GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of selling my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1111

Ford Expedition EL (131" wheelbase).
That probably is the 3rd generation that dates back to 2007 with only minimal changes or new features since then. All added safety features are really just to allow you to drive the thing. With sub 20mpg highway ratings, the thing sucks up gas and is ponderous beast with a 70-0 stopping distance of right around 200 feet. For comparison, the GTI stops at right around 154ft.

So, while YOUR passengers will be in an old, huge crate without modern crumple zones (passing all of the impact energy to the occupant), you'll be far more likely to rear end the poor slob in front of you since that 50 foot difference in stopping distance is about 3 and a half GTI's.

But then you'll be far more likely to roll the beast than the GTI.

Yep, you need to sell the GTI. Of course you can buy 3 GTI's for the cost of one piece of vintage tank and where your 60 mile daily commute will suck up a couple of gallons more, you'll at least get some additional exercise because you can't squeeze into a parking space with the tank.

It makes a great commuting car and a great choice for having your wife drive a kid or two around.

The more I think about it, the more I know you need to sell the GTI.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
As others have stated if you're worrying about it to the point where you've considered it thus far then for your peace of mind it's best to get something else (whether it will substantially lessen the risk on your kids or not). My wife has an SUV and I have a GTI. On weekdays I'm almost always commuting our 2 kids around.

We (regardless of what car we have) have always put their safety first and gotten the best reviewed (in terms of safety) car seats available at the time of each purchase. So I have peace of mind for myself. But it's different for everyone. OP should get what makes him feel his family is safe, get something fun though! Macan if you can afford a used one, an MDX with SHAWD looks and sounds boring but actually drives very nice for it's price category. If you could swing it I would go with the new Volvo V60 tho, love the looks of that wagon + Volvo safety.

As far as everyone else giving you marriage advice, forget it. Every marriage is different. Every relationship has a different set of give and take. There are some things that may be deal breakers for these other guy's significant others that isn't a deal breaker for your wife, we ultimately know nothing about your relationship other than your wife's current concerns. If she's willing to listen to safety experts about safety being more about design than size of vehicle then great maybe you get to keep the GTI but if she's not then she's not, no reason for all of us to get so heated about it for the OP. I have an e36 M3 that my wife prefers I don't take the kids around in. And it's not just b/c its small, it's bc it's 25+yrs older designed safety/testing (those A pillars are so narrow lol).

Either way, best of luck.
Hoping for safe motoring for you and your family!

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want to make sure you're completely safe no matter what happens then get the Volvo XC90 the only car in the world which has 0 fatalities.

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
If you want to make sure you're completely safe no matter what happens then get the Volvo XC90 the only car in the world which has 0 fatalities.

I think that stat is just for XC90 in UK right? but yeah the XC90 is a can't miss in terms of safety.

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
As others have stated if you're worrying about it to the point where you've considered it thus far then for your peace of mind it's best to get something else (whether it will substantially lessen the risk on your kids or not). My wife has an SUV and I have a GTI. On weekdays I'm almost always commuting our 2 kids around.

We (regardless of what car we have) have always put their safety first and gotten the best reviewed (in terms of safety) car seats available at the time of each purchase. So I have peace of mind for myself. But it's different for everyone. OP should get what makes him feel his family is safe, get something fun though! Macan if you can afford a used one, an MDX with SHAWD looks and sounds boring but actually drives very nice for it's price category. If you could swing it I would go with the new Volvo V60 tho, love the looks of that wagon + Volvo safety.

As far as everyone else giving you marriage advice, forget it. Every marriage is different. Every relationship has a different set of give and take. There are some things that may be deal breakers for these other guy's significant others that isn't a deal breaker for your wife, we ultimately know nothing about your relationship other than your wife's current concerns. If she's willing to listen to safety experts about safety being more about design than size of vehicle then great maybe you get to keep the GTI but if she's not then she's not, no reason for all of us to get so heated about it for the OP. I have an e36 M3 that my wife prefers I don't take the kids around in. And it's not just b/c its small, it's bc it's 25+yrs older designed safety/testing (those A pillars are so narrow lol).

Either way, best of luck.
Hoping for safe motoring for you and your family!

Thank you.

Seriously, if the posters handing out marriage advice are indicative of the GTI community, I'm selling just so I am not associated with this people.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Thank you.

Seriously, if the posters handing out marriage advice are indicative of the GTI community, I'm selling just so I am not associated with this people.

You mean you would actually take or pay attention to marriage advice given to you from strangers... on the internet? My wife isn't good at video games, but she loves my car. 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Last edited:

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
Thank you.

you're welcome! but yeah you'll find this in every car community, sadly. (B/c Internet)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Not just the GTI forums. Men everywhere will react the same way when you tell them that your wife is making you sell a car that you love. A guy I know at work got married and changed his last name. I poured a few out for him when I got home after hearing that story.

Of course none of us are in your shoes and we don't know the whole story, but it sounds like you are itching for reasons to sell it. You should have called this thread "Reinforce my desire to sell my car". There have been a lot of good posts about the safety of the GTI and you are just ignoring them or blatantly saying "I don't think that's true". Seems like you've already made your decision. We will eagerly await the "what car should I buy to replace the GTI" thread.

+1 for the Volvo wagon. Love the looks of those. Also the Buick Regal Tourx looks really sharp.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Can you recommend an internet community without such people, I would love to be a part of it.

Of course none of us are in your shoes and we don't know the whole story, but it sounds like you are itching for reasons to sell it. You should have called this thread "Reinforce my desire to sell my car". There have been a lot of good posts about the safety of the GTI and you are just ignoring them or blatantly saying "I don't think that's true". Seems like you've already made your decision. We will eagerly await the "what car should I buy to replace the GTI" thread.

This pretty much sums up OP's mindset. He had made up his mind before creating this thread.

cb1111

Even here there is no intrusion into the passenger cell. I wonder how an Expedition would have fared.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Reiterating my point from a few pages ago, Ford would absolutely be off my list due to their spotty crash/safety record over the last few decades.

Just today major F150 recall around safety was announced. :D

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23394/ford-recalls-2-million-ford-f150s-due-to-risk-of-fire

We complain about leaking sunroofs, this is the 3rd black eye on Ford in the past 3 years due to major safety issues.

Here is the horrible crash test of the Ford F-150, driver goes to the hospital with major injuries. Chevy and Dodge you walk away.

https://youtu.be/FzxiTZcIyUE

Compare between supercab and crew cab, same year.

https://youtu.be/h9IIGjOyN5s

Here is the horrendous F150 crash test around 2000. :eek:

https://youtu.be/_i5EmJBaGeQ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.