GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Extended Warranty, is it worth it?

malhi179

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobann
I recently bought a certified pre-owned 2018 GTI autobahn from a local VW dealership in Canada, loving it so far! It has got 24000KM on it. The VW Canada comprehensive warranty on it is valid until April 2022 and powertrain warranty goes until April 2023.

The dealer sold me hard on their extended warranty policy which is valid till Oct 2023 for $2700 CAD. Its offered by SecureDrive with $500 deductible. Not sure if this is offered by VW Canada...

I am planning to keep the car for 5-6 years and put around 10000KM annually. Considering this, i am debating if this extended warranty is worth the money or not. I can cancel the extended warranty in next 30 days.. not modifying the car in any way, all stock options...

For folks out there, looking for guidance in this matter...

thanks in advance...

Last edited:

eNon

Passed Driver's Ed
I got an extended warranty on my CPO '17 Golf. For me, it mostly came down to the fact that I got the SEL model with every extra option and feature that exists, which is expensive stuff to fix if it breaks. It's peace of mind, because I don't work on my car, and don't even have a private parking space, much less a garage. I also only had like 3 months left on the VW warranty after I got it (pre-facelift was just a 3 year warranty, not 6)

To some degree it's always a gamble. You've just gotta decide if the peace of mind is worth it. Also if you're going to be modding your car and voiding warranties anyway.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Too expensive and too high of a deductible. They wouldn't sell extended warranties if it wasn't profitable for them. A $100 deductible and maybe $1500 for the policy. I once bought a Toyota and they tried to sell me an extended warranty. Price started at $2500 and they ended up lowering it to $1200.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
In my case i think it’s worth it, I have purchased the VW extended warranty as the factory warranty was just about to end, it cost me £348.66 for 12months , all component cover with £0 excess and 15,000 mile allowance, just checked the cost again and if I were to purchase it today it costs nearly double, I only started the cover two months ago so not sure why the increase!

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Not worth it. Just my opinion. These small engine cars won’t last much over 100k miles though and I have yet to see a cpo warranty package worth it. Sadly there are no easily daily driven 8 Cyl cars.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I wouldn't but if needed I can afford to repair mine. If you really want one shop around for one...odds are you'll find a better deal. As already mentioned odds are it will make $ for both Secure Drive AND the dealer. They know the numbers better than any of us. Good till 2013? I'll sell you one much cheaper...

;)

Mud

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I never buy them. There has never been a time in my 30 years of car ownership that I said "DANG....WISH I HAD THE WARRANTY". The math will show you are better off saving that up-front money (or in your payments) and just accept that you will have to pay for some items over time. Most warranties don't cover the small items that commonly go wrong. Most of my large repairs ($1000+) have been well out of mileage/time that any warranties I would have bought would have covered anyway. Just my conservative 2 cents.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not worth it. Take the cost and then the deductible and squirrel away into a savings account each month. Then use that account to pay for anything or as a back up for emergencies.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
...They wouldn't sell extended warranties if it wasn't profitable for them...

Lol would any business sell anything if it wasn't profitable?
It's a gamble, like most "insurance". Sometimes it pays off sometime it doesn't.
I had one car (an RX8 that I bought used and already out of factory warranty) that I bought an extended warranty for and it ended up paying for itself.
I currently have one on the MK7 but have not had to use it...may never have to.
I would recommend what was mentioned above, self insure.
Meaning put money aside into a separate account to use if you need it, and then if you never need it, it is still yours.

malhi179

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobann
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the typo - extended warranty dealer sold me is good till Oct 2023.

Considering i have VW new vehicle comprehensive warranty until April 2022 and powertrain until April 2023... i will cancel the extended warranty... and put that money aside for any repairs after factory warranty is over...

gulpozen

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI
I got completely screwed on my CPO extended warranty. Charged $3500 for 2 extra years on a base Golf. Sad part is you can't get a refund for it once you sign the paperwork. I'm hoping that something breaks in my car 5 years from now and costs over $3500 to fix. Otherwise, it's not worth it and just a way for the dealers to scrape more money out of your wallet.