GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best clutch replacement for stage 2?

USAF Mk7 GTI

I have a 2017 Gti MT and I’m slipping after a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune. Trying to eventually get a full exhaust and intake for a stage 2 but definitely need a clutch. Any inputs? Trying to avoid $1400+ for a SB clutch as that’s too pricey for my military salary. Thanks in advance!

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Octavia RS
Imao no need for a 1400 $ upgrade.

Here is the kit I am driving from good old Germany.

https://www.performance-kupplung.de/vw/tiguan/2.0-tsi-132kw/2095/reinforced-clutch-kit-up-to-15-more-transmittable-torque?c=2704

It keeps up to 550 Nm or around 400 lb ft.

The big advantage of the common Sachs performance kit is the price of course and the force to handle the clutch is nearly the same as the OEM one.

Including delivery you are around 560-570 $ depending of the actual exchange rate.

Give it a try!

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2017 Gti MT and I’m slipping after a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune. Trying to eventually get a full exhaust and intake for a stage 2 but definitely need a clutch. Any inputs? Trying to avoid $1400+ for a SB clutch as that’s too pricey for my military salary. Thanks in advance!

If you don’t plan on going higher than stage 2 the ttrs kits that are out there seem like they’d work for you. Stock like feel and not too pricy

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Yep, TTRS OEM feeling and capable of managing stage 2 no problem. Besides as far as I know is the cheapest solution out there.

Joel

Ready to race!
Sachs SRE has treated me well.
Nice feel, no slip...

Crackness1

Ready to race!

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Imao no need for a 1400 $ upgrade.

Here is the kit I am driving from good old Germany.

https://www.performance-kupplung.de/vw/tiguan/2.0-tsi-132kw/2095/reinforced-clutch-kit-up-to-15-more-transmittable-torque?c=2704

It keeps up to 550 Nm or around 400 lb ft.

The big advantage of the common Sachs performance kit is the price of course and the force to handle the clutch is nearly the same as the OEM one.

Including delivery you are around 560-570 $ depending of the actual exchange rate.

Give it a try!

Interesting.... How do you like it? Any modifications needed like drilling the TTRS disc etc?

roystr

Ready to race!
I had 3500 miles on the SRE clutch offered by FCPEuro.com. It was manageable but not fun in traffic. Had the RSR on my K04 MK6 and would recommend that. Both kits use a TTRS pressure plate but they are of different design. Have a look at the pics for the kit.

GTI210

Ready to race!
I am eventually going to go with a Stage 2 DKM clutch. Rated for 440 ft-lbs to the wheels.

Another thing, IMO people take the ratings too literally. There is a thing engineers use called a safety factor. Definition from wiki:

Factors of safety (FoS), is also known as (and used interchangeably with) safety factor (SF), is a term describing the load carrying capability of a system beyond the expected or actual loads. Essentially, the factor of safety is how much stronger the system is than it needs to be for an intended load.

In other words when a product, building, etc is designed with a safety factor in place (everything is unless you are in China), it is made much stronger than what it needs to handle (or in the cluth's case than what it's official rating is). This minimizes failures and helps avoid liability or in some cases death. That 440 ft-lbs rating is a really really conservative estimate of what that clutch can actually handle. I'm sure it can handle 500 ft-lbs pretty comfortably. The only way I see this clutch not handling what I throw at it is if I drive like a complete idiot (which I don't plan to) because I'm not ever seeing 500 ft-lbs on this car.

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Octavia RS
Interesting.... How do you like it? Any modifications needed like drilling the TTRS disc etc?

It is like the OEM clutch without slipping - simple as that.

The force to operate the clutch is nearly the same as the OEM was.

No need for drillings or other modifikations.

The clutch disc is taken from a OEM clutch kit and is modified with a new friction pad. The rest of the kit is like the OEM one.

If your car is not new, you will need the kit with a new throw-out bearing. So to handle 400 lb/ft it will cost you around 530 $.