GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change after 3 months?

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Up to this point, I've only purchased used cars so this was never an issue for me. Is it really necessary to change your oil after only 3 months of ownership? Got my new 2017 Golf 3 months ago. Thanks guys!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Up to this point, I've only purchased used cars so this was never an issue for me. Is it really necessary to change your oil after only 3 months of ownership? Got my new 2017 Golf 3 months ago. Thanks guys!

5k or once a year is ideal. Factory interval is 10k or once a year.

Early oil changes are from times when break in oil was used in new cars. That ended right around the same time most manufacturers switched to using synthetic oil. Probably ended even sooner.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Its due after a year from its build date. Your vehicle might have sat in the dealer lot for sometime before you bought it.

Last edited:

tknj99

Ready to race!
My oil change reminder just popped up and says i have 25 days.. bought the car last May and have 4400mi so its pretty good at counting down the days for me :)

zero10

Ready to race!
There is no need to change the oil at 3 months and it's just a waste of perfectly good oil. Leave the factory fill in for the prescribed interval (10,000mi/1 year).

If you are modified or do a ton of short trips, or have some other reason that you believe your car is going to wear out the oil more quickly then sure, change it more often, but these engines have had some break-in at the factory and are good to go for the full change interval when you get the car.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Its due after a year from its build date. Your vehicle might have sat in the dealer lot for sometime before you bought it.

Makes sense. Thanks! I wonder if they would reset the clock for me since the reminder is annoying everytime I start the car.

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
Really interesting thread. Same thing is happening with me. We bought the car at the end of February and have been putting tons of miles on it, almost 4000. But its less than 2 months old and it says oil change is due in 45 days. I checked the date of manufacture and it was May 2017.

Is it safe for me to reset the service reminder or could that void the warranty? At the rate I'm putting miles on it, won't be too long before I'm due an oil change due to 10,000 miles, but certainly much less than 1 year of ownership.

Even then, from what I've read, oil changes sound super easy on this car and I was planning to do it myself. I assume keeping receipts is enough to prove an oil change occurred for warranty purposes.

finula127

Passed Driver's Ed
Makes sense. Thanks! I wonder if they would reset the clock for me since the reminder is annoying everytime I start the car.
if you look at oil change on youtube, they often show you how to reset the warning. It is something to do with pressing trip meter reset as you turn on the electrics... have a search. takes a few seconds only.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
I changed mine at the 1 year/5k mile mark. I'll get it changed again at either 10k miles or the 2 year mark, whichever occurs first.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Change the oil at every gas fill up.

You can never be safe enough.