GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What data would you like to see in my Android Auto performance monitor?

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is it my understanding that the app only works with AA before 3.0? If so, how do I downgrade?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Is it my understanding that the app only works with AA before 3.0? If so, how do I downgrade?

There are 2ways: download the older Android Auto apk from apkmirror, or.....

Keep V3.0, but then you need to sideload the app through Android Debug Bridge, by using this command (change the /sdcard/Download/ path to where you have the apk):
Code:
adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/Download/Performance_Monitor.apk

See this youtube vid for inspiration on sideloading apps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSTfrpo19EE

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Had a very succesful testdrive this morning.
Found some minor bugs:
- accelerator pedal/brake pressure text views not working yet
- G-force textviews are slightly too big when there's a negative G force

Should be an easy fix :)

Renck

Ready to race!
Had a very succesful testdrive this morning.
Found some minor bugs:
- accelerator pedal/brake pressure text views not working yet
- G-force textviews are slightly too big when there's a negative G force

Should be an easy fix :)

Did you experience any issue/crashes with AA while performing your test?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Did you experience any issue/crashes with AA while performing your test?

Only when using accelerator pedal/brake pedal position on a text view. When I was using other data, I could drive for more than an hour without any issues. No crashes, etc. But it's important the settings are not changed during an active driving session.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Currently making a list of data elements that cause issues and making debug logs, so I can fix them. It's nice to be able to test the app on my own car now.

Temperatures cause sh*t. I'm currently rebuilding the way the code handles the temperature unit, F or C. The current way is not reliable.

There's hope for people that don't have any data showing up: this also happens when the app breaks on temperatures. The workaround is:

Go to the Android settings on your phone. Go to apps settings, find Performance Monitor, and click "erase data", so the app is back to "factory settings". After this, go into the Performance Monitor settings app, grant rights and select data which is not a temperature for the clocks. Don't use the 4 views yet, let's determine if there's data first. Let me know your results!

Followed these instruction of my U.S. GTI and still not receiving any data. Used 2.1 auto vex since 2.2 "Stopped working" everytime I launched the Performance monitor.

BTD37

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Can you also clean the storage for the VAG Extensions app?

What exactly do you mean by that? I tested it this morning and started with a clean slate. I uninstalled VAG extension 2.2 and installed 2.1 so I am assuming the storage was already clean since it was a fresh install. Unless previous data is still stored? I also deleted and reinstalled the latest version of the performance monitor. I did not select any of the 4 text views. For the gauges I selected speed, RPM, and steering wheel angle. I also set all of these in the app before I connected my phone to my car and started AA. All of which was done on AA 2.9x

Last edited:

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I'm building an app for use with Android Auto, that is capable of displaying car sensor data:
How do you get access to sensor data? Does/did Android Auto provide an API to do that?

FYI: I've written an iOS app that displays information obtained via OBD-II. I'd be interested to find any pointers to unique information that can be retrieved via OBDII on the mk7.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
What exactly do you mean by that? I tested it this morning and started with a clean slate. I uninstalled VAG extension 2.2 and installed 2.1 so I am assuming the storage was already clean since it was a fresh install. Unless previous data is still stored? I also deleted and reinstalled the latest version of the performance monitor. I did not select any of the 4 text views. For the gauges I selected speed, RPM, and steering wheel angle. I also set all of these in the app before I connected my phone to my car and started AA. All of which was done on AA 2.9x

Hmm, if you uninstalled, the application data of the vag extensions was cleared, so that's not it. Steering wheel angle had a potential to crash the app, you can try selecting RPM for all three clocks and see what happens. If nothing happens, clear storage of both the vag extension and the performance monitor, set the permissions and clock settings again, reconnect the phone. No data: that sucks... Firmware is probably not having the right whitelist.

How do you get access to sensor data? Does/did Android Auto provide an API to do that?

FYI: I've written an iOS app that displays information obtained via OBD-II. I'd be interested to find any pointers to unique information that can be retrieved via OBDII on the mk7.
Cool :) Android Auto can talk to the headunit by the Exlap protocol. There's no official SDK for that, but someone took the Seat Drive app and reverse engineered an SDK.

Also, update, graphs in the making, with selectable data. Note, the alignment and graph background image are temporary, but it works :)

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
Just tried loaded the app and it's no work. Love what you are doing. Help?
App appears to install. Android Auto doesn't see mobile device app or on car interface.

• should have full permissions
• Android Auto is in dev mode
• Android is still set to install unapproved apps.
• Android auto is version 3.0570554
• GTI software version
- device part# 3#0035844A
- hardware 710
- software 0751

Last edited:

Renck

Ready to race!
Only when using accelerator pedal/brake pedal position on a text view. When I was using other data, I could drive for more than an hour without any issues. No crashes, etc. But it's important the settings are not changed during an active driving session.

Yes, since we exchanged some post several days ago, I'm not changing anything during an active driving session.

Let me give it another try today or tomorrow only using RPM on all clocks. Hopefully, I'll not experience any crashes.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Just tried loaded the app and it's no work. Love what you are doing. Help?
App appears to install. Android Auto doesn't see mobile device app or on car interface.

• should have full permissions
• Android Auto is in dev mode
• Android is still set to install unapproved apps.
• Android auto is version 3.0570554
• GTI software version
- device part# 3#0035844A
- hardware 710
- software 0751
Thanks! The problem is with Android auto v3... :(
There's a workaround, but it involves some manual action from a laptop or pc to your phone..

The following commands will sideload an app to your phone by using Android debug bridge. (adb). The com.android.vending is to tell the phone: this is installed by Google play store, which makes it visible in AA

Code:
adb push app.apk /sdcard/app.apk
adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/app.apk
Change paths and apk name according to your situation.

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! The problem is with Android auto v3... :(
There's a workaround, but it involves some manual action from a laptop or pc to your phone..

The following commands will sideload an app to your phone by using Android debug bridge. (adb). The com.android.vending is to tell the phone: this is installed by Google play store, which makes it visible in AA

Code:
adb push app.apk /sdcard/app.apk
adb shell pm install -i "com.android.vending" -r /sdcard/app.apk
Change paths and apk name according to your situation.
I was hoping it wasn't the Android v3 issue I read about. Bummer. Hoping it'll work again in the future.