GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust pops with CAI

BDR1

I installed the VWR R600 CAI on my '16 R and went on to rev the engine a little to hear the sound. To my surprise the exhaust popped almost like the pops & bangs tune. See video link below.

As far as I know a CAI shouldn't have this effect so what could be causing it and is it harmful to the engine?

https://youtu.be/RipC_3r0KTQ

Mods other than the CAI:
APR stage 1
VWR turbo inlet
VWR turbo muffler delete

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You didn’t disconnect any wiring harnesses did you? I’d double check the connections...while you’d most likely get an EPC light there’s always a chance it won’t pop for a while. Popping like that means it’s running lean and it absolutely can hurt the engine

BDR1

Nope, didn't disconnect anything. I removed and reinstalled the intake yesterday just to make sure everything was mounted correctly and it made no difference. I'll check again today after work.

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the VWR R600 CAI on my '16 R and went on to rev the engine a little to hear the sound. To my surprise the exhaust popped almost like the pops & bangs tune. See video link below.

As far as I know a CAI shouldn't have this effect so what could be causing it and is it harmful to the engine?

https://youtu.be/RipC_3r0KTQ

Mods other than the CAI:
APR stage 1
VWR turbo inlet
VWR turbo muffler delete

Are you sure it didn't do that before the intake? Reving in Neutral and letting go of the accelerator does make it burble. just look up Golf R videos on Youtube. My clubsport does a burble noise doing this.

BDR1

Are you sure it didn't do that before the intake? Reving in Neutral and letting go of the accelerator does make it burble. just look up Golf R videos on Youtube. My clubsport does a burble noise doing this.

I'm pretty sure it didn't do it before. I have played around with a friend comparing exhaust notes and such and we never noticed any burble before. Can anyone else with an R confirm?

I have checked wirings, hoses, AFR (commanded and measured), fault codes, etc. Nothing seems to be wrong. The car runs just fine. I'm thinking I'll wait and see if I get a CEL or something.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure it didn't do it before. I have played around with a friend comparing exhaust notes and such and we never noticed any burble before. Can anyone else with an R confirm?

I have checked wirings, hoses, AFR (commanded and measured), fault codes, etc. Nothing seems to be wrong. The car runs just fine. I'm thinking I'll wait and see if I get a CEL or something.

Was it on cold start by chance? Pops and burbles are enhanced during cold start high idle, especially on a gti with SAI. Not sure if that’s the case with the R since it doesn’t have SAI

BDR1

Was it on cold start by chance? Pops and burbles are enhanced during cold start high idle, especially on a gti with SAI. Not sure if that’s the case with the R since it doesn’t have SAI

Does it on both cold and warm, maybe a bit more on cold. The video was recorded when the engine was warm.