GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre noise from Bridgestones on GTI

marvin1

Ready to race!
As I said previously, the MK7 is a noisier car wrt insulation from the wheels etc. You should go for the quietest tyres, whatever that make is!

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Where does this humming, droning noise come from?

Replaced the Dunlop Sport Maxx on now both front and rears with the Goodyear F1's in the hope that the annoying droning noise would be eliminated. When I fitted the F1's on my last MK7 GTI I had an exceptionally quiet ride.

Disappointingly I have not had the same result this time with my MK7.5 1.5 TSI. The droning or humming noise that is even present over smooth surfaces is the same irrespective of tyre. This car has completed just over 2000 miles in total since new. I have ran the car in neutral to eliminate engine gearbox noise and that made no difference.

The noise can be heard over a variety of surfaces and at varying speeds. Of course at higher speeds it may be less noticeable as other sounds intrude. It is very difficult to tell where the sound originates from. Is it a wheel bearing, well I guess that is a possibility. I haven't been back to the dealer yet but it looks like a visit is the only option. So far a waste of £350 on tyres that have made no difference. Bloody annoying and irritating to say the least.

Is this going to be another "characteristic of the model" as VW like to tell us so frequently?

VWgolfMK7problems.uk

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
So far a waste of £350 on tyres that have made no difference. Bloody annoying and irritating to say the least.

You can always sell the Dunlops to recoup some of your outlay - assuming you still have them. They’ve only covered 2,000 miles so should have loads of tread left.

Is this going to be another "characteristic of the model" as VW like to tell us so frequently?

I’d ask the dealer if you could drive another GTI PP DSG (assuming they have one) to see if it is a “characteristic of the model”. You can tell the dealer it’s highly unlikely to be the tyres, bearing in mind the noise is present with both Dunlops and Goodyears.

marvin1

Ready to race!
You can always sell the Dunlops to recoup some of your outlay - assuming you still have them. They’ve only covered 2,000 miles so should have loads of tread left.

I’d ask the dealer if you could drive another GTI PP DSG (assuming they have one) to see if it is a “characteristic of the model”. You can tell the dealer it’s highly unlikely to be the tyres, bearing in mind the noise is present with both Dunlops and Goodyears.

A test drive like that is rarely productive from what I went through last year. I was so uptight and my senses enhanced post car accident etc that the similar Golfs I drove all seemed hellishly noise but perhaps minus the drone that had appeared in post accident but still good luck.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

I don't have a GTI any longer as that was written off in Portugal earlier this year by white van man on his mobile phone who slammed into the rear of the car while I was parked. I am now on the 1.5 TSI DSG and that is the problem car. I have advertised the Dunlops on Gumtree but I should now probably try Ebay. Just 2000 miles on all since new could be a bargain for someone. It's not just me that hears the noise but also my wife and when we compare the previous GTI and this model we agree this drumming sound is so pronounced.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I don't have a GTI any longer as that was written off in Portugal earlier this year by white van man on his mobile phone who slammed into the rear of the car while I was parked. I am now on the 1.5 TSI DSG and that is the problem car. I have advertised the Dunlops on Gumtree but I should now probably try Ebay. Just 2000 miles on all since new could be a bargain for someone. It's not just me that hears the noise but also my wife and when we compare the previous GTI and this model we agree this drumming sound is so pronounced.

What size tyres are they?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
To small for me or I would of bought them. I can ask about for u tho. How much u want for them

I will get a shipping cost tomorrow unless anyone would want to collect. Also I will come up with a price.

Changed the tyres due to this bloody awful droning sound that I firmly believe was originating from the Dunlops but unfortunately no change in sound so really have wasted time and money.

This new 1.5 TSI has this intrusive hollow dronning sound that according to the wife reckons its from the left rear. We have just spent the past hour driving around in circles trying to identify the origin of the sound. Contacting dealer tomorrow and will be looking to return the car for something else if they insist this is a "characteristic of the model". On some surfaces I feel like I am inside an Airbus!

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

Cabin noise problem with 2018 1.5TSI EVO solved. Problem solved!

Just exchanged the 1.5TSI EVO within the dealers 30-day exchange period for a 2018 GTI DSG in Tornado red.

I gave it a very thorough test this morning and the cabin sound difference is like night and day. I wasted 4 weeks with this 1.5 TSI but at least I am happy once again.

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
I have a simalar car to Fuelboss

June 2018 mk 7.5 Golf R Line EVO 1.5 TSI DSG 150 BHP 20,000 Miles.

Tire size Dunlop Sport Max RT 225/40/18 STD from factory.

I experienced this dronning between the rev range of 2200 and 2800 revs most noticable cruising on the motorways that
would be around 73 to 85 mph 7th gear.

I eventually traced it down after months of trial and error to a chariacteristic of the engine/exhaust combination.

I was advised to change the factory exhaust resonator box to a Vibrant box which sits below the gear stick on this model which
i did and it improved or quitened down the drone by 50%

As far as i am aware this is the best you can get engine the only thing maybe would help improve it more
would be upgrading the exhaust downpipe but this may make matters worse also ?????

I have sound deadened a lot of this car interior wheel wells,bonnet and taigate which has also helped
but still not a quiet car.

Last week i fitted Koni Special Active rear shock absorbers to the factory suspension and yesterday we went out for
the day 95% motorway driving about 250 miles round trip whilst you could tell the car was a little more planted less roll on the rear which also helped the fronta little we also noticed an increace in road noise which was loudest we had ever noticed on the M5 south
down to Burnham on Sea, smooth surface was normal but on the coarser tarmac it was painful at around 70 75mph.

On the the way back we drove on the inside lane and kept it to 60mph mostly smooth surface which was a lot quieter.

This week i will be putting the Standard shocks back on and selling the Koni,s.

I am also considering changing the Dunlop SportMax RT to these new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 6
any views on these tires guys.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@GPL - is the droning noise more car speed related, rather than engine rpm related? If the former then it’d be worth checking your rear tyres for cupping / sawtooth wear on the inside edge of the tread, which is not uncommon on cars with independent rear suspension like your car has. The noise with cupping is similar to the noise you get with a worn wheel bearing.

If the inside edge of your rear tyre tread is cupped, then you may be able to see it - if not, you can probably feel it. This is what it looks like in extreme cases - you can see the tread blocks are ‘stepped’.
345C8650-A16A-4EFD-B83B-20E78CB46210.jpeg

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Hi
I forgot to say i also fiited new Dunlops all round 2000 miles ago o eliminate sawtooth issues if any.