GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error: Service Vehicle

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
5Q1713041E. Price back in June was $310. There are a host of other parts to expose if you go DIY, including the underbelly to reuse the shift cable. I would pursue dealer route post haste. :)
What's the worst that would happen if you just ignore the error message for the life of the car? Lol

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Kyle1116

Ready to race!
Old thread but I’m having this same problem here, took it to my dealer and they said I have to replace the gear shift assembly. It’s taken 2 days so far, still haven’t gotten my baby back :(

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
5Q1713041E. Price back in June was $310. There are a host of other parts to expose if you go DIY, including the underbelly to reuse the shift cable. I would pursue dealer route post haste. :)

It was at the dealer yesterday and with VWoA support to help cover it under warranty (went over CPO mileage between the error/calling VW and first available appointment). Dealer scanned and found no faults and sent me on my way. I do not intend to DIY, I was just trying to find the cost to prepare my butthole when the inevitable happens... again. It seems like this is such a common problem and I would hope that VW would issue a warranty extension for this part.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
It was at the dealer yesterday and with VWoA support to help cover it under warranty (went over CPO mileage between the error/calling VW and first available appointment). Dealer scanned and found no faults and sent me on my way. I do not intend to DIY, I was just trying to find the cost to prepare my butthole when the inevitable happens... again. It seems like this is such a common problem and I would hope that VW would issue a warranty extension for this part.
How frustrating. This insta-flash error thing with no trace afterwards, at least dealer side, is what that old saying is all about: 'it always works for the technician'.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
How frustrating. This insta-flash error thing with no trace afterwards, at least dealer side, is what that old saying is all about: 'it always works for the technician'.

Yes, especially considering that exactly 1 year ago I pulled the same code and same error on the dash and they replaced it under warranty. I caught a bit of the tech/advisor's conversation via my dash cam and they were basically making fun of me after not finding the fault using their scanner. Something to the effect of "that idiot must have had the door open and saw the 'shift to park' message" and something like "sorry Charlie, not this time."

It really frustrates me that they take this attitude, especially since I attempted a warranty repair. The system is far from setup to benefit the customer. Last year when this repair was done, I had to bring the car in 3 additional times because the tech was lazy and didn't put the car back together properly each time. I was told the tech would stay after quitting time to make it right and he didn't, I had to take time off work. The final time I returned they brought the car to me and the driving mode button was not working. The tech saw me, the advisor, and another employee trying to figure it out. He popped his head in and then went home because it was after 5:00.

They loathe the informed customer. Yes, I have a VAGCOM/VCDS. Yes, I research the things wrong with my car so I can be an informed consumer but I am constantly met with attitude, contradiction, and I am forced to "fight" to receive proper service. I'm done.

Needless to say, since my warranty is now up, I will not be going back to the dealer any longer except for parts (parts mgr is an enthusiast and an all-around nice guy).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Warranties are almost always a headache. Either they don't do it right or ruin something in the process because they are either lazy, incompetent, or in a hurry.

Sometimes I contemplate selling my Saab, then I remember there is literally nothing I can't fix on the car now that I have a tech2. Replace and program an ECU? Easy. Swap out to some 19's on rubber bands and need to adjust tire size for speedo? Simple reprogramming. Alarm broken? Disable it. Cost me a couple hundred bucks form China. Never need a mechanic ever again.

I suspect one can't replace and program an ECU on a MK7 without dealer support, but maybe one day.....

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

According to the invoice I saw showing what I would have paid if I didn't have a CPO warranty it would have cost close to $800. They claimed it was a half day job so I'm sure most of that was labor.

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The service advisor I spoke to said that there was a pending recall waiting to be issued for this, but my 2017 GTI VIN is not included.