GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof creaking

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
My 390 mile 2018 GTI sunroof just had it's first creaking sound today. It's the first day of it being a little colder(low 60s) at night in LA and driving to dinner I noticed a creaking sound from my sunroof when I went over some dips and bumps. Is this normal for a new GTI? I just came from an 11 yr old Mercedes with zero creaks or rattles. I would have used the Search function, but I am on an Android tablet and it will not seem to let search bar work. Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks.

TigerWoods

I’m in Tucson, similar weather I suppose.. I’m sitting at 290mi and haven’t heard any creaks... yet. I’ll keep my ear out

I did have the “sunroof button” problem that requires a reset though, kind of concerning I had to do it so soon

Last edited:

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Fully closed. Kind of irritated and I was with a guest going to dinner boasting about the car on the way to dinner. Sucks you had an early issue too. My last two cars, a CLK550 and Infinit G35 had no issues for 50k.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
The sunroof is one of the most common noise places on these cars, there are countless threads about sunroofs creaking, squeaking, squealing, leaking, whistling, etc. I'm at 42k and haven't heard anything, then again I always have the windows down or music blasting so I'm not sure I would even notice if there were any sounds.

Take it to the dealer if it is something that bothers you and occurs often.

TigerWoods

It’s so unfortunate that something so simple can be defective right off the bat with a $30,000 list priced car.. like supermoto suggested, I would take it to the dealership whether it bothers you or not.

knollMk7

Ready to race!
You're new here right? do a search on sunroof creaking or noise. Try one of the Forum member's fixes, I would advise not relying on a dealer although you might want to have them take a shot at it just to put the complaint on record.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can't really compare your car to a Mercedes to Infiniti, cars that cost 2-3 times what a lowly VW costs. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
My 390 mile 2018 GTI sunroof just had it's first creaking sound today. It's the first day of it being a little colder(low 60s) at night in LA and driving to dinner I noticed a creaking sound from my sunroof when I went over some dips and bumps. Is this normal for a new GTI? I just came from an 11 yr old Mercedes with zero creaks or rattles. I would have used the Search function, but I am on an Android tablet and it will not seem to let search bar work. Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks.

I'm getting the same (doesn't do it when it's open). Has been happening for about a month on my '18. I guess I've learned to just ignore it until I can get some time to lube it all up w/whatever is recommended on these forums (I think I saved it somewhere...) and see if that helps.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
All cars have rattles..its hard to believe your mercedes and infiniti does not.

my 2018 on the rare occasion has a rattle. It doesn't bother me. You'll soon get the armrest rattle. Just remove the little door flap in the armrest when you do get it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
All cars have rattles..its hard to believe your mercedes and infiniti does not.

Baloney. I've driven plenty of cars with zero rattles. The 25k mile Camry rental in the garage right now is as solid and rattle-free as a showroom-new Bentley. It's got plenty of other foibles, like a ridiculously crappy infotainment system for how new it is, but squeaks and rattles are non-existent.

Now if you'd said "all VWs have rattles" I would be agreeing with you. This has been a VW bugaboo for decades that they can't seem to (or care to) solve to any decent degree.

eljay1

Passed Driver's Ed
KevinC said:
Baloney. I've driven plenty of cars with zero rattles. The 25k mile Camry rental in the garage right now is as solid and rattle-free as a showroom-new Bentley. It's got plenty of other foibles, like a ridiculously crappy infotainment system for how new it is, but squeaks and rattles are non-existent. ...
Agreed. My previous car was a fairly inexpensive Mazda3 - ~6-1/2 years old w/ ~90K km on it - and the only improper noise it ever made was a clutch pedal squeak. Nothing else that shouldn't have made a sound ever made a sound (not even the sunroof).