GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How secure is my 2014 VW Golf MK7?

skinjob

This may have been covered over various threads before but how secure is the VW Golf MK7's?
As far as I know mine only has the standard equipment, ie immoboliser.
It may be a bit random but if a car thief came across a mixed line up of the average car on the street, would he give up and walk past the Golf or would he find it easier than other cars to break in and drive off?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
This may have been covered over various threads before but how secure is the VW Golf MK7's?
It may be a bit random but if a car thief came across a mixed line up of the average car on the street, would he give up and walk past the Golf or would he find it easier than other cars to break in and drive off?

You've got an alarm too.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

Unless any would be thief was specifically looking for a fairly standard diesel Golf, then I’d say you’re pretty safe.

If you’re really worried, then add a visible physical deterrent like a Disklok.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve never had the slightest concern about my gti getting stolen. Just don’t see it as a prime target.

State side it seems like car theft is kids stealing beaters and professionals stealing high end...leaves the typical golf in the clear

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
As secure as anything else but if they want it they will take it. They are taken with the keys nowadays in the UK so the location of the keys should be taken into mind when you get in.

The car is safer parked on the street than parked on your drive as when it is on your drive they know the house the keys are in.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I don't know what the popular theft cars are in the UK, but your best answer would come from insurance claim stats or police records. In the US, insurance companies rank cars for theft risk, collision risk, etc, and use those stats (in addition to other stats such as driver age, driving record, and the address which the car is registered) to calculate your insurance rate. Historically, in the US, theft stats correlated closely with car popularity-- the most popular cars on the road were also the most stolen, presumably due to demand for parts. Honda Civics and Acura Integras were the most commonly stolen cars 10 years ago, not sure who wears that crown today, but I'm sure the top slots are dominated by Japanese makes.

Maybe this article will help: https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/

Golf is ranked 9th, and interestingly, the top ten are all German if not Land Rovers. VERY different theft market than the US.

Last edited:

Jon2

Ready to race!
I have fairly decent anti-theft for all three of my cars. I have to board three separate ferries before I get onto mainland UK, and one of those ferries takes over 12 hours to do the 240-mile crossing. ?