GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Just left my car with a vw tech. Asked to look for any way to activate carplay from his end so we'll see

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Component protection has to be removed from the head unit first. You'll see the on screen message if it's active.

Somewhere in this thread I believe it was mentioned that the Fender amp has component protection that needs to be removed as well before you'll get sound.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Component protection has to be removed from the head unit first. You'll see the on screen message if it's active.

Somewhere in this thread I believe it was mentioned that the Fender amp has component protection that needs to be removed as well before you'll get sound.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Component protection is removed on 5f. Message is gone and mib2 seems to be functioning. Last I talked to him, he couldn't even read fender amp in ODIS. Can't connect in VAGCOM either

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I don't know if my guy had tried coding byte 11 as 02 and then plugging in ODIS. I wonder if it would've made it show up in ODIS but not Vagcom as CP would still be on for 47. He had tried 01 and 03 for byte 11. Either that or the amp I have is bad

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know if my guy had tried coding byte 11 as 02 and then plugging in ODIS. I wonder if it would've made it show up in ODIS but not Vagcom as CP would still be on for 47. He had tried 01 and 03 for byte 11. Either that or the amp I have is bad

I hope it's the coding. Where did you get the amp from?

There would have been a way to test the amp (and I posted something about that), but it's too late now. If you plugged it in with the old system (stock MIB1 headunit), then started the infotainment while ignition was still off, then you would have sound in all speakers. CP would not kick in until you pressed the ignition button.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I hope it's the coding. Where did you get the amp from?

There would have been a way to test the amp (and I posted something about that), but it's too late now. If you plugged it in with the old system (stock MIB1 headunit), then started the infotainment while ignition was still off, then you would have sound in all speakers. CP would not kick in until you pressed the ignition button.

I must have misread what you said about that. Would mib2 amp work with mib1 HU given I could access odis and remove CP? That would be a good way to test it then. Either way, I'm going to get with my guy later this week and mess with the coding again and see if I can figure something out. I got the amp from a seller on ebay. Probably taking off salvage cars but they said it was working when they pulled it

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Just finished reading this thread and buying my parts...can someone please sanity check me? I have a 2015 MIB1 5.8 screen with Fender system, no nav. I do use XM.

These are the parts I have ordered so far:

MIB2 Glovebox headunit - 3Q0035844A
MIB2 6.5" screen - 3G0919605H
MIB2 Amp - 5g0035456 (assuming it is MIB2, coming out of a 2017 GTI)
USB Aux Plug/harness - 5G0035222E

I plan to pay for a remote session to have CP removed and Carplay added. My biggest question remaining is all the coding required completed during the remote session as well? Do I need to do anything on my own other than install all the hardware prior to the remote session?

Understand I still need the 5054+OKI adapter in order to connect my computer. Does anyone have one for sale or can recommend where to buy? There are a ton on ebay but not sure exactly what I am looking for, and would prefer to not have to wait on anything else from China...

Thanks to everyone involved in this thread! I'm beyond excited to get this upgrade!

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Just finished reading this thread and buying my parts...can someone please sanity check me? I have a 2015 MIB1 5.8 screen with Fender system, no nav. I do use XM.

These are the parts I have ordered so far:

MIB2 Glovebox headunit - 3Q0035844A
MIB2 6.5" screen - 3G0919605H
MIB2 Amp - 5g0035456 (assuming it is MIB2, coming out of a 2017 GTI)
USB Aux Plug/harness - 5G0035222E

I plan to pay for a remote session to have CP removed and Carplay added. My biggest question remaining is all the coding required completed during the remote session as well? Do I need to do anything on my own other than install all the hardware prior to the remote session?

Understand I still need the 5054+OKI adapter in order to connect my computer. Does anyone have one for sale or can recommend where to buy? There are a ton on ebay but not sure exactly what I am looking for, and would prefer to not have to wait on anything else from China...

Thanks to everyone involved in this thread! I'm beyond excited to get this upgrade!

I can confirm that this seller ships from NY (I got the item in 3 days):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAS-5054A-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was planning to sell it after I used it, but I'm not sure now. I may need it again.

The only "coding" I needed to do was change the "sub-model" value from hatchback to wagen (needed option 2 instead of 1 checked under "Information Control Unit/Long Coding/Sub-Model" with obd11).

Last edited:

ameel

Hello, I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

My MIB1 only have FEC 00050000, which is for Bluetooth. The MIB1 has a USB and AUX port. Music media can be accessed when a device is plugged in through the USB. There is a USB option in the source for media on the car display.

When I installed MIB2, component protection was on. USB was working. It showed in the source for media (However, no sound playable with component protection on). Android Auto and mirror were also working, but again no sound because of component protection

I got the component protection removed. Bluetooth FEC was reinstated and bluetooth works again.
However, USB stopped working:
1) there is no USB option in media source anymore
2) phone still detects it's connected to 'something' and gives option to share files/media, but nothing happens on the car side.
3) when I switch back to MIB1 and remove component protection, USB works fine, but when I reinstall MIB2 and remove component protection, USB is still gone from source. Note that after I adapted the MIB2 for my car, the USB is now completely gone (even if switch back to the MIB1 and back to MIB2 with component protection on MIB2).

I understand FEC 00030000 is supposedly for AMI (USB enable). But my original MIB1 does not have a FEC for it, and therefore I don't have any FEC for this to be unlocked in MIB2.

I'm worried that even if I spend money on App/car connect, I will only to find out it won't work because USB is not detected/not working.

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal, and whether App/Car connect will in fact also add a licence for FEC 0003000 in addition to the usual android auto/mirrorlink/apple car play?

Cheers

edit:
I have a 3rd headunit, MIB2 as spare, but it's 'broken' (emergency update blue screen after a few minutes). When it's on and with component protection, I can still access USB and Android Auto.
When I swap to my MIB1, I can still use USB. But when I swap to the MIB2, USB still does not show up in source (whether or not component protection is on or removed).
The point is that it's definitely NOT the cable/port for the USB.

I have extracted the relevant diagnostic messages below:
R293 - USB Distributor, no communication
005F - Information Control Unit 1
1637 U11B800 Interface for external media No communication (00001001 active/static)

Information Electronics Control Module -J794-
The following event is stored in the event memory of the control module:
U11B800 - Interface for external media, no communication

Last edited:

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

My MIB1 only have FEC 00050000, which is for Bluetooth. The MIB1 has a USB and AUX port. Music media can be accessed when a device is plugged in through the USB. There is a USB option in the source for media on the car display.

When I installed MIB2, component protection was on. USB was working. It showed in the source for media (However, no sound playable with component protection on). Android Auto and mirror were also working, but again no sound because of component protection

I got the component protection removed. Bluetooth FEC was reinstated and bluetooth works again.
However, USB stopped working:
1) there is no USB option in media source anymore
2) phone still detects it's connected to 'something' and gives option to share files/media, but nothing happens on the car side.
3) when I switch back to MIB1 and remove component protection, USB works fine, but when I reinstall MIB2 and remove component protection, USB is still gone from source. Note that after I adapted the MIB2 for my car, the USB is now completely gone (even if switch back to the MIB1 and back to MIB2 with component protection on MIB2).

I understand FEC 00030000 is supposedly for AMI (USB enable). But my original MIB1 does not have a FEC for it, and therefore I don't have any FEC for this to be unlocked in MIB2.

I'm worried that even if I spend money on App/car connect, I will only to find out it won't work because USB is not detected/not working.

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal, and whether App/Car connect will in fact also add a licence for FEC 0003000 in addition to the usual android auto/mirrorlink/apple car play?

Cheers

edit:
I have a 3rd headunit, MIB2 as spare, but it's 'broken' (emergency update blue screen after a few minutes). When it's on and with component protection, I can still access USB and Android Auto.
When I swap to my MIB1, I can still use USB. But when I swap to the MIB2, USB still does not show up in source (whether or not component protection is on or removed).
The point is that it's definitely NOT the cable/port for the USB.

I have extracted the relevant diagnostic messages below:

Not 100% sure, but it may be that you need to replace the USB/Aux harness as well. You need USB Aux Plug/harness - 5G0035222E. I seem to remember that in the original post by paul_elstak he replaced his MIB1 USB harness with the MIB2 version. Or, rather, just the connector in the cubby, the harness may not need to be replaced. Check this out: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY

ameel

Not 100% sure, but it may be that you need to replace the USB/Aux harness as well. You need USB Aux Plug/harness - 5G0035222E. I seem to remember that in the original post by paul_elstak he replaced his MIB1 USB harness with the MIB2 version. Or, rather, just the connector in the cubby, the harness may not need to be replaced. Check this out: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY

I've read a lot of forum posts, but it seems that USB harness replacement is only needed for cars that had MDI rather than USB. Also as stated in my post, 2 MIB2 would have USB working properly (showing as source of media and working with android auto) BEFORE removal of component protection and adaptation. So it's really not the usb port...