GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5: GTI vs. Golf R (???)

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't decide which one to go with for a daily+track car.

GTI: FWD, LSD, DQ250, lighter by about 300lb
R: AWD, Open-diff, DQ381, faster in a straight

Same brakes, similarly-bolstered seats

Which one is a better track performer?
Is a LSD more useful than being able to go 50/50 AWD with TC off?
Is the DCC on the R good? (I'm generally not a fan of adaptive dampers)
Will I miss the straight line power on the R? (Came from S3 sedan and currently on a 340i M Sport with M Power tune)

First world problems :confused::confused::confused:

bcgti

Ready to race!
Stock vs stock the Golf R is the winner when it comes to lap times. Daily-wise the fuel savings of the GTI is a plus and they will be about the same for everything else. The one exception being winter driving where the R will get the edge.

Take it from a GTI owner - if you can afford it, get the R.

domyalex

I used to drive a Mk6 GTI Autobahn and now have a Mk7 R. The GTI understeered way more, especially with all the rain we get around Vancouver area.
For DD, the R might consume a bit more, but not that much; the AWD during rain/snow season is a big plus for me.
DCC is awesome, especially the custom mode; I can take the wife out on a date in Comfort and AutoX the next day in Race, best of both worlds. And yes, the difference is quite pronounced.

All the best!

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Get the R all the way! The Gti is still a great car, but the R is just a step above with more power and other upgrades. Gti gets better gas mileage and is cheaper in price though.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You're in Toronto and want a DD.. The AWD is amazing in the snow.

Growing up in NE Ohio I always owned a 4x4 diesel truck, but stored it for winter. Proper snow tires on a fwd car are all you need IMO, they’re like being on rails and I literally never once got stuck or had any traction issues commuting to Cleveland in the heart of the snow (and rust) belt