GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What am I missing...advice on CPO 2015 purchase

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Hello all. New to the forum but not the GTI world as I've previously owned a MK2 and MK3. After the MK3 I had to take a break...it was kind of a nightmare. Quality seems to be good on the MK7 so I'm jumping back in.

I'm looking at a 2015 CPO with 43K at a dealer. Carfax checks out, and it checks all my boxes. I've read a little about turbo failures in the 2015 but I'm not sure how to check build date on this car as I'm out of state. Their price would need some massaging but I think it looks great.

My question is, what am I missing? Are there any red flags I'm not seeing or do you think this could be a solid car? Thanks for your time.

http://www.vordermanvw.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2015-Volkswagen-Golf_GTI-S_w%2FPerformance_Pkg-Fort_Wayne-IN/3160920083

cb1111

A couple of points to ponder:

How many people buy a performance package and then drive it like granny?
How did the wheels get so scratched up?
Why would somebody dump a two year old car if it was OK? He probably got $13-14k on trade?

All of these may have reasonable explanations - or not.

Me? I'd never buy a used (CPO or not) GTI or R unless I knew the owner. Too many boy racers out there.

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Good points...

This was a lease vehicle so I imagine they didn't want to buy it out. A lease vehicle is not ideal and I imagine the wheel condition is a byproduct of driving in New Jersey where it was registered.

Personally, I would be the guy to buy a PP and drive normally/spirited. No racing for me, but I do want to get out on the mtn roads where I live and go for a fun drive. Still, I see your point.

Patiently waiting for something enthusiast owned to pop up in the classifieds...

MadMen

Ready to race!
I would absolutely pass on a 40k car from the northeast. There's gonna be some rust under that thing.

Flippy

Ready to race!
I don't think you're missing anything here. Should absolutely be able to negotiate on the price a bit. As far as I've read, the turbo failure is the big issue with the '15s. I think they also have a slightly worse infotainment system than the '16-'17s though as well.

Also, maybe I've just had good luck but I purchased my '10 in 2012 as a CPO and it has been essentially rock solid. Had one issue right after I purchased but it was completely coverered by warranty. Outside of that, this has been the most relaible car I've ever owned, after years of owning hondas.

MadMen

Ready to race!
On a modern car?

This isn't 1950.

Compared to a southern car? Absolutely! I've bought a fair share of modern cars, and the ones that have spent a few years in the northeast always have surface rust on nuts and bolts and such.

I'm not saying it will be rot, but if you have a choice, look for a southern car. Salt is nasty stuff, no matter what decade it is.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
On a modern car?

This isn't 1950.

If I were in the south, or the west coast, or anywhere where they don't salt the roads, I would prefer to buy a used car that hadn't seen northeast winters. Absolutely. I've lived on both coasts and owned cars on both coasts, and a few salty winters can definitely decrease the longevity of suspension, exhaust and brake components.

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016
I think it's pretty reasonable. I bought my '15 (2door) back in Feb., without the PP and 36k on it. CPO for 17,500. You can get them down but looks like an OK deal. I'm not sure how common the PP is but I would have loved too have it.

That a great color...cut deal and buy it!

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Updates! The dealer was incredibly helpful with sending more detailed pictures of the paint, bumpers, etc, and even had the techs lift the car for underbody photos, which was super clean. On top of all that they even confirmed the turbo revision (G BTW). I felt pretty good about it after all that.

However, late this afternoon events transpired that I can not fully understand yet and I ended up with a Pure White 2016 SE PP with LP, DCC, VWR springs, trailer hitch, and roof rack for $16.5K. It's in incredible shape and is/was owned by a responsible dude. I fly out to pick it up next Thursday. So stoked!

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016
Updates! The dealer was incredibly helpful with sending more detailed pictures of the paint, bumpers, etc, and even had the techs lift the car for underbody photos, which was super clean. On top of all that they even confirmed the turbo revision (G BTW). I felt pretty good about it after all that.

However, late this afternoon events transpired that I can not fully understand yet and I ended up with a Pure White 2016 SE PP with LP, DCC, VWR springs, trailer hitch, and roof rack for $16.5K. It's in incredible shape and is/was owned by a responsible dude. I fly out to pick it up next Thursday. So stoked!

Hmmm... having a trailer hitch on a GTI would solely exclude this guy from being a "responsible" dude. WTF do you want to pull with a sports car? That would be a big red flag right there. Mileage?

adam1991

Banned
Hmmm... having a trailer hitch on a GTI would solely exclude this guy from being a "responsible" dude. WTF do you want to pull with a sports car? That would be a big red flag right there. Mileage?

Not at all. It's how he carries bicycles, instead of on the roof.