GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many of you are worried about your Mk7 reliability?

adam1991

Banned
I'm sure VW is still wrestling with the public on VW's past reliability. Imagine, though, buying a Honda CR-V--arguably one of the most iconic vehicles of our time, from a company with a reputation for quality engineering--and dealing with this:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...psa-potential-issue-watch-your-oil-level.html

For the record, my Mk7 GTI didn't use any oil in the first 10K miles of its life, nor was the oil diluted with fuel. Am I lucky? Or has VW managed to achieve levels of engineering and real-world reliability that previously were solely available from Honda? Has Honda switched places with the old VW?

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
I purchased a 2002 Honda Civic. One of the worst cars I've owned. I didn't have mechanical issues with it, just lots of car behavior that quickly drove me crazy. I traded it in with just a few thousand miles on it for a 2002 VW Golf TDI. Had that car 11 years and 84,000 miles. The only thing that ever went wrong was one glow plug replaced under warranty early on.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve owned 16 Volkswagen in total, multiple from every generation mk1-7 (with the exception of mk5).

Of all those cars in eleven years and several hundred thousand miles driven I only needed a tow once, and that was due to being run off the road in a 1985 mk2 Jetta diesel.

I have zero concerns of Volkswagen reliability

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I just hit 3 years and 40k a couple of weeks ago and I have had zero issues.
Had a MK6 before the 7 and I don't recall having any issues with that one either.
So I guess not very worried.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
zero concerns, but it seems like theres never enough people telling me how unreliable my car is.

adam1991

Banned
zero concerns, but it seems like theres never enough people telling me how unreliable my car is.

I went into mine expecting at least some level of unreliability above and beyond, say, what I would expect out of Toyota.

But that Honda story...if you like stories like that, look up Honda VCM. Same type of threads, same type of horror story. Destroys engines. Honda knows but doesn't care. (They even bought back an Accord from a buddy of mine several years ago, when the feature first came out and it destroyed his engine.)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Now at 30k miles above 320whp and close to 5k around 400whp.

Cars is driven hard all the time and has not had a single issue.

Just did my DSG and VAQ diff services, was suprised at how good everything looked. Very minor amount of metallic particles from the DSG, less than I would have expected.

My mother's V6 Accord had been in for warranty work twice by this point and it's bone stock and driven by an old lady. GFs Acura ILX (also stock) started making clutch noise about this point.

I'll take a VW over the crap Honda is producing these days.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
For the record, my Mk7 GTI didn't use any oil in the first 10K miles of its life, nor was the oil diluted with fuel. Am I lucky? Or has VW managed to achieve levels of engineering and real-world reliability that previously were solely available from Honda? Has Honda switched places with the old VW?

A 177 page thread within 3 months? Thats terrible. Not sure how many people are driving their Hondas without being aware of this issue.

I read one of Honda Canada's response to a customer and it was a joke. If they do not resolve this issue, it is going to haunt them big time in the future.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

That's so well said; I hear it all the time too. Our '17 Golf is our second VW and we love it as much we did our Jetta TDI.

adam1991

Banned
A 177 page thread within 3 months? Thats terrible. Not sure how many people are driving their Hondas without being aware of this issue.

I read one of Honda Canada's response to a customer and it was a joke. If they do not resolve this issue, it is going to haunt them big time in the future.

This was just the latest. Go on back to 1999 and see similar threads everywhere on the transmissions, even going through 2005.

And starting in 06-07, find the same threads about VCM.

Honda can't build a car anymore to save its life.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
My MKVI GTI was pretty solid, only had some engine manifold stuff replaced under warranty (recall). My MKVII R so far has been fine, only a new battery under warranty (recall, as well, and there had been no problems with the battery even).

While there are definitely some real issues with some cars--that Honda thing seems icky, as did the Focus RS engine fiasco--I suspect a lot of reliability issues stem from many drivers simply not doing maintenance or even not understanding that, no, this is not a toaster, you can't just plug it in and go.

Especially with German cars. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of the reliability complaints about BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis are from folks who somehow thought that, if the car costs $60k, there shouldn't be any need to actually, you know, do maintenance and stuff or take care of it like you would with those peasant mobiles!