GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Regional Forums > UNITED KINGDOM

Old 11-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
JimboS

Drives: MK7 GTD ORYX WHITE 2014.+.MK5 GT TDI 140@345k+>+
Replace Key Battery! on dash display.

Had my 2014 GTD about a month. only came with 1 key, which I was going to get round to getting a second spare, but have just had `Replace Key Battery!` come up on the dash display!
Anyone know how long I`ve got to replace it??
Thanks.
[New member].
JimboS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
I do not know how long before it will be inoperable. I just replaced as it is fairly straightforward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UBfkLCbu0

Also if key ever becomes inoperable and you have keyless, you need to pry the cover off the handle to use key to open car, and then place key right up to the steering column and then press start.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
JimboS

Drives: MK7 GTD ORYX WHITE 2014.+.MK5 GT TDI 140@345k+>+
brilliant. thanks v much. will get it done now.
JimboS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Jon

Drives: Golf SE
I'd be wondering about the whereabouts of the second key. Was the car bought through a dealer/garage or privately?

Eric Olthwaite
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
SRGTD

Drives: Polo GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'd be wondering about the whereabouts of the second key. Was the car bought through a dealer/garage or privately?
That was my first thought too.

Iíd be arranging to get a second key and having the keys reprogrammed, so if whoever has the missing key knows the whereabouts of the OPís car, the key in their possession wonít work.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
ColinStone

Drives: MKVII 2016 Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
Just had both 3 year old keys with same display. 2 x 2025 batteries required. Easy job.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Gordon F

Drives: Golf Mk7 GTD Manual Estate
Had one of mine just die yesterday with no dash warning at all. Had to use the other set to use the car as it's keyless. Put new battery in dead set and now working fine. Car is two years old next month.
Gordon F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
kinch

Drives: mk7 gtd and Nova sr
A 2032 battery will fit as well. It is only 0.7mm thicker and fits no problem. It should also last longer than a 2025 and the Panasonic 2032 are very cheap for a pack from b&m.
kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
s1monc

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI & F80 M3
Iím guessing you replaced it weeks ago!

I had the same message on my wifeís GTI and forgot about it, about a week later I was stranded and my daughter had to drive out to me with the spare fob. Itís crazy the whole car shuts down if the tiny little £0.99p battery goes flat!
I changed batteries in both fobs. The car was only about 18 months old. Iíve got a keyless entry M3 which is coming up 4 years old and never put a battery in it.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
SRGTD

Drives: Polo GTI
@s1monc; it probably wasnít necessary to get your daughter to bring you your spare key. If your key fob battery dies without warning, you can open the driverís door by prising off the rear section of the driverís door handle (being careful not to damage the paintwork!) to reveal a key hole and then use the key blade to unlock the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OejkrSX3ei0

If youíve got keyless start, the YouTube video at the link above also shows how to start the car when the key fob battery is dead. Itís s USA car in the video, but the opening and starting procedure will be the same for a UK Golf.