GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory air duct with dual cut outs

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
And hot air that's blended with engine air, then it gets heated across the top of the radiator. Yes it helps give you nice cold air. I have had it open for a year and drove through snow and rain. No issues at all

I think only blended air would come in at very low speeds.
The intake flow is enough I am sure to keep intake air fresh.
A lot of air flow through engine and under car when driving.
But as you stated not likely a big issue we could determine a reason to not open.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I think only blended air would come in at very low speeds.
The intake flow is enough I am sure to keep intake air fresh.
A lot of air flow through engine and under car when driving.
But as you stated not likely a big issue we could determine a reason to not open.

There is no direct path of cold air into the intake at all. It goes directly to the engine bay. The top section above that vent then pulls are from the engine side. It's definitely mixed air at best. That air then has to travel across the top of the hot radiator where it makes a 90 degree bend into the intake. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out that cutting out the vent definitely helps. I'm not sure what member in here who did it, but it's been tested on how it affects IAT and the actual compressor cycle. It works. The specific reason why VW does not do it from the factory is for emissions and noise regulations. The same reason no other manufacturer is putting any type of short ram, cold air intake on their cars unless it is a specific high performance model

Elwood

3-7-77
I just opened up mine. I'm thinking about blocking the airflow from the passenger side. It'd be easy enough to stick something in the box. Air could still flow into the engine compartment, but none of that air would get into the intake.

Junkboy

I just opened up mine. I'm thinking about blocking the airflow from the passenger side. It'd be easy enough to stick something in the box. Air could still flow into the engine compartment, but none of that air would get into the intake.
I just took some old abs plastic and plastic weld mine. I don't know how much of a difference it made.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
Does this result in less intake air restriction or create less turbulent intake air?

Until I see some decent numbers, I'm not convinced doing these minor things to lower IAT before the turbo warrant the effort.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I blocked mine off as well. All I know is that this set up allows me to daily drive with my stock IS12 peaking at 23 psi and tapering to 17 on 3-4 gallons of e85. On 93 I peak at 19.5 and taper to 14. Car runs great and I feel it makes a difference

There's a suitable OE part to block the factory hole on rear:

5Q0 129 849

Another idea for those willing to place the battery in the trunk:

Trying the bigger Passat/Arteon 240 HP TDI airbox. Remember
Diesel engines use to have a significantly higher air requirement.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

5Q0 129 849

Can this be sourced locally?

EDIT..

Called a VW dealership and apparently this is not a US market part.. Would like to know what my be involved getting one...

Last edited:

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
245cars has it for $17.45. Just cut and paste part number in search box.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ordered..

Thanks!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S

5Q0 129 849

Another idea for those willing to place the battery in the trunk:

Trying the bigger Passat/Arteon 240 HP TDI airbox. Remember
Diesel engines use to have a significantly higher air requirement.

Thanks for the part number! Ordered it this afternoon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk