GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trading my MK7 GTi for a 2013 MK6 Golf TDI?

Norsk982

Ready to race!
i know this may be different!

I am not sure if I should do this. Does it make financial sense? I owe about $14k on the MK7 GTI, and the Golf TDI I found only have 15k miles and asking for $15,999. My GTI has 52k miles, it's a SE 4 Door with PP and 6MT. I am trying to figure it out if it does make financial sense. I pay about $380 per month for the GTI, and it will be paid off around October 2021. I believe that paying per month for the TDI should be lot cheaper and give me more room to buy a engagement ring. i commute 70 miles a day!

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion

I am not sure if I should do this. Does it make financial sense? I owe about $14k on the MK7 GTI, and the Golf TDI I found only have 15k miles and asking for $15,999. My GTI has 52k miles, it's a SE 4 Door with PP and 6MT. I am trying to figure it out if it does make financial sense. I pay about $380 per month for the GTI, and it will be paid off around October 2021. I believe that paying per month for the TDI should be lot cheaper and give me more room to buy a engagement ring. i commute 70 miles a day!

I honestly think its a bad idea. You can pick up a 2015 Jetta/Passat/Golf for around the same price. the Jetta being the cheapest. 15's also have the newest engine, and will have a 160,000 mile warranty because of the scandal. I'd do a little more research.

I myself own a 2015 Passat TDI SEL and its a great daily.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
I honestly think its a bad idea. You can pick up a 2015 Jetta/Passat/Golf for around the same price. the Jetta being the cheapest. 15's also have the newest engine, and will have a 160,000 mile warranty because of the scandal. I'd do a little more research.

I myself own a 2015 Passat TDI SEL and its a great daily.

Thats what I was thinking. VW is asking too much $$ for MK6 body style.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Thats what I was thinking. VW is asking too much $$ for MK6 body style.

Absolutely. Most MK6 TDI in the Midwest are selling for around 12k. There is also a few Jetta(15's) that's are going for 14-15K. Passat are around 18-19K and MK7 TDI golfs around 15-17K.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Absolutely. Most MK6 TDI in the Midwest are selling for around 12k. There is also a few Jetta(15's) that's are going for 14-15K. Passat are around 18-19K and MK7 TDI golfs around 15-17K.

Yup, they're charging premium charge. Crazy!!! Making up the loss for what they paid to the government.

cb1111

Yup, they're charging premium charge. Crazy!!! Making up the loss for what they paid to the government.
That's ridiculous. The dealer paid nothing to the government and the dealer is the one setting the price for a used car.

Pricing of used cars has nothing to do with VW.

Who thinks this crap up?

H

Huntermike

Cost per mile between a 2.0T and a TDI aren’t that much different. I had been in a competition with another Mazda6 owner on Fuelly. I was at 36.8 mpg, he was at 37.4...pretty close and our cost per mile was the same at $.065. The car is rated at 35mpg hwy btw.

He bought a TDI Passat and I bought a GTI and the cost per mile under the same driving conditions puts him at $0.070 and me at $0.074. I’m sure I have more fun in my GTI. My average is 37.0 mpg and he gets 44.7 but the higher cost of diesel negates any mileage benefit. Not even mentioning higher maintenance costs of diesel.

Not much difference. We both drive on interstates and rural highways with me in WI and him in MI.

Any time you trade in a vehicle you will get hosed by the dealer.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
This would not be a good financial move. Plus I think you'd regret doing so in the future as well. The money you think you would be saving monthly would not be worth it. Let's also look at it this way...You owe 14k for your 2016 PP GTI. If you downgraded to a 2013 TDI the dealer is asking for ~16k. When all is said and done financially speaking as of your post. Would you rather pay 14k for a 2016 PP GTI or 16k for a 2013 TDI imo a much lesser car. With dealership cost and taxes your monthly payment would probably be close to $300 a month anyways for a 5 year 60 month financing. Just save even if you think it will take you longer to get your engagement ring. Anyways good luck with your savings and if she's the one she can wait...lol

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
If they can give you that TDI for 13k OTD price, maybe go for it. Otherwise, don't bother. It may have low milage but it's also a 5 year old car (6 if manufactured in '12 which is very possible). By quickly looking via CarGurus, the national average for that year/milage is 13k-14k. Here's a link to one that has 8k miles for the same price that you were given. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2013-Volkswagen-Golf-Youngstown-c23511_L24337
Don't let the dealer make money off of you if you can avoid it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk