GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Derf

Ready to race!
I just completed the bulk of this project (minus the rear wishbone stone guards).

I've kept gas mileage logs for the first 30K miles on the car. I have a pretty standard drive /commute, and should know within a tank or 3 if my gas mileage is improving. As for road noise, I'll let everyone know what I think in a couple days.

To follow up, I would say that as for road noise, there is only a mild reduction. Actually, that is what I remember thinking in the days right after install, since at this point I no longer really have an A/B comparison environment, or accurate memory of how quiet it used to be... I guess it got a little quieter, but I wouldn't do these mods for that reason alone since the amount of sound deadening is only faint to mild. But that is just my opinion. It may be perceived to be quieter in the back seat, but from where I sit in the driver seat it is minimal. What I notice most prominently is tire growl noise, so it may be that wind/buffeting noise is reduced, but I am focused on the tire noise to not appreciate the sound reduction caused by less drag.

As for gas mileage, I was using the fuelly app to track mileage, fuel fill up costs, and fuel economy. Since doing the modification I have filled the tank 5 times, and wanted to report on my findings.

Jul 7th - 32.6 mpg (340 miles covered)
Jul 12th - 31.6 mpg (368 miles covered)
Jul 23rd - 33.4 mpg (383 miles covered)
July 30th - 33.0 mpg (383 miles covered)
August 7th - 32.8 mpg (394 miles covered)
----- Modification ----- August 10
August 12th - 34.4 mpg (334 miles covered)
August 19th - 35.5 mpg (383 miles covered)
August 26th - 36.1 mpg (435 miles covered)
September 3rd - 35.2 mpg (394 miles covered)
Sept 9th - 37.9 mpg (425 miles covered)

The last entry included a 240-mile road-trip that was outside of my normal work commute, but was all highway miles with minimal traffic. My personal all time best economy in this car was over 482 miles where I achieved 40.9 mpg (before the modification), and I hope to best this top score in the future.

Nevertheless, the average consumption across 1868 miles before the modification was 32.68 mpg. The average consumption across 1971 miles after the modification was 35.82 mpg. So, I am confident in saying that this mod DOES improve fuel economy, by almost 10% ! I haven't done the math to figure out how long it will take to pay for the materials or my time to install it... but it's nice to know I'm getting better fuel economy, and therefore should be able to drive further on a tank before needing to fill up again.

svj

To follow up, I would say that as for road noise, there is only a mild reduction. Actually, that is what I remember thinking in the days right after install, since at this point I no longer really have an A/B comparison environment, or accurate memory of how quiet it used to be... I guess it got a little quieter, but I wouldn't do these mods for that reason alone since the amount of sound deadening is only faint to mild. But that is just my opinion. It may be perceived to be quieter in the back seat, but from where I sit in the driver seat it is minimal. What I notice most prominently is tire growl noise, so it may be that wind/buffeting noise is reduced, but I am focused on the tire noise to not appreciate the sound reduction caused by less drag.

As for gas mileage, I was using the fuelly app to track mileage, fuel fill up costs, and fuel economy. Since doing the modification I have filled the tank 5 times, and wanted to report on my findings.

Jul 7th - 32.6 mpg (340 miles covered)

Jul 12th - 31.6 mpg (368 miles covered)

Jul 23rd - 33.4 mpg (383 miles covered)

July 30th - 33.0 mpg (383 miles covered)

August 7th - 32.8 mpg (394 miles covered)

----- Modification ----- August 10

August 12th - 34.4 mpg (334 miles covered)

August 19th - 35.5 mpg (383 miles covered)

August 26th - 36.1 mpg (435 miles covered)

September 3rd - 35.2 mpg (394 miles covered)

Sept 9th - 37.9 mpg (425 miles covered)

The last entry included a 240-mile road-trip that was outside of my normal work commute, but was all highway miles with minimal traffic. My personal all time best economy in this car was over 482 miles where I achieved 40.9 mpg (before the modification), and I hope to best this top score in the future.

Nevertheless, the average consumption across 1868 miles before the modification was 32.68 mpg. The average consumption across 1971 miles after the modification was 35.82 mpg. So, I am confident in saying that this mod DOES improve fuel economy, by almost 10% ! I haven't done the math to figure out how long it will take to pay for the materials or my time to install it... but it's nice to know I'm getting better fuel economy, and therefore should be able to drive further on a tank before needing to fill up again.

Really nice feedback right there. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just sliding back in here. I have a M/T so i dont even need the "aero" try right? I could ust go full Alltrack style cover

https://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-un...Golf-MK7-Audi-A3-8V-Seat-Leon-5F/142500207743

And still match the rest of the tunnelling

??…..

That's the skid tray without the DSG cooling duct....

I have the skid tray with the cooling duct & I have manual gearbox...reason?....I have retro fitted the GTE slam panel ducting..so no air gets into the engine bay....so the DSG duct in the skid tray allows some air back into the engine bay...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Thanks for posting up the info..

I know at the start of this thread I posted up the aero drag cd figures & worked out roughly what the % gain would be.....

So many thanks for proving that if VW had fitted the full aero parts they make to all cars then they would not have had to "cheat" on the emissions..

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
??…..

That's the skid tray without the DSG cooling duct....

I have the skid tray with the cooling duct & I have manual gearbox...reason?....I have retro fitted the GTE slam panel ducting..so no air gets into the engine bay....so the DSG duct in the skid tray allows some air back into the engine bay...

sorry that was unclear.

i was saying since im M/t i have no use for the DSG vent.

So if i wanted a thicker/cheaper soution then that cover is better than the "aero"tray that has the ducts

Or maybe I got that wrong and its to late in the day for me to be thinking

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
sorry that was unclear.

i was saying since im M/t i have no use for the DSG vent.

So if i wanted a thicker/cheaper soution then that cover is better than the "aero"tray that has the ducts

Or maybe I got that wrong and its to late in the day for me to be thinking

its late in the day....;)

think ones are the reinforced "skid trays"...….thin ones offer very little impact protection by comparison...

More ducts are better than none even if you have a manual....:cool:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
FYI, for anyone looking to complete the underbody flow, Verus now has a rear diffuser for the GTI which fits in very well with all of the OEM panels which golfdave has detailed in this thread.

My underbody is now complete after doing all of the pieces in this thread, the Verus diffuser, Stern rear subframe brace and ECS rear chassis braces.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I totally get with the aero trays, and have sourced them to add to my GSW shortly, but why does anyone believe the GSW/AT needs skid protection? Even an AT shouldn't be driven off-road... it's not an SUV despite the feeble attempts by VW to attract customers into thinking it has the ambitions of such. The way I see it, if a car has MacPherson strut suspension, it shouldn't be driven off-road.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You don't need to drive off road to need a skid tray...

There are plenty of objects dropped from trucks etc which cause problems.....and then you have road kill etc.....also roads which have huge camber..(once grounded a previous lowered car out on a particular back road which had huge camber)..& then couple of my mates live down farm tracks..so you drive in the ruts...& the middle is grass & higher...

& then there is winter driving on roads not cleared...& ice blocks in the middle of the road etc...

My car came with the factory sports suspension....which is low enough to give me panic attacks about ripping my sump off on some of the back roads near me...

All depends on your local roads & weather /snow etc as to if the skid tray is beneficial to you...

Derf

Ready to race!
Versus thin plastic? LOL

It’s an aero device, not skid protection.

Thin aluminum isn’t any more durable than thin plastic, but if the plastic gets damaged or rips out I’m only out $30 or so, vs $600. The most expensive piece of factory kit is $100 for the skid plate, and that feels bomb proof.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I installed the two exhaust tunnel panels this weekend-- they were a breeze to install. But the under-engine full aero tray I bought was the wrong one-- it doesn't have the vents for the DSG/auto trans.

If anyone wants it for $80 shipped, I have it for sale in the classifieds: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46062