GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP REVERSE CAMERA STUCK

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
I do plan on taking it in for servicing but wanted to know if this was common on this model. Got a 2016 gti se 4 door and the reverse camera is stuck in the open position. When I put it into reverse, it closes then reopens, but when I put it to 1st or any other gear and it just stays there. I can't even open the trunk since it is stuck in that position.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Nope.
When you reconnect it you may get a few warning lights, just drive the car for a few feet and they will go away.

cmpterjones

I realize this thread is a little old, but I've had this problem twice now on the Mk7 Golf Sportwagen I was loaned while my Mk7 GTI is in the shop. I believe this to be a software issue, seems that it loses the state when going from reverse to a forward gear somehow. I haven't quite figured out how the problem is caused, but here's the procedure I'm using to resolve it. Note that the Sportwagen I'm driving at the moment is DSG, but my GTI is 6MT and I haven't had the problem there, so YMMV:

1. Put the gearbox in reverse, confirm that the camera redeploys and the video shows up on the head unit.

2. Put the gearbox in neutral, and wait. The camera should retract along with the logo.

Everything should be working again. Still get it checked-out by the dealer, but this has worked for me both times I've had it happen in the past week I've been driving the loaner.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Does anyone else have this issue in cold weather? It doesn't happen all the time, but if it's below 15F I seem to have issues with the camera not retracting after I shift out of reverse.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Does anyone else have this issue in cold weather? It doesn't happen all the time, but if it's below 15F I seem to have issues with the camera not retracting after I shift out of reverse.

I haven't, and it's been unreasonably cold around here for at least a week. Yesterday, I had my car parked outside my office for 18 hours, in temps ranging from 1 to 11F, and the camera had no issues whatsoever when I backed out of my spot to go home. I would imagine that if the issue were cold-related, the camera would be stuck in the closed position due to moisture getting in there and freezing, rather than being able to open but then not close.

Watercar

I just had this on 2017 gti sport.
Tonight I couldn't open the rear hatch.
camera half open
Kinda sucked cause I needed to open the hatch.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Interesting problem. I've always wondered if they failed in the deployed condition. Now I know. New latch time if you're under warranty. If VW won't help out of warranty you can try junkyards or buy a new one, or disassemble yours and see if you can find the problem.