GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone transition to MK7 from a C5 Corvette or sportier car?

xxbreezewoodxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Hold on the to Lotus, the Elise's build quality is far superior to the Exige and the engine is better (even if the Camry engine in the Exige has more HP, the sound and power delivery is all wrong). They will only go up in value. Lotus people love the Elise far more than the Exige.

I love the car but its kind of a headache, build quality sucks if you ask me lol. Handmade equal a lot of dumb issues ( expensive usually ). The value Is pretty good tho , I do like that. The attention is out of this world crazy!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I love the car but its kind of a headache, build quality sucks if you ask me lol. Handmade equal a lot of dumb issues ( expensive usually ). The value Is pretty good tho , I do like that. The attention is out of this world crazy!

Hahaha totally understand. I wasn't saying that the Elise build quality was great, but after they stopped producing them and moved on to the Exige, the build quality was even worse.

Edit:.... I totally meant the Evora and not the Exige. My bad. After they stopped production of the Elise and the Exige, and started the Evora, things went downhill. Sorry for the mis-model, I'm just getting into the sports car / exotic markets.

xxbreezewoodxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Hahaha totally understand. I wasn't saying that the Elise build quality was great, but after they stopped producing them and moved on to the Exige, the build quality was even worse.

I can't even imagine that lol, Its a great car for what it is but it is completely unless for anything other than the track. Even driving it solely on the weekend , you'd be begging to get out of it once your not driving fast no more lol

ahhhh the evora yea at least that comes with carpet lol

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I can't even imagine that lol, Its a great car for what it is but it is completely unless for anything other than the track. Even driving it solely on the weekend , you'd be begging to get out of it once your not driving fast no more lol

I edited my post, mis-modeled the Exige as the Evora. The Evora is the worse one with the Camry engine. I apologize for my lack of Lotus knowledge. That being said.... yeah it really is hard to imagine, but the Evora has a shit ton of plastic trim that likes to rattle. As some one who is 6'4" I don't even know if I fit in a Lotus, probably not with a racing helmet on.

xxbreezewoodxx

Passed Driver's Ed
I edited my post, mis-modeled the Exige as the Evora. The Evora is the worse one with the Camry engine. I apologize for my lack of Lotus knowledge. That being said.... yeah it really is hard to imagine, but the Evora has a shit ton of plastic trim that likes to rattle. As some one who is 6'4" I don't even know if I fit in a Lotus, probably not with a racing helmet on.

How’s that for build quality?!?! Lmao. I’m 6’2 and can fit with a helmet, take the top off and go !!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
How’s that for build quality?!?! Lmao. I’m 6’2 and can fit with a helmet, take the top off and go !!! Lol

Looks like a true track car, or how some people spend $10k + modifying their cars ;)

chillin014

Ready to race!
I've had a 2016 GTI for 2 years now with a JB1 and I just bought a 2002 c5 z06 with 405hp. I know you had a base c5 so the handling should be different but my car is stock so much slower than yours in a straight line. I'm probably only around 350whp.

-Practicality

I get 33mpg if I cruise in the GTI. I can do about 27 at the same speeds in the c5. GTI has a ton of space in the back . Seats fold down for even more. Hidden storage under the seat. The c5 has surprisingly good trunk space but it's no comparison.

-Engine

The GTI has the best 4cyl I've ever had and I've owned a wrx, srt-4, and a cobalt ss turbo. The ss comes close but this thing really is amazing for the size. Turbo lag is small but you do need to be at about 2000rpm before it's awake. You can't safely go full throttle below around 2500rpm in higher gears because it tends to knock. That seems to be a common issue. Redline is high and it gets there smoothly. With only a JB1 my car feels great in 1-3rd gears. Tends to run out of steam after that though. The stock turbo isnt much for top end. But the LS6 is better in every way but smoothness. And I don't want my v8 to smooth anyway. It feels much faster. I knew it would be faster but seat of the pants feel is more than I expected. One of the reasons is power delivery. The V8 has no waiting. As soon as you punch it you're gone. It also has a more usable and exciting powerband. I can pass people when the engine is at 800rpm. It makes usable torque at that point. Despite having so much torque it is still a top end motor. The power builds all the way to redline. I love my GTI but this motor is just more exciting.

-Sound

The GTI stock note sucks. Put an exhaust on it and it just sucks louder based on youtube videos I've heard. It's why I'll probably only do a downpipe because I don't really want to hear it that much. That APR pops and bangs tune does seem to add some needed drama though. And the Golf R sounds a bit better. Maybe it's the is38 turbo helping it out. The c5 sound is amazing. I'm running the stock exhaust and it still sounds better than any 4 banger I've had with full exhaust.

-Handling

The vette is far flatter and more planted. You can tell it's more capable but the steering feel makes you more nervous to exploit it. I feel like I can toss a gti into a corner closer to it's limits. That being said. Understeer sucks and oversteer is scary and fun. I've already gotten the vette's tail out just a bit. The steering is super heavy in the vette. You will feel like the wheel isn't connected when you first get in the GTI. But that makes around town driving very easy. I hate parking lots in the vette.

-Tunability

You can tune anything but when it comes to performance per dollar nothing really beats an LS engine. You basically need a new built motor from APR to go past 450whp with some reliability.

I've never posted here before but I'll probably post a more detailed comparison with pictures later. They are both great cars.

Late reply- been on vacation. Thanks for the comparison.

Do you plan on keeping both cars? Personally, I find that when having multiple vehicles the more practical vehicle becomes the go-to 9 times out of 10 rendering the 2nd car an unnecessary expense. I like performance cars but realistically I don’t go to any type of track or event, not even car meets. So I don’t really need the car for those purposes. And I hate to admit it but the horsepower and performance comparisons become less important when you consider it will primarily be a daily commuter for me. What I mean is- it’s okay that the GTI cannot easily achieve high horsepower #’s. That’s really never been my goal. I’ve been more interested in the overall fun-factor relative to the C5. The vette can be thrilling and I’ve been a little afraid to lose that. However the more comfortable I become with the idea of getting into a GTI (or similar) the more dissatisfied I become with the comfort and utility of the C5. Im actually excited about the thought of driving with my dog in the back seat, taking my car to run errands on the weekends instead of my wife’s, driving home for lunch (or anywhere) without worrying that I’m burning up a bunch of gas. Yes I see people are getting 25+ mpg in the c5 on the highway but I am just making quick trips around town and my work commute and averaging 14-15mpg. It feels like waste to me.

Also I have thought more about what everyone keeps saying about how too much power on the street can be more dangerous than fun. I’m really starting to agree. Every day feels like an obnoxious game of restraint. The power is great but full throttle in any gear puts me in a dangerous/illegal situation that usually leaves me feeling more scared than thrilled.

Anyway looking forward to more comparisons you may have. I found a dyno chart the other day (from previous owner) just for reference. I’ve been kind of comparing it to what I may end up with if I got into a GTI.

IMG_1789.JPG

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Dude everything you're saying screams get the GTI. Just do it man. You'll love it.

I'm on totally stock power and got 6 points on my license the day I got my car. I have stayed on stock power for fear that tuning would put me in losing my license territory. This is my 3rd and certainly not last GTI. They are awesome cars. Girls think they're cute, dudes think they're cool, and you think they're fun. And efficient. And useful. I put a cabinet in my car yesterday for my kitchen.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Dude everything you're saying screams get the GTI. Just do it man. You'll love it.

I'm on totally stock power and got 6 points on my license the day I got my car. I have stayed on stock power for fear that tuning would put me in losing my license territory. This is my 3rd and certainly not last GTI. They are awesome cars. Girls think they're cute, dudes think they're cool, and you think they're fun. And efficient. And useful. I put a cabinet in my car yesterday for my kitchen.

A neighbor was trying to fit a small desk, small bookshelf and chair in her Altima today.... it wouldn’t fit. Folded down the seats in my car and bam, dropped it off at Goodwill for her.

What if a future President gets this as their first desk from Goodwill? I may have just altered history. :D

chillin014

Ready to race!

I’m actively looking! I’m just waiting for the right one. Plus I’m still trying to sell my vette.

BillE911

New member/owner here...

I have a 16 Boxster S with mild mods (~400hp) and a Beck Spyder (~200hp); neither quite as fast off the line as a modded C5, but close.

The GTI isn’t as fast, but almost equally fun to drive if very different.

Perhaps a key diff is neither on my other cars are V8 powered.

But... the GTI is 80% of the others for 20% the price and 95% as fun (excepting top down driving). The GTI is more comfortable overall then the Boxster (much more so than the Spyder of course) and is s blast to drive all the time without being at get arrested speeds.

Frankly, if you’re buying used, it’s s pretty small investment that you can get back out of easy enough.

The option, for what seems to be about $1000 to add 100hp makes it seem a good value..

chillin014

Ready to race!
New member/owner here...

I have a 16 Boxster S with mild mods (~400hp) and a Beck Spyder (~200hp); neither quite as fast off the line as a modded C5, but close.

The GTI isn’t as fast, but almost equally fun to drive if very different.

Perhaps a key diff is neither on my other cars are V8 powered.

But... the GTI is 80% of the others for 20% the price and 95% as fun (excepting top down driving). The GTI is more comfortable overall then the Boxster (much more so than the Spyder of course) and is s blast to drive all the time without being at get arrested speeds.

Frankly, if you’re buying used, it’s s pretty small investment that you can get back out of easy enough.

The option, for what seems to be about $1000 to add 100hp makes it seem a good value..

You make the exact same argument I have made on the Corvette forums. As you can imagine the c5 guys act like the c5 is God’s gift to the car enthusiast on a budget. I always argued that you could have ~80% of the performance in a slightly more modern car for similar money and not deal with all the drawbacks of crappy interior quality, ride discomfort, low technology, etc etc. Of course their rebuttal is to simply go aftermarket but honestly you can’t improve everything.

I do worry about the resale aspect. If I decide the car isn’t something I want long term it would be nice to not lose a bunch of money. I keep reading the GTI’s don’t hold their value as well as other cars. I’m trying to take advantage of that but also don’t want to get burned by it later.

BillE911

I don’t think resale value is actually bad when first buying used. I bought mine (S LP), a 15 with 20k miles for 15. I should be able to sell it 2-3 years and still get 9-10 I think.

But, 50% in first 2-3 years is a bit worse than market leaders.