GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it normal for the AC to turn on without hitting the button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Mine turns on when i hit the re-circulate button. This is really really annoying...and creates unnecessary wear on the ac system.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
My MK4 didn't do this, if you wanted the AC on you pressed the AC button.

And if you don't want the AC on you press a button on the MK7 not sure your point? WTF

VW why make things so hard? Must code out AC at once.

OP needs to go find a MK4 cause obviously they have better buttons.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Mine turns on when i hit the re-circulate button. This is really really annoying...and creates unnecessary wear on the ac system.

It's intentional. Imagine having 4 passengers, sweating and breathing. This would cause the windows to fog up, thus posing a safety concern. A/C kicks on to dry the air to prevent fogging.

I'm really surprised how little people know about how the HVAC system in their car works.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

Actually it's better on the entire system, especially the compressor, to run the A/C occasionally when it's not hot out. You could likely do more long term damage leaving it dormant than running it.

Anything that sits unused for a period of time can be worse off than something that is used (but not abused). Even in the cold months I try and run the A/C once a month or so for 10-15 minutes, unless it's in the deep cold of Winter.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Actually it's better on the entire system, especially the compressor, to run the A/C occasionally when it's not hot out. You could likely do more long term damage leaving it dormant than running it.

Anything that sits unused for a period of time can be worse off than something that is used (but not abused). Even in the cold months I try and run the A/C once a month or so for 10-15 minutes, unless it's in the deep cold of Winter.

I do not believe the ac unit needs to be turned on every once in a while. My old car (2001 integra) is still on it's original AC unit. I used the AC only in summer and even then, I barely used it. No leaks, no unusual noises and blows colder than my GTI :)

It's intentional. Imagine having 4 passengers, sweating and breathing. This would cause the windows to fog up, thus posing a safety concern. A/C kicks on to dry the air to prevent fogging.

I'm really surprised how little people know about how the HVAC system in their car works.

I know how the HVAC works. The recirculate button does miracles when you drive through a stinky part of the road and the AC does not need to turn on for this, especially if it's already cold outside...

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
What's with all the rude and juvenile responses? Some of you guys give an intelligent replies, but the rest of you sound like teenagers.

As a couple of other people have mentioned above, another situation is when you hit the recirculate button that causes the AC to come on. I do this when I'm behind a diesel truck or if I drive past this dusty landscaping supply company by my house. The AC kicks on every time and it's annoying. Yes, I'm capable of turning it off by hitting the AC button, but as someone else mentioned, it's wear on the system and it's a stupid design. If it's cold outside and I turn down the heat after I'm warm enough, why is so unreasonable to not want the AC to kick on when I adjust the temperature? I've never had a car do this before.

I also don't like having to deactivate the start stop system every time I get in the car. It's something I plan to deactivate when I get OBD11.

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, turning your temperature all the way to the blue does not turn your climate control system off, it lowers the temperature. Turn your fans off. I hate to say it but its really common sense. All AC's work the same way. Posts like this make me sad. "Edit your post to say "Why does my A/C turn on when I turn the knob to 'Max A/C' setting?"

Where did I say anything about wanting to turn the fans or the entire climate control system off? I was simply giving an example of how the AC turned on when unwanted. I turned the heat off, meaning turned the temperature down, but didn't turn the fans off. There's an off button, but I prefer to leave the fan on 1. No other car I've owned, including previous VWs did this. Is that so hard to fathom?

sar316

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did I say anything about wanting to turn the fans or the entire climate control system off? I was simply giving an example of how the AC turned on when unwanted. I turned the heat off, meaning turned the temperature down, but didn't turn the fans off. There's an off button, but I prefer to leave the fan on 1. No other car I've owned, including previous VWs did this. Is that so hard to fathom?
Seemed pretty clear to me... dunno why turning the heat down was so confusing.

Looked thru the AC coding today but didn't see anything that stood out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!
to OP

not really sure how old you are, but that is how climate control systems have worked for that last 10 to 15 years.

please take some time to read the owners manual, or you tube owners manual.

beers

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
What's with all the rude and juvenile responses? Some of you guys give an intelligent replies, but the rest of you sound like teenagers.

As a couple of other people have mentioned above, another situation is when you hit the recirculate button that causes the AC to come on. I do this when I'm behind a diesel truck or if I drive past this dusty landscaping supply company by my house. The AC kicks on every time and it's annoying. Yes, I'm capable of turning it off by hitting the AC button, but as someone else mentioned, it's wear on the system and it's a stupid design. If it's cold outside and I turn down the heat after I'm warm enough, why is so unreasonable to not want the AC to kick on when I adjust the temperature? I've never had a car do this before.

I also don't like having to deactivate the start stop system every time I get in the car. It's something I plan to deactivate when I get OBD11.

It's hardly going to wear out your HVAC system lol

adam1991

Banned
I love my car, but one of the things that annoy me is the AC turning itself on, even though I don't hit the button itself. For example, today I had the heat turned up slightly between blue and red. When I was warm enough, I turned it off by moving the dial all the way into the blue, then the AC and recirculate light come on automatically. It's so annoying! My car is a 2018 GTI S, by the way. I'm hoping this can be turned off somehow if I decide to get OBD11.

You turn it off by turning the fan off.

If you want fan on but outside air only with no AC, you then hit the AC button to turn the AC off.

Status
Not open for further replies.