GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > OFF-TOPIC Lounge

Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #35
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogokin View Post
I don't see many...if any homeless in my neck of the woods. I do see lots when I go to DTLA. I have friends who own lots of guns. You might not be able to get certain types of guns in CA...but you can own them. My cousin has soome pre ban guns from years ago. I recently came across a couple semi auto pistols I liked...but are not legal in CA. Oh well...buying another set of wheels instead.
I spent a bit of time in San Fran on business years ago. I saw plenty of homeless. It's much worse now, and drugs are really bad.

I also was in San Diego a few times, but like the rest of Cali you can't even carry a knife for self-defense. I'm in great shape for my age but I know I won't stand a chance against 2 youths. You can't get a carry permit there or in San Fran, and a contact stun gun won't cut it.

Many of the people leaving are retired and can't afford to live there any more. While I can afford to live there, why should I give a big chunk of my income for taxes to a state where I need to pay for their mismanagement and high number of people on welfare? The crime alone in those cities should make you shudder as much as the cost for homes.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #36
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I spent a bit of time in San Fran on business years ago. I saw plenty of homeless. It's much worse now, and drugs are really bad.

I also was in San Diego a few times, but like the rest of Cali you can't even carry a knife for self-defense. I'm in great shape for my age but I know I won't stand a chance against 2 youths. You can't get a carry permit there or in San Fran, and a contact stun gun won't cut it.

Many of the people leaving are retired and can't afford to live there any more. While I can afford to live there, why should I give a big chunk of my income for taxes to a state where I need to pay for their mismanagement and high number of people on welfare? The crime alone in those cities should make you shudder as much as the cost for homes.
The homeless can be found anywhere in any city in any state.

Its legal to carry a knife in California as long as it's not a switchblade or over four inches long. I carry a folding knife with me wherever I go. Its clipped in my pocket. It's got a three inch blade.

My house is paid off. My finances are good...so no need to worry about that.
Chogokin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #37
BadHombre760

Drives: 2017 GTI SE Stage 1 (6MT)
Quote:
The people that seem to be leaving CA are the ones that are struggling. I know people that did more out of CA where costs of living are lower. The people that aren't struggling...have no reason to move out of California. My family...friends all live in to So Cal...none of them plan on moving out of state.

I like to ride my bike...and I get to do it year round here. I lived in an area where it rains all spring...humid summers...really cold in the winter for almost three years...I don't want to go back to that. I like it where I am now.
Poor people love living in California more than anyone. The people that are sick of getting taxed out the ass are the ones wanting to get out. It doesn't take long to get sick of paying 40% taxes to feds and state, then add in property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, $400 annual vehicle registration, etc. All kinds of other big reasons too.... major fires every year, droughts, terrible traffic, idiotic gun laws.

Last edited by BadHombre760; 11-14-2018 at 07:06 AM.
BadHombre760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #38
Charlotte.:R

Drives: '18 Golf R
Quote:

Sure, but you'll find more of them in CA

https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/#fn[]=1500&fn[]=2900&fn[]=6100&fn[]=10100&fn[]=14100
Charlotte.:R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:47 AM   #39
bayarea7

Drives: GTI S 6 Speed
I'm Northern Cali Born and Raised. The homeless problem in the city (SF) is crazy and is spreading to the suburban east bay area. We have a feces and needle problem in San Francisco and BART (Our subway). It is absolutely atrocious.

We have our problems, but I love living here and would like to spend the rest of my days here. I'm glad I can afford to live here very comfortably, as I'm the first to say the cost of living is in another dimension. My short stint in Phoenix showed how far a dollar can go. It was amazing. But home is home.
bayarea7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #40
The Fed

Quote:

Its legal to carry a knife in California as long as it's not a switchblade or over four inches long. I carry a folding knife with me wherever I go. Its clipped in my pocket. It's got a three inch blade.

My house is paid off. My finances are good...so no need to worry about that.
What are you going to do with a knife only 4" long, pare grapes? Like Crocodile Dundee states, "that's not a knife". I hope you tell the thugs with guns, "no fairsies".
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #41
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
Cool story bro.
Chogokin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #42
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
What's that? I can't hear you for the hacking and coughing.
Good one!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #43
The Fed

APR's take on Prop 65:

https://www.goapr.com/prop65/
Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
BadHombre760

It's only a matter of time before California bans knives, just like London did. Honestly I'd rather fist fight someone as long as they're not way bigger than me. Otherwise I'd be too concerned about dropping the knife and them getting it, especially if there's more than one of them.

A guy, apparently having the worse day of his life, started road raging at me a few weeks ago over nothing, got out of his car, and began hitting me through my window. I had to jump out and fix him up real quick.. could've grabbed my knife but 1- I didn't feel threatened enough to use it and 2- I'm not trying to deal with the cops over stabbing some random f*cking idiot
Old 11-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #45
NeedSleep

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHombre760 View Post
It's only a matter of time before California bans knives, just like London did. Honestly I'd rather fist fight someone as long as they're not way bigger than me. Otherwise I'd be too concerned about dropping the knife and them getting it, especially if there's more than one of them.

A guy, apparently having the worse day of his life, started road raging at me a few weeks ago over nothing, got out of his car, and began hitting me through my window. I had to jump out and fix him up real quick.. could've grabbed my knife but 1- I didn't feel threatened enough to use it and 2- I'm not trying to deal with the cops over stabbing some random f*cking idiot
Damn, good thing you're ok. Where in socal was this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #46
BadHombre760

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSleep View Post
Damn, good thing you're ok. Where in socal was this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Hwy 79 in Temecula

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #47
Charlotte.:R

Drives: '18 Golf R
Quote:
Marquess of Queensberry rules don't exactly exist among the criminal element of society.

Quote:
That scenario would be justifiable grounds for lethal force in a lot of states.
Charlotte.:R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #48
BadHombre760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte.:R View Post
That scenario would be justifiable grounds for lethal force in a lot of states.
There's no "Stand your ground" law here in California. I'd be hesitant to shoot a home invader in the back, because it could be ruled as unjustified if he was trying to flee after seeing the gun