GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feeling sick from new car smell (2018 GTI SE)

baygti

I recently bought a new 2018 GTI SE (leather), with that new car smell. First, it caused pretty bad headaches for both my wife and me, so we kept the windows open at night, and even put bowls of charcoal and baking soda in the front and rear seats (which are known to help with removing smells), and started driving with some windows open. It has improved a bit but I've been generally feeling lousy for a few hours after driving the car, which gradually goes away. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it due to the leather seats perhaps or a different chemical put in the car? I worry that my dealer rushed in getting the car together (it was fresh off the train so I worry it has additional chemicals/VOCs and maybe they forgot to execute some removal/cleaning process/).

GTI210

Ready to race!
Want to trade for my 2015 SE?

Jk I would just take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. I cant imagine that that's normal at all.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
I recently bought a new 2018 GTI SE (leather), with that new car smell. First, it caused pretty bad headaches for both my wife and me, so we kept the windows open at night, and even put bowls of charcoal and baking soda in the front and rear seats (which are known to help with removing smells), and started driving with some windows open. It has improved a bit but I've been generally feeling lousy for a few hours after driving the car, which gradually goes away. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it due to the leather seats perhaps or a different chemical put in the car? I worry that my dealer rushed in getting the car together (it was fresh off the train so I worry it has additional chemicals/VOCs and maybe they forgot to execute some removal/cleaning process/).

let it bake in the sun with the sunroof and a window or two cracked open. The oils/chemicals will slowly evaporate. This smell will last if you leave it in a covered garage.

i have a 2018 GTI SE...im kind of sad the new car smell isn't as strong lol But no, i did not get any headaches or anything.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Are you sure the smell is the off-gassing of the interior plastics, and not a faint burning oil smell coming from the vents? A few (including mine) Golfs have had issues even when new, of the PCV system not working properly, allowing crankcase fumes to enter into the fresh air vents. Do you smell it as soon as you get in, or is it only after the engine is fully warmed up?

baygti

There is the interior "new car" smell, but after the car is warmed up, there's a distinct chemical smell presumably coming from the engine that I haven't recognized before. Do you know if that sounds like the PCV system and if so, is it possible to fix this?

Are you sure the smell is the off-gassing of the interior plastics, and not a faint burning oil smell coming from the vents? A few (including mine) Golfs have had issues even when new, of the PCV system not working properly, allowing crankcase fumes to enter into the fresh air vents. Do you smell it as soon as you get in, or is it only after the engine is fully warmed up?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would sprinkle baking soda or dry carpet cleaner (bake soad with foo foo smells) throughout the car....let sit then vacuum it thoroughly.

the windows down is a good suggestion, and check to make sure the coolant level is OK. There have been leaks in some of these, but first guess is it's normal.

+1 on the sensitive nose question.

Mud

whatever you do don't use the windshield washer....it'll kill you (really)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
relax...not like the Germans have any history

although I think it smells I doubt it is real harmfull

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
There is the interior "new car" smell, but after the car is warmed up, there's a distinct chemical smell presumably coming from the engine that I haven't recognized before. Do you know if that sounds like the PCV system and if so, is it possible to fix this?

4k miles and 5 months later, i still smell drivetrain smells on mine. I actually made a thread about this.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
most new cars will have a burning gas/oil smell as the new burns off. It will be more pronounced when driven hard.....you can isolate some by popping hood after a ride.

you haven't answered nose question

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

The smell I am referring to is the smell of hot oil vapors (not gasoline vapors). If you've ever changed your own oil, you'll know the smell. You'll also smell it if you sniff around the edges of the hood or in front of the grille after the car has been sitting for ~5 minutes after a completely warm engine (by complete, I mean the oil has reached >200F, which takes driving for at least 20 minutes). The vapors are coming from somewhere in the engine, and dissipating through the engine bay. Some of those work their way into the fresh air vents. Once you've been driving, you don't smell it. Only after starting the car with a completely hot engine already. After 500 feet of driving, the smell is gone, presumably because the vapors are flushed out of the engine bay when you're moving.

I get this smell even after 9 months and 7k miles... brought the car in twice, both times they claimed they couldn't smell anything.