GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5 DSG Reversing question

Catmando

Hi all,

Even though I've ordered already, I've got a DSG on demo for the weekend.

One thing I've noticed, when reversing if I engage autohold midway through for any reason, I've then got apply extra gas to disengage which means I then set off reversing quite quickly which is quite dangerous if theres not much room behind you.

Anyone else found this, or is my technique just rubbish!!?

Thanks

marvin1

Ready to race!
Hi all,

One thing I've noticed, when reversing if I engage autohold midway through for any reason, I've then got apply extra gas to disengage which means I then set off reversing quite quickly which is quite dangerous if theres not much room behind you.

Thanks

It's probably DSG is 'rubbish' when manoeuvring in tight spaces or when much greater finesse is required and where a clutch is invaluable.
You can always tell, for example in a car park if a car is automatic as they always move much more slowly and carefully due to the limits of Autos in such conditions. Possibly the ones with Torque converters are better as they don't have that sudden 'take off' reserved for mechatronic box controlled ones.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
if I engage autohold midway through for any reason,

There is no reason, just turn it in and leave it on, mine has not been turned off since I got the car.

marvin1

Ready to race!
There is no reason, just turn it in and leave it on, mine has not been turned off since I got the car.

Precisely. These cars, especially a manual one, like mine, would be almost undriveable without having it on permanently.
One would have to keep on flicking up that Electronic Parking brake lever every time one came to a stop on any incline/hill etc.
Autohold is one of the best driving features or rather driving aids on these cars, providing it doesn't go wrong or release for no reason!

See another post here re that problem - a nightmare.

Catmando

Hi guys just to clarify I am not turning auto hold on or off, what I mean is if I touch the brake during the manvuver then autohold comes on and I need to apply extra gas to disengage

bertj

Ready to race!
The Auto Hold should disengage as soon as you actually touch the accelerator even with the slightest power input. If it needs a heavy right foot to disengage then there's something wrong with the system.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
The Auto Hold should disengage as soon as you actually touch the accelerator even with the slightest power input. If it needs a heavy right foot to disengage then there's something wrong with the system.

Nah, that's not correct. It only disengages when the system detects enough throttle is being applied to avoid a rollback.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
As above that is not working properly. The system is so good you forget it is there and if you drive a car without it you need to remember that or you will roll into something/one.

I would let them know it is too sensitive as it should not be engaging until you are at a full stop.

bertj

Ready to race!
This might seem a stupid question but are you already in Drive or Reverse and not Neutral when you press the accelerator to move the car? TBH I can't understand how a DSG car that's in Drive or Reverse can actually roll back as if it's in Neutral.

nick.stevens74

Hi all,

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean.

Their is an option in the main settings to disengage auto hold automatically when “manoeuvring”.
So I now have this on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk7_leo

I have the same problem on my 7.5 Gti I thought it was just my technique was crappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
Not an automatic, but we disengage the autohold whenever we reverse out of our garage. The drive is very steep and if we don't disengage, the car will shoot backwards quite quickly. Far easier to control by disengaging the autohold and allowing it to roll back, controlled by the foot brake.