GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a DIY fix for the rattling sunroof?

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Don't forget to clean the inside painted area that the back rubber seal pushes up against. I used white vinegar on a terry cloth to wipe down that area a few times - then treated the rubber with Gummi Pflege - not a peep. Every few months or so, do it again.

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
So on my 2017 Golf SEL, lubing the seals did nothing. Placing the fuzzy Velcro on the plastic tray solve my issue. Now with my MK7.5 GTI they replaced my Golf with, the fuzzy Velcro didn’t work. Still had the rattle. So I tried the Gummi Peflege and it actually worked this time. Rubbed every plastic/rubber I can reach with my fat hand. Just seems inconsistent in terms of build quality. Anyways, back to a quiet car minus the damn plastic cover by the mirror. Gotta get some rattle tape to stick on the inside.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
So on my 2017 Golf SEL, lubing the seals did nothing. Placing the fuzzy Velcro on the plastic tray solve my issue. Now with MK7.5 GTI they replaced my Golf with, the fuzzy Velcro didn’t work. Still had the rattle. Using Gummi Peflege actually worked this time. No clue why. Just seems inconsistent in terms of build quality. Anyways, back to a quiet car minus the damn plastic cover by the mirror. Gotta get some rattle tape to stick on the inside.

Plastic cover by which mirror? Rearview? I might have that as well. Ha. What's your plan for that exactly?

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
Plastic cover by which mirror? Rearview? I might have that as well. Ha. What's your plan for that exactly?

The plastic cover that extends from the roof to the rear view mirror. I saw a thread where people just put some rattle tape along the inside and it solved it. I can’t seem to find it. Just gotta figure out how to pop it off and get in there.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
The plastic cover that extends from the roof to the rear view mirror. I saw a thread where people just put some rattle tape along the inside and it solved it. I can’t seem to find it. Just gotta figure out how to pop it off and get in there.

The plastic part with the wrench button and all that? Right by the dome lights?

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
The plastic part with the wrench button and all that? Right by the dome lights?

It's this piece the arrows are pointing to. This isn't my pic. Some random screen shot I pulled offline. Shoutout to whoever it is.

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,171

alnation1

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't forget to clean the inside painted area that the back rubber seal pushes up against. I used white vinegar on a terry cloth to wipe down that area a few times - then treated the rubber with Gummi Pflege - not a peep. Every few months or so, do it again.

I have a rattle from my sun roof also (2018 GTI SE), brought it to dealer, they fixed it (said they lubed some spots) then it came back. Would really like to be able to just fix it myself! I noticed it goes away briefly if I park it in the hot sun (I park at a parking lot daily for my commute). I have bought some Gummy Pledge I'm just not sure where to put it!!

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
I have a rattle from my sun roof also (2018 GTI SE), brought it to dealer, they fixed it (said they lubed some spots) then it came back. Would really like to be able to just fix it myself! I noticed it goes away briefly if I park it in the hot sun (I park at a parking lot daily for my commute). I have bought some Gummy Pledge I'm just not sure where to put it!!

Same situation for me but I'm not even taking to the dealership because I've heard sometimes they make it worse. And the colder it is the more you're going to hear the squeaky, same thing in my car.

The part you need to rub with the Pledge is the little rubber part that touches the body, that runs across the whole back of the sunroof. At least that's how I'm understanding it.

What I did to find the squeak is close your roof and from outside the car, stand over the sunroof and push up and down on the rear of the sunroof and you can hear the squeak from inside the car. That's where my squeaks are coming from, not from the front as of right now. I'm going to try the Pledge route first and then go the felt route if that Pledge doesn't work.

Techno Duck, is there anyway you can get some more photos of exactly where you stuck the felt? I know it's a tight spot but any little bit would help. Especially if you're saying it's still working after this long.

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
I have bought some Gummy Pledge I'm just not sure where to put it!!

Same situation for me but I'm not even taking to the dealership because I've heard sometimes they make it worse. And the colder it is the more you're going to hear the squeaky, same thing in my car.

The part you need to rub with the Pledge is the little rubber part that touches the body, that runs across the whole back of the sunroof. At least that's how I'm understanding it.

I lubed up the whole rim of the sunroof although I think doing just the back may suffice. Clean the channel out, clean the rubber, then rub it on the rear seal, the sawtooth portion and the rubber where it rests. Hasn't made a noise since. It's been 40-60 degrees F. here the last week.

I'd rather do this every few months than have the dealer ripping it apart.

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
I did the sticky felt method Techno Duck detailed and I'm rattle-free. Gummi Pfledge stopped fixing the rattle for me.

Kip2MyLou, I don't think there could be photos any better than what he posted already. Just pop your sunroof open a few inches and look between the glass and the roof from the sides. You'll see the ridged plastic piece to which the felt is applied.

Kip2MyLou

Ready to race!
Okay sounds good. So you did the felt and the gummi method? Which parts did you rub down with gummi? Just the long rubber strip that sits between the body and is attached to the rear of the sunroof?

And Kain which felt did you use? Have a link?

Last edited:

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
Okay sounds good. So you did the felt and the gummi method? Which parts did you rub down with gummi? Just the long rubber strip that sits between the body and is attached to the rear of the sunroof?

And Kain which felt did you use? Have a link?

At first I gummi'd the sunroof seals. You have to open the sunroof all the way to get the front and most of the sides. This worked for a while, then I'd have to redo them in a few months after the rattle returned. No biggie since I used that as an excuse to gummi all of the door/hatch/roof seals on both of my cars.

The last few months Gummi Pfledge was not doing anything for the sunroof rattle. I used the sticky felt Techno Duck linked to a few posts back. Unless you have Andre the Giant hands, you should be able to reach to the ridged plastic area without needing tools. I first used a dust cloth and then alcohol wipes to clean the surface. I then cut the felt into credit-card size and placed one on each end of the ridged plastic. It's quieter than a convent now.