GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 1.5TSI - what a noisy car this is.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Is it just me, am I too old, am I too sensitive, too fussy or what?

New facelift 1.5TSI GT. The tyre/wheel/road noise coming out of the rear end of this vehicle is just not acceptable for the price paid. The well in which the spare tyre sits acts like a sounding board and in my opinion just amplifies all rear end noise. Take the wheel out and just tap the floor with a knuckle and you will see what I mean. Its like banging on a bass drum.There is not really an ounce of sound insulation that can make a jot of a difference to noise levels. No wonder these cars are noisy!

Nearly one month of ownership and I have serious regrets. My GTI Mk7 was silent compared to this thing. This week I have driven a GTD, a 1.5 SV and as far as I can see they all have unacceptable noise levels. For god's sake doesn't anyone at VW consider cabin noise when they design a car? We all know its about minimising weight to maximise consumption and minimising costs. I actually have more sound deadening in my wifes Nissan Micra than in a £25k Golf.

My advice to anyone considering the purchase of a Golf or indeed any car and that is ask the dealer for a 24-hour test drive so you can drive at a variety of speeds over a variety of roads including Motorways. Don't just accept a ride around the block with a salesperson that is more interested in demonstrating the audio system or constantly talking.

On the basis of what I have experienced over the past few weeks with the MK7.5's my advice is give it a miss and look elsewhere. I can honestly tell you that a ride up the M4 motorway in this thing is unbelievable unless you are on the new super smooth tarmac surface.

As far as I am concerned this was a complete waste of money. This car should have come with ear plugs and paracetamols as standard. All I can do now is strip out the rear and spend £100 or so on some sound deadening in the hope that it will improve the cabin noise.

Drevo

Is it just me, am I too old, am I too sensitive, too fussy or what?

New facelift 1.5TSI GT. The tyre/wheel/road noise coming out of the rear end of this vehicle is just not acceptable for the price paid. The well in which the spare tyre sits acts like a sounding board and in my opinion just amplifies all rear end noise. Take the wheel out and just tap the floor with a knuckle and you will see what I mean. Its like banging on a bass drum.There is not really an ounce of sound insulation that can make a jot of a difference to noise levels. No wonder these cars are noisy!

Nearly one month of ownership and I have serious regrets. My GTI Mk7 was silent compared to this thing. This week I have driven a GTD, a 1.5 SV and as far as I can see they all have unacceptable noise levels. For god's sake doesn't anyone at VW consider cabin noise when they design a car? We all know its about minimising weight to maximise consumption and minimising costs. I actually have more sound deadening in my wifes Nissan Micra than in a £25k Golf.

My advice to anyone considering the purchase of a Golf or indeed any car and that is ask the dealer for a 24-hour test drive so you can drive at a variety of speeds over a variety of roads including Motorways. Don't just accept a ride around the block with a salesperson that is more interested in demonstrating the audio system or constantly talking.

On the basis of what I have experienced over the past few weeks with the MK7.5's my advice is give it a miss and look elsewhere. I can honestly tell you that a ride up the M4 motorway in this thing is unbelievable unless you are on the new super smooth tarmac surface.

As far as I am concerned this was a complete waste of money. This car should have come with ear plugs and paracetamols as standard. All I can do now is strip out the rear and spend £100 or so on some sound deadening in the hope that it will improve the cabin noise.

Should have bought an R dude???????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Could it be that a defective rear tire (tyre on your side of the pond) is the culprit? A defective tread could cause severe noise. Or perhaps a bad wheel bearing. Did you ask the dealer to test drive your car and evaluate? Ask the dealer if you can drive another example of your trim level for comparison.

My MK7 is quite silent. There are several visco-elastic sound deadening pads back there and I supplemented with about 5 sq ft more. I also added 10 sq ft of foam insulation. Everything cost me under $50 on Amazon. My MK7 is the most quiet car I’ve owned.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Could it be that a defective rear tire (tyre on your side of the pond) is the culprit? A defective tread could cause severe noise. Or perhaps a bad wheel bearing. Did you ask the dealer to test drive your car and evaluate? Ask the dealer if you can drive another example of your trim level for comparison.

My MK7 is quite silent. There are several visco-elastic sound deadening pads back there and I supplemented with about 5 sq ft more. I also added 10 sq ft of foam insulation. Everything cost me under $50 on Amazon. My MK7 is the most quiet car I’ve owned.

All good advice from you. Yes I have done all that inc replacing all tyres to Eagle f1's. Even drove a GTD yesterday and last week drove a 1.5TSI 150bhp SV and both showed an irritating droning, resonating sound. Drove a Mk7 (not facelifted) 1.4TSI with 28k on the clock and that was as quiet as my 2014/15 GTI that was recently written of by an idiot of a Portuguese driver who slammed into the rear quarter of the car when I was parked with his mobile phone in his hand.

Even dealer agrees there is annoying noise from the car but despite tyre changes and rear bearing changes the noise remains. Nothing else to do now but sound proof it.

marvin1

Ready to race!
I have always maintained that my ordinary bog standard MK7 2016 was/is noisier in some respects, compared to my previous MK6 1.4TSI. I have got used to it now but that fact remains. The new Golfs are lighter and tinnier and noisier to those of us who don't mask out noise by having music blasting out.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
You know there's a big hole in the rear valence. Which maybe or maybe not contributing to the noise.look under your license plate

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Problem solved!

Just exchanged the 1.5TSI EVO within the dealers 30-day exchange period for a 2018 GTI DSG in Tornado red.

I gave it a very thorough test this morning and the cabin sound difference is like night and day. I wasted 4 weeks with this 1.5 TSI but at least I am happy once again.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Problem solved!

Just exchanged the 1.5TSI EVO within the dealers 30-day exchange period for a 2018 GTI DSG in Tornado red.

I gave it a very thorough test this morning and the cabin sound difference is like night and day. I wasted 4 weeks with this 1.5 TSI but at least I am happy once again.

Glad it's all sorted now.

IanLS16

Surprised to hear about this as I've no issue with my 1.5 R-line on 18" wheels. Then again as it replaced an old Mondeo with knackered rear hub bearings anything would be quiet after that! Maybe something was loose in the boot, or the valance as mentioned?