GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Here We Go Again... Options For an Inch or Less

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Hi guys! I've been lurking on here for a while trying to soak up knowledge and info since I got my 2015 1.8 Golf. Recently just upgraded to a 2018 GTI and I'm stoked! But I got a bit of the mod bug...

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but what's our consensus for springs that lower an inch, preferably less. Why? Because I'm going to cheap out and reuse my OEM shocks while I save up (probably) for a set of coilovers. I know I'm looking to have my cake and eat it too, but I'm looking for slightly stiffer than stock without overworking and subsequently blowing up the shocks too quickly and/or having a terrible harsh and bouncy ride. So, this is primarily a cosmetic mod. I will likely add for a RSB to limit body roll a little more. And yes, I know stock shocks with lowering springs will always kill shocks more quickly. Just looking to prolong their untimely death as long as possible!

Of course we have DG springs. I want to love them, but I really can't tell much difference from stock when looking at pictures. Though some of the more recent DG pics appear slightly lower on the 18 GTIs. Or Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Lately I've been hearing some not so positive comments about the ride (bouncy, mushy).

H&R OE Sport. Depending on the day of the week, I feel like going with these. The drop looks lovely for .75", but maybe because it's not a true .75" and in reality, it's a little more. A couple members have them installed and have good things to say. Both are on upgraded shocks, if I'm not mistaken. So maybe I wouldn't have the best things to say if I installed them.

Eibach Pro-Kit Euro. I obviously love the drop the most on this. Linear springs sounds like a decent match for the OEM shocks, but I also could just be making things up. After numerous reports of shocks dying very prematurely and also a bouncy ride quality due in part to progressive springs and a 1.2" with VMR, I'm trying to convince myself my shocks would be much better off with .2" less drop and linear springs. Realistically, the Pro-Kits probably aren't the best match for OEM shocks out of the options listed, but they sure do look pretty.

I have a 6MT S model. Not sure how the lack of DSG and sunroof play into the equation here.

Despite pages and pages of information already posted, are there any new thoughts/comments/experiences/revelations for the minimal drop crowd? Particularly regarding ride quality and shock longevity when using the H&R OE Sport springs.

The GTI is super fun and a big upgrade from the 1.8 Golf, and I'm really enjoying it. But the wheel gap does make a little sad, and slightly improved handling is always a nice. That is, if slightly improved handling and stock shocks can even be in the same sentence!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I have DG springs with stock shocks and am very pleased with them. It' is perfect balance of comfort and sport for me, though it is highly subjective so it may not be as performance oriented as some would like. The springs have has about 13k KM on them so they have settled about a quarter inch more . When the time comes to replace my dampers, Bilstein B8's will be going in.

Last edited:

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Honestly unless you are tracking your car, coilovers are a waste of money for most. Personally I would get H&R OE Sports with Koni Yellow/Bilstein dampers. If it were me I would wait and throw on the springs/dampers together instead of putting springs with the stock dampers and burning them out. Since the car is brand new you could probably sell the stock springs/dampers instead of toasting them.

benpaul

Passed Driver's Ed
I am getting H&R Sports installed tomorrow, this will give me a 30mm (1.18in) drop. Pairing with moving from 17in to 18in I won't have a huge drop but enough to give me the look I am after.

Will do more when the stock shocks start feeling crap (which could be immediately or not).

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
I have DG springs with stock shocks...

Clem, that looks great! Yours was the first that came to mind when I said the DG’s look a little lower on the mk7.5s actually lol. I too have pure white, and I would LOVE to be up in Vancouver... with my mountain bikes haha.

Honestly unless you are tracking your car, coilovers are a waste of money for most. Personally I would get H&R OE Sports with Koni Yellow/Bilstein dampers.

Tbh, you’re right haha. But, I had BC’s in my g20 and loved them! Probably what I missed most the entire time I was in the Golf. And I like the idea of camber plates even though idk what I’m doing with them lol (-1.5ish with a moderate drop could be cool because racecar. Also totally ignorant to the nuances of it all so there’s also that:rolleyes:). Mostly love the idea of the install - pop out the unit in the car, throw in the coilovers. A spring tht plays nicely with the OEM shocks, if a set exits, would be a nice placeholder.

And realistically, I can accomplish everything I want to with springs and Koni Yellows. But at that point I’m only about $1-200 away from coilovers, not including mounting hardware. Plus I really like the idea of tinkering. As I say that I realize how much of a blessing it might be to just keep it simple though.

I am getting H&R Sports installed tomorrow, this will give me a 30mm (1.18in) drop...

Awesome! Should come out pretty sweet!

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Just puttin my 2 cents in here, I read this earlier and im not sure the pricing but b8's or koni yellows + springs your looking at a little less $ then coilovers, i dont plan to track my car either but im in the same boat need to start searching the fourm about droppin the car. I have no experience with this but im curious if coils ride better or worse than springs/ struts. Is there any advantage if u go coilovers or not. For me I rather do the whole thing than just get springs... since its bound to need to be replaced in the future. But interested to see if anyone can answer this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
And I like the idea of camber plates even though idk what I’m doing with them lol (-1.5ish with a moderate drop could be cool because racecar. Also totally ignorant to the nuances of it all so there’s also that:rolleyes:).

Since you're not tracking and probably don't want the NVH of adjustable plates, i'd take a look at the 034 "dynamic camber" mounts, which are fixed and give an additional -1.4 degrees of camber. I'm getting mine put on in a couple days with coilovers :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think I ever heard someone say their ride comfort with shorter springs is good, especially with our tires.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Some pictures of Eibach Prokit USA for your decision process.
Good drop and I would not go lower. But I am old.
As the Fed mentions any drop shortens the wheel travel and part of a drop is stiffer springs. So lowering a car comes with commitments. You have to learn to avoid pot holes and man hole covers as you would stock but more after drop. If you want smoother ride then also do 17" wheels.

I like Eibach.

But with new springs, aways and tires, your MK7 will hold the road like it never has. Pay to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
As the Fed mentions any drop shortens the wheel travel and part of a drop is stiffer springs. So lowering a car comes with commitments. You have to learn to avoid pot holes and man hole covers as you would stock but more after drop. If you want smoother ride then also do 17" wheels.

I like Eibach.

But with new springs, aways and tires, your MK7 will hold the road like it never has. Pay to play.

Does the Eibach Prokit USA come with spacers? Your fitment is excellent imo.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

I like Eibach.

Ya I live in Pa, stock ride height wheels ect.... pot holes are everywhere so pretty much always looking out for them. These roads are shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Does the Eibach Prokit USA come with spacers? Your fitment is excellent imo.

No spacers.
Some think it has negative rake, but from every angle I look at it is either level or slight positive. When I look at the lower door line it always looks positive.
Even when measured to ground it is positive.