GOLFMKV

First oil change - took 6.5 quarts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Oil filter draining? Aren't listed capacities just what the oil pan holds?
often you will see two numbers for capacity...with or without filter. forgot to mention I do the 5 qts full jug M1 and an eyeball/markings measured 1 qt from the other jug.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
What case does your Costco sell? Mine never has anything for euro cars/502 spec, surprising since there’s tons of them in the Bay Area.

Edit: I never bothered to check their website, looks like that actually stock M1 0w-40 in some places, just not here, surprisingly. Never mind in any case though because they’re way more expensive than Wally World.

In my area my local costco has the M1 0w-40 for 25 bucks a case on sale, whereas my walmart has it for 23 bucks for 5 quarts but don't carry single quarts of it, so to get another quart at my local shop is another 8 dollars.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I actually do my oil changes when the engine has been sitting overnight or at least a few hours after it was last turned on. I've always done this on my last 3 cars and have noticed MORE measurable oil come out this way on every application. I think this explains why my car drained 6-6.5quarts and required about 6.5 to go back in.

You actually get less oil out when you drain it cold. Even if it has been sitting.

You only drained out 6 QTS.

Not sure how this thread made it past my first post.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
You actually get less oil out when you drain it cold. Even if it has been sitting.

You only drained out 6 QTS.

Not sure how this thread made it past my first post.

You are wrong.

Have you actually tried this or just read online that you should always change your oil hot because oil flows better when hot?

My last 3 cars has always drained 1/4-1/5 quart more from a cold drain vs hot.

The reason why i made this thread was because during my cold drain, so much oil that i had to refill with 6.5 quarts to bring it back up to the full line.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i put in 6 quarts yesterday. The oil level was exactly half of cross hatch. I like it a bit higher. Maybe it will be higher if i check it when its nice and hot.. My goal is at the top of crosshatch when the oil is the most expansive it can be.

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Did my first oil change at 3600 miles(didnt burn a drop btw). I was pleasantly surprised that over 6 quarts of oil drained and it took 6.5 quarts to fill up to the top. The user manual says it takes 5.75 quarts i believe.

I put 5.50 quarts in first, fired up the car for about a minute and re-measured only to find it just above the low mark. Added another quart to bring it up to the full mark.

Are you fellow mk7 folks experiencing this as well?

FYI, i lifted just the front up. Im guessing this drains it more thoroughly.

My car was over filled when I got it.(Probably some oil jockey thought it was low and added) I got out almost 7 litres from mine at around 1000 miles. Added exactly 5.7 Litres(6 quarts) of Liquimoly 5w-40 after extracting and it put me right in the middle of the hatched area when I checked it once warmed up. Overfilling can damage your cats.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
When I did my own oil change I freaked out that I overfilled it by .5 Qt and bought an extractor (actually a small one meant for riding lawnmowers) to get that out. I'd rather my oil be under the top line in the hashed area than over though, feels safer.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Oil filter draining? Aren't listed capacities just what the oil pan holds?
You have so much experience yet don’t know this?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Been eyeballing a 5.7 liters fill-up since my first oil change. I just wind up dumping the remaining oil into the engine about 2,000 miles later or so.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
As with the WD40 thread, you guys make a simple task too complicated..

Ever wonder if the bottle comes 5qt exactly from the store? Probably not, plus you got oil stuck in the bottle after the pour unless you keep the thing up side down for like 5min.

Just pour about 5.5 qts and then use your dip stick to pour the rest. Even start the car and let it cool check again in about 5-10 min. Check when completely cold too.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just drain it at the oil pan, change the filter and add 6 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.