GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 1.2 TSI - Is there an under engine cover?

beauchampy

Bought a used low mileage 2014 Mk7 1.2TSI 85 for the Mrs as a bit of a run around.

Just had a look under the bonnet and one thing that struck me is that there is no protection under the engine, and this belt in particular seems a bit vulnerable. Surely something could easily fly up there? Am I missing some kind of under engine cover?

Cheers

B

Attachments

• IMG_1629_3.jpg
    IMG_1629_3.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 394

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Bought a used low mileage 2014 Mk7 1.2TSI 85 for the Mrs as a bit of a run around.

Just had a look under the bonnet and one thing that struck me is that there is no protection under the engine, and this belt in particular seems a bit vulnerable. Surely something could easily fly up there? Am I missing some kind of under engine cover?

Cheers

B

You are missing the factory "half" lower cover/tray.....you can get a full length thin plastic aero tray or a full length reinforced skid tray..all from VW....

beauchampy

You are missing the factory "half" lower cover/tray.....you can get a full length thin plastic aero tray or a full length reinforced skid tray..all from VW....

thanks so much for the detailed info, I don't suppose you know how I could obtain part numbers of each of those?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
thanks so much for the detailed info, I don't suppose you know how I could obtain part numbers of each of those?

in my how go guide?....:cool:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

Thin plastic "Aero" tray NOT the Skid tray:-

There are several types depending on the number of NACA ducts you want...
5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front
3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE)
5Q0 825 236M gives you NO vents so do not get!!

Item 10, WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,(M8x20mm), (x3) shorter than the skid tray rear bolts as the "Aero" tray is thinner plastic
All are full size trays & require the rear three bolts, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they also use the existing small black screws...

SKID TRAY VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C, Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902B, Underrun bar with NO ducts (Skid tray), DO NOT GET as NO air ducts
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)***

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks so much! I've ordered the plastic Aero tray with the two front vents, also the 3 bolts and a few of those smaller black screws. Hope that does the trick!

Should be 100% straight factory fit....also less dirt into the engine bay we are coming up to winter….& better fuel economy...as better aero..& that item is standard fit on the "eco" 1lt Bluemotion version which has all the aero...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Should be 100% straight factory fit....also less dirt into the engine bay we are coming up to winter….& better fuel economy...as better aero..& that item is standard fit on the "eco" 1lt Bluemotion version which has all the aero...

On vortex someone with a GSW (Estate) did a 1000+ mile gas consumption average before and after the underbody panel retrofit and saw a 2-3mpg increase afterward. So, much more compelling than the various anecdotal data provided by others who have done this retrofit and convincing enough to make me invest the $175 to source all the parts to do this retrofit.

One issue I read about on a hyper-miling forum (not VW-specific) is that the exhaust tunnel tray might actually introduce air flow issues through the engine bay, as the air that flows into the engine bay through the grille has no easy escape path. Whether this causes issues with turbulence and/or with engine temps, I don't know, and I also don't know whether any of this is borne out from wind tunnel testing, but it's an issue that was brought up at least theoretically.

I have the full aero tray, long version exhaust tunnel panel (with integrated heat shield), and rear panel sitting in my house waiting to get installed before winter! I didn't bother with the rear axle pieces.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
On vortex someone with a GSW (Estate) did a 1000+ mile gas consumption average before and after the underbody panel retrofit and saw a 2-3mpg increase afterward. So, much more compelling than the various anecdotal data provided by others who have done this retrofit and convincing enough to make me invest the $175 to source all the parts to do this retrofit.

One issue I read about on a hyper-miling forum (not VW-specific) is that the exhaust tunnel tray might actually introduce air flow issues through the engine bay, as the air that flows into the engine bay through the grille has no easy escape path. Whether this causes issues with turbulence and/or with engine temps, I don't know, and I also don't know whether any of this is borne out from wind tunnel testing, but it's an issue that was brought up at least theoretically.

I have the full aero tray, long version exhaust tunnel panel (with integrated heat shield), and rear panel sitting in my house waiting to get installed before winter! I didn't bother with the rear axle pieces.

Just a small section from my first post here on the official aero drag cd figure which back up the covers....

MK7 Golf Bluemotion (1.0lt petrol) = 0.27cd??
MK7 Golf Bluemotion (1.2lt petrol) = 0.287cd.
MK7 e-Golf (total electric) = 0.29cd.
MK7 Golf GTE (petrol/hybrid) = 0.299cd.
MK7 Golf GTD (2.0lt diesel) = 0.316cd.
MK7 Golf GTI (2.0lt petrol) = 0.318cd.

more info in the first post on this thread....:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes but how much of those differences in drag are attributable to tire size? The eco models will certainly have narrower tires contributing to the lower cd.

if you read the first post with all the info I explain what items are different etc...

Basic aero design is to reduce frontal x-sectional area.....& to totally smooth the under body...so ANY coverings on the underside to cover big holes etc help..

As for air entering the engine bay via the grill...what air??………….there is big radiator & AC condenser behind the grill...totally solid...….

& in my case the air in via the slam panel hole is totally blocked off & now only feeds the air box as per the GTE (1.4lt petrol/electric hybrid)...so the only air into the engine bay is via the naca duct in the skid tray by the gearbox...& that exits out after the front exhaust tunnel tray....after helping to cool it down...