GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7R Dilemma - Need Advice

MKUltra1

I guess slow is relative. Maybe trade in for a 991 Turbo S? Haha

That's close to what I was thinking.. However a 997 Turbo with the bullet-proof Mezger engine.. No IMS issues, and reasonably quick. That's my problem.. I wanted to get something for DD, then the next thing I know, I'm back to cars $75K+ again.. lol I'll admit, I have a problem.. I have just enough money to keep a few in my stable, but not enough money to grow my collection exponentially! :(

MKUltra1

You might as well just go up to Stage 2. All you need at this point is a downpipe and an intercooler.

True. I'm looking at all options. Hence, the reason why I've come to the experts here. Before anything else, if I keep the car, I will first take care of the chatter issue. One of the reasons I chose the R is the relative ease of creating power. If I could go back in time and still in the market for an R, I would have chosen the DSG option. :(

Joel

Ready to race!
Might contact Sachs and see if the disc from the SMF is compatible with the DMF.
If so it would be cheaper to only buy a new flywheel, than a new disc and pressure plate as well.

MKUltra1

Might contact Sachs and see if the disc from the SMF is compatible with the DMF.
If so it would be cheaper to only buy a new flywheel, than a new disc and pressure plate as well.

This is the full Sachs SMF setup: flywheel, pressure plate, disk, & throwout bearing. That means the disk is sprung. I would need at least an unsprung disk even if I use the stock dmf.

Joel

Ready to race!
I know, I have the Sachs SRE which is DMF.
If the discs are compatible, then all you would need is the DMF.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
Can anyone help explain to me what these abbreviations stand for? I am able to piece together some of them, but I don't know enough about clutches to fully understand.

smf: Single mass flywheel?
dmf: ? dual mass flywheel, but no idea how this is different than these others.
rsr: ???

Just some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I'd be concerned about "upgrading" to the RSR and having it slip. From my experience on my mk6 golf R they are not the strongest. My friend also has a mk7R with APR stage 2 and his RSR just started slipping.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
the clutch on the VW are not good. I've upgraded to the Southband Stage III and i also get a bit of chatter but it is not bad... I dont regret doing it, and at least my wife has not noticed it yet... hahaha
I am considering upgrading to stage 3 or is38 turbo just because the car can now handle up to 580Lbs of torque...

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Easy answer for OP, and won't cost a penny: Whenever wife along for ride, turn up music loud enough to drown out clutch. Just make sure music is her fav, and what you can tolerate. If her fav music is Beyonce, Brittney, Taylor Swift etc, then hopefully you are shit out of luck, and will need a different solution. But you can't sell your car. That is secretly frowned on here :( ;)

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I may sound rough, but you obviously have the means to afford nice toys. You know the right answer to fix your problem, not sure why cost is even a concern.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I do not think the OP knows the answer. I do not think anyone knows the answer, just opinions.. why spend the money and not be happy again :(
He is just doing his due diligence. Hey OP too bad you are not near me or you could check out the car I have with the clutch kit I have. I think That would be your best bet. Post in local forum.

Worse case sale the car and get one with DSG...