or down bolt on mounted carrier?
I could find D5 and D6 stamped on carriers, could it be related to 125 and 126 part numbers?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just got new carriers, but without the box.
They don't have p/n stamped on them, so I don't know which one is left or right. I know the difference is only in those plastic sleeves, but is it on upper or down bolt on mounted carrier?
I could find D5 and D6 stamped on carriers, could it be related to 125 and 126 part numbers?

Easy way to do this & please report back.

Remove one of your existing brake calipers, remove the top pin & note what type, then remove the bottom pin & note which type...even take photos.

Then take one of the new carriers & temporarily bolt into place & remove the top pin & note which type it is. If this matches the old one position you have just fitted the correct new carrier, if different, remove the carrier & fit the other new one, & remove the pins one by one to double check..

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Easy way to do this & please report back.

Remove one of your existing brake calipers, remove the top pin & note what type, then remove the bottom pin & note which type...even take photos.

Then take one of the new carriers & temporarily bolt into place & remove the top pin & note which type it is. If this matches the old one position you have just fitted the correct new carrier, if different, remove the carrier & fit the other new one, & remove the pins one by one to double check..

Yes, thought about that as an easy solution.
But I won't do the install myself, so want to let know the guy installing it which side are they in advance so they don’t screw it up or forget.
Also I won’t be installing it in a few months, because there is still planty of current pad left.
I found this set of new Oem discs, pads and carriers for 250€ from ebay, so I bought it for being so cheap even though I don’t need them yet.

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys. I will be upgrading from non-PP mk7 GTI to PP brakes over the holidays. I will have non-pp mk7 GTI pads, rotors, calipers, caliper carriers, dust shields, and even brake lines available for sale. PM me if you are interested in buying. Otherwise I will list them after I do the brake upgrade but I am trying to give someone who has been thinking about this an opportunity to call dibs.

Last edited:

kkingma

Ready to race!
Hey guys. I will be upgrading from non-PP mk7 GTI to PP brakes over the holidays. I will have non-pp mk7 GTI pads, rotors, calipers, caliper carriers, dust shields, and even brake lines available for sale. PM me if you are interested in buying. Otherwise I will list them after I do the brake upgrade but I am trying to give someone who has been thinking about this an opportunity to call dibs.

Good on you for letting a deal for someone. I hope someone takes you up on this. The carriers were the hardest to find for me

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the advise GolfDave., seems like 288mm to 312mm seems to be the best value for the money.

Since you have already done this mod, do you see a good difference in terms of braking ?

Somehow I feel the stock brakes are not very sufficient even for daily driving, it dont do track or any spirited driving though...
Finally was able to get this upgrade done on my vehicle. Thanks for all your detailed information. Helped me a ton !

Love the handling, braking is much more refined and progressive now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Finally was able to get this upgrade done on my vehicle. Thanks for all your detailed information. Helped me a ton !

Love the handling, braking is much more refined and progressive now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Like I said the rest of the system is designed from the outset as a 312mm system, just they downsize the disc to 288mm for the lesser powered/cheaper version....& totally ruin the braking in the process...

Anyway glad you got it done all OK....:cool:

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
I just wanted to give an update on this 312mm rotor upgrade.

It's been approximately ~1 year since Ive done this upgrade, but I have noticed that about ~2cm on the outer edge on the 312mm rotor is extra shiny.

I have investigated this in more detail tonight by taking everything apart and noticed my factory caliper part #5QM615123 (55mm diameter piston) is not evenly positioned over the brake pad. The caliper piston circumference sits right at the outer edge of the brake pad.

This means there is more pressure applied on the outer edge of the 312mm rotor than on the inner edge. Having removed and inspected the brake pads, I could clearly see the outer section of the pad being worn more than the inner section.

I wish I had noticed the position of the piston over the brake pad when I originally did the upgrade. Unfortunately now I have to waste more $$$ on new rotors, pads and (calipers part #8V0615123D which have 57mm diameter pistons) so it will be a balanced fit over the brake pads.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I just wanted to give an update on this 312mm rotor upgrade.

It's been approximately ~1 year since Ive done this upgrade, but I have noticed that about ~2cm on the outer edge on the 312mm rotor is extra shiny.

I have investigated this in more detail tonight by taking everything apart and noticed my factory caliper part #5QM615123 (55mm diameter piston) is not evenly positioned over the brake pad. The caliper piston circumference sits right at the outer edge of the brake pad.

This means there is more pressure applied on the outer edge of the 312mm rotor than on the inner edge. Having removed and inspected the brake pads, I could clearly see the outer section of the pad being worn more than the inner section.

I wish I had noticed the position of the piston over the brake pad when I originally did the upgrade. Unfortunately now I have to waste more $$$ on new rotors, pads and (calipers part #8V0615123D which have 57mm diameter pistons) so it will be a balanced fit over the brake pads.

This how to guide upgrade is from the 288mm to the 312mm...as the same calliper & pads are used for both systems.

The next size down is the 276mm disc but this uses a differ setup & the pads/callipers are not interchangeable with either the 288mm or the 312mm systems..

So I am at a lose as to what you have done....or how you say you have a 55mm piston?...the size is written on the side of the caliper..usually the part facing the rear face of disc..

The part number you give is for a 288mm disc/caliper...PR code 1ZPE/1ZP...same as mine..

EDIT...just found that in USA there are two callipers quoted for the 1ZE/1ZP codes & both for the 288mm discs..(again no piston size info on ETKA)..

8V0 615 123 (mine) up to june 2014

5QM 615 123 yours from July 2014

Last edited:

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
5QM 615 123 has a 55mm diameter piston. I have measured it while i had the caliper out.

And yes, the 5QM 615 123 fits on the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers, however as I said, the piston is positioned a little offset on the brake pad.

The inner part of the pad has less piston surface coverage than the outer part of the pad.

I believe your 8V0 615 123 caliper is the correct fit for the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers.

So to clarify, the reason why you have a flawless fit is because you are using the 8V0 615 123 calipers in combination with the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers.
I need to dump the 5QM 615 123 caliper and get the 8V0 615 123 model.

To give a basic illustration of what I mean in case someone does not understand look look at this:

Last edited:

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
Hmmm. I have a 2017 Golf. I would think I would have the latter caliper. I do not, however, have any unusual wear on my rotors. I have had them installed for about 9 months.

Yes, but if you have the factory 5QM 615 123 caliper, are you using it in combination with the 312mm rotor and the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
5QM 615 123 has a 55mm diameter piston. I have measured it while i had the caliper out.

And yes, the 5QM 615 123 fits on the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers, however as I said, the piston is positioned a little offset on the brake pad.

The inner part of the pad has less piston surface coverage than the outer part of the pad.

I believe your 8V0 615 123 caliper is the correct fit for the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers.

So to clarify, the reason why you have a flawless fit is because you are using the 8V0 615 123 calipers in combination with the 8V0 615 125A/126A carriers.
I need to dump the 5QM 615 123 caliper and get the 8V0 615 123 model.

I know that my calliper would be a flawless fit as its the same calliper used on the GTI/GTD besides the paint job...I contacted TRW UK ..TRW make the brakes...

Just what I did NOT know was that your Mexico built car would have a smaller piston version option for the 288mm disc....

I did speculate earlier in this thread that looking at the disc/piston ratios that VW should have made a piston 55mm in size to work better with the 288mm disc as the 57mm piston is to big for the 288mm disc as it is designed for the 312mm disc...

What I did not know then was that they do for the NAR market....

just goes to show my maths was right...:cool:

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
great info on here. i am considering getting base model carriers and rotors for my gti to be able to fit 15 in wheels easily for drag racing.
now i know its a simple carrier/rotor swap!
btw i would be swapping between the 2 not downgrading permanently