GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio Removal Key Help Needed

Keefe

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I just installed a sub and amp in my car but for some reason I can't seem to get the VW radio removal keys out of the radio (CD player in glove box) I have the radio pulled out still, and tried pushing on the side to remove the keys but had no success. Any suggestions on how to get these keys out? It's frustrating having a glovebox stuck open lol. Thank you

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello, I just installed a sub and amp in my car but for some reason I can't seem to get the VW radio removal keys out of the radio (CD player in glove box) I have the radio pulled out still, and tried pushing on the side to remove the keys but had no success. Any suggestions on how to get these keys out? It's frustrating having a glovebox stuck open lol. Thank you

Reinstall the radio in the glove box, then hold it in place and pull out the keys.

Dubluvin life

Passed Driver's Ed
If that doesn’t work have someone help hold it while pushing in the side... then take some pliers to physically pull the key out. I bought some cheap keys on Amazon and had the same issue. Tried everything and the damn keys wouldn’t come out until I used brute force.

It was unsettling but it worked. Luckily I didn’t damage anything. I don’t recommend this but at some point you might not have any more options. Just be sure to at least be pushing in the metal tab to try and avoid breaking anything.

Again this is a last resort desperation move. I did everything everyone said to do and my keys would not come out. No guarantees on this...

MadMen

Ready to race!
Small flathead screw driver on the side clips to pop them out. They snap right back in after you remove the keys.

thegman

Great advice...thanks for sharing! I just installed the Helix Soundbox and could not remove the keys after I was all done (and I thought I was pulling the pins very hard.) I had no luck pulling out the copper looking side pins on the Infotainment unit as described above, so I pushed the Infotainment unit all the way in and pulled both keys out very hard using pliers. They did pop out! Whew...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 3.47.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 3.47.21 PM.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,114
Last edited:

Aphron

CW :)!
Under the tabs you push in there is a piece of metal holding the key in that I believe is also the outer tab, I pushed it in with small flathead screwdriver tawau from key (same as pushing tab inwards) and key came out fine. Couldn’t get it out any other way , pushing actual tab didn’t do enough to release.

imperator

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7
@Aphron can you PLEASE explain a little better? Or do you have any pictures? I understand that I have to use a small flathead screwdriver but where to point it and push in which direction?