Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I'm a tough guy, but sometimes I waiver.

TechRoss

Ready to race!
I had a different experience the other day, rush hour freeway traffic so just cruising. Saw the WRX doing the crazy zig zag in out traffic thing in the mirror. When he got next to me, wound down the window, biggest grin I have ever seen, and a big thumbs up. Then dropped back and drove like everybody else. Maybe wanted to see what the GTI with the big rear spoiler was.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I think it's the lack of wave comes from too many people having golfs and GTIs as daily drivers. When I hade the wrx everyone waved, never been in a car that was a universal wave as much as then.
So I've heard. Why is that though? Why is it a performance badge from Subi seems to have more hardcore owners then what is often considered the equivilent from VW? I mean, prices are about the same for trim levels...it isn't like the WRX is more exclusive to anyone. Just weird to me that somebody who just wants a Golf, would spend the extra on a GTI, without wholeheartedly wanted a GTI specifically. It's like a TDI, you don't accidentally buy a TDI lol. You bought it because you specifically wanted it.

It VW's sign and drive events killing the comradary? Lol. I know when I ride with my brother in his WRX, every Subi with a hood scoop waves.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I had a different experience the other day, rush hour freeway traffic so just cruising. Saw the WRX doing the crazy zig zag in out traffic thing in the mirror. When he got next to me, wound down the window, biggest grin I have ever seen, and a big thumbs up. Then dropped back and drove like everybody else. Maybe wanted to see what the GTI with the big rear spoiler was.
Hell yea! See, cross brand recognition is even better imo. Makes us VW guys look like tough guys lol.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Well, coming from a ZL1 Camaro, there were more waves from fellow Camaro owners which I participated in (also owned a C5 Vette where the wave is common practice). Now as I have an R as my daily diver, have not noticed the waves here in FL from the GTI/R crowd. I did try the wave a few times I spotted a GTI across from me but did not receive a response - not even sure the other driver spotted me. One thing is that just about every GTI/R I have noticed has dark tints (a must here in FL) and it makes it much more difficult to actually see inside another car across the way......so I may be guilty of being a "tough guy" and not waving at times as I never saw it. ;)
Yea, I often wonder if the other guys could even see my face through my tint lol.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'd wave too, or at least would have back when that bus was newer...I'm married now :D Btw, is that girl your daughter? Because if it's your daughter, then never mind about all that waving stuff :eek:

Ha! Ha!
No, not my daughter - I'm married too.
Just an image I found on Pinterest.

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
Decades ago when I had a Corvette, vette drivers would always wave at each other. The cars were distinctive enough that they were easily spotted, so that tended to make the drivers very aware of other vettes they ran across.

I haven't done any waving in the GTI, and haven't really noticed it as a "thang" from other drivers. This is probably because I am largely oblivious to the existence of other GTI's - the car isn't distinctive-looking enough for me to readily pick them out on the highway. Driving around in our part of the country, there is an absolute swarm of roughly similar-looking small hatchback like cars, and unless I am close enough to see the badges they are pretty much indistinguishable to me.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Hell yea! See, cross brand recognition is even better imo. Makes us VW guys look like tough guys lol.

I especially enjoy cross-brand complementing. I ran into a kid in the parking lot of a diner in my hometown who had bought a Veloster Turbo. This was a few years back when I had my Focus ST. He immediately came over as I pulled up and told me "nice car", etc. I could have been a dick and said, "hey thanks" and walked in. Instead, after doing show and tell of my Stage 3 ST, I had him take me over to his car (I hate Veloster Turbos :D , but this kid deserved some ego-stroking) and I ooh'ed and ah'ed over it. I hope it made his day, as it really looked like his pride and joy, and I assume he had a sizable chunk of his young paycheck going toward it. I figure it's better to spread good vibes any time of the day than be like a typical BMW driver, if you know what I mean.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So I've heard. Why is that though? Why is it a performance badge from Subi seems to have more hardcore owners then what is often considered the equivilent from VW? I mean, prices are about the same for trim levels...it isn't like the WRX is more exclusive to anyone. Just weird to me that somebody who just wants a Golf, would spend the extra on a GTI, without wholeheartedly wanted a GTI specifically. It's like a TDI, you don't accidentally buy a TDI lol. You bought it because you specifically wanted it.

It VW's sign and drive events killing the comradary? Lol. I know when I ride with my brother in his WRX, every Subi with a hood scoop waves.

I agree 100%.
They don't even advertise GTI's. (Rarely anyway, there was the "Dream" commercial recently.)
I can't imagine too many people stumble into a VW dealership and come home with a GTI.
It's the kind of car - like the WRX, that most people who get - "know."

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I especially enjoy cross-brand complementing. I ran into a kid in the parking lot of a diner in my hometown who had bought a Veloster Turbo. This was a few years back when I had my Focus ST. He immediately came over as I pulled up and told me "nice car", etc. I could have been a dick and said, "hey thanks" and walked in. Instead, after doing show and tell of my Stage 3 ST, I had him take me over to his car (I hate Veloster Turbos :D , but this kid deserved some ego-stroking) and I ooh'ed and ah'ed over it. I hope it made his day, as it really looked like his pride and joy, and I assume he had a sizable chunk of his young paycheck going toward it. I figure it's better to spread good vibes any time of the day than be like a typical BMW driver, if you know what I mean.

Nice work. :cool:
You did the right thing.
Put yourself in the position of that kid. Imagine if a different GTI owner acted all douchey to him?
You did us proud.

BigMac629

Passed Driver's Ed
Life is too short... I always wave! Spread the GTI love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Wow that made me feel warm and fuzzy.