GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car and Driver: The 2019 Volkswagen Golf GTI Adds More Power and a Rabbit Edition

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
IMMT said:
Highly, HIGHLY subjective.

I got the SE with the leather option because I can’t stand the cloth seats and I wanted a sunroof as well.

A fair point, but I think you'll find that the majority of GTI owners prefer the plaid cloth seats. Even non-enthusiasts think they're cool. I do miss having a sunroof on the Sport, though the general consensus here seems to be that they're problematic. Ah well.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It's only fuel economy...taller gearing does not equal quicker acceleration, quite the opposite. I think anything over 6 gears is a waste, there are 9 or 10 speed gearboxes out there and they are ridiculous.

I would never pay over 30k for a GTI...that's used R territory.

Incorrect. Higher numerical gears can create quicker acceleration, but for a shorter distance due to winding the engine out of the power band faster. Numerically lower gears result in slower acceleration, but a higher top speed.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Incorrect. Higher numerical gears can create quicker acceleration, but for a shorter distance due to winding the engine out of the power band faster. Numerically lower gears result in slower acceleration, but a higher top speed.

Lower numerical numbered gearing per revolution is generally referred to as "tall" and higher numerical gearing is generally referred to as "short".

Tall gearing gives higher Vmax @ engine redline vs short gearing, hence tall is used for fuel economy since engine turns slower for same road speed.

Manufacturers are adding more and more gears to take advantage of both aspects with the TCU algorithms doing all the math (and shifting) for whatever is called for at the time. Think our DSGs race to 6th gear now, wait til they add the other cog. I remember when 3 gears were plenty (3 on the tree) because torque is king :D.

Last edited: