GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 oil funnel hack!

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
I did my first oil change a month ago and notice a standard size oil funnel does not fit securely in the oil fill hole. I used a smaller funnel but it took forever to fill 6 quarts.
I thought of this hack to make filling the oil in a mk7 engine much simpler, safer and FASTER with a larger funnel! There is an oil funnel made for this car but cost 30 bucks..yeah no thanks. You can alter your current one basically for nothing if you already have the items below:

Medium/Large size Oil funnel
Heatgun (gas stove would work too)
Pliers
Compressed air sprayer

1) Heat up the spout of your oil funnel

2) Use your pliers to pinch the spout enough so it can fit in the oil filler hole

3) Turn your compressed air upside down and spray the spout. The freezing air will permanently freeze the spout to it's new shape

4) Insert the newly shaped spout into the funnel

My funnel is sitting deep and snug in the oil filler hole now

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Good idea. I have a funnel that fits the round opening part pretty well. Good enough to hold still when I top it off. I like yours better.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Is there any chance of breaking off any metal parts of the oil filler opening and having them drop into the motor? There is a horrific story of someone with a Mk6 that did just that and it cost him an engine.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Is there any chance of breaking off any metal parts of the oil filler opening and having them drop into the motor? There is a horrific story of someone with a Mk6 that did just that and it cost him an engine.

funnel is made out of plastic. no metal part.
if you drop anyting thru open holes anywhere on the engine, it will cost you a lot of money anyway.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016

What? How can you break an engine by gently inserting a plastic funnel in the oil filler hole? The oil filler opening is plastic (our valve covers are plastic)..no metal parts that i am aware of...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Black magic:

Pour in one oil bottle, then cut the bottom off and use that as the funnel.

Hard to do when you buy it in 5L jugs. An alternative is - scrape together three dollars, stop by auto parts store on the way home from work and buy a skinny funnel.