GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Kevin, what did APR do to you to make you so salty?

I don't think his beef is specifically with APR. There's just a trend of spring manufacturers claiming that everything is perfectly copacetic when running the stock struts and shocks.

That can be true sometimes. I know my DriverGear springs on my MKV came from the dealer and were great, but they were linear just like the stock setup, dropped the car less than an inch, and most importantly backed by VW.

Some people are just very adamant that it's impossible to have a matched lowering spring (regardless of drop distance) with OE everything else. These people will always recommend a properly matched shock and strut when changing springs. Kevin is one of those people. I believe that breaking badly is also haha.

Personally, I'm running ED springs on stock hardware and it's fine. For now. I know it's going to crap out early, but when that happens, it's not really that hard to pull the suspension again and throw on some Bilstein or Koni.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Does a car really handle better on the street when it's dropped like that in the real world of bumps and potholes?

Lower center of gravity means easier navigation around said bumps and potholes ;) I kid, of course. I notice the biggest difference being a bit lower when there are 4 adults in the car. Other than that, things feel normal, maybe like 15% stiffer.

Edit: I missed my multiquote opportunity, but ElectricEye posted while I was writing my previous novel of a post.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I don't think his beef is specifically with APR. There's just a trend of spring manufacturers claiming that everything is perfectly copacetic when running the stock struts and shocks.

You nailed it. My first question was quite valid, if punctuated with a bit of sarcasm at the end. But salty? Yep, fair assessment.

My second question, who is the manufacturer of the springs, also is quite valid. We all know APR doesn't have a spring factory. Wouldn't you want to know which vendor is making these if you were going to buy them? Is it H&R, Gruber, Eibach.. there aren't that many different reputable spring companies. If it's somebody like Wun Hung Lo out of eastern China, I think that would be important to know. If it's Eibach, that's important too, and would likely make people more comfortable with buying them.

Roothless

You've missed the APR catback thread.

Nope I’m well aware of their catback issues with the Mk6. Management has changed since then and I haven’t seen quality issues since. Their downpipe for the Mk7 is highly regarded.

But I’m interested to see people’s reviews of these springs, as well as pictures of them on a stock GTI.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
You've missed the APR catback thread.

The one where people cut open the Corsa exhaust that was APR branded and made a big deal about stuffing in the exhaust.

However the exhaust worked as advertised by eliminating drone and increasing power?

That’s called a nothing burger.

I had the APR RSC 3” TBE exhaust on my MK5 GTI, it was sublime.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
I too would like to see a before and after pic on a stock GTI with stock wheels.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I can't say I've heard any. Our springs do have isolators on them to prevent noise from the dead coils under harsh driving conditions.

One can also add insulators.
If APR does not offer I know Eibach sells them separate.
Low cost easy install. Can install also after spring is on car if you want to add.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
Im torn between these springs and the DG's. Fingers crossed to see a GTi with stock wheels on these springs soon.