GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch slipping at 19K mi?

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
The clutch is simply inadequate for the car's power when driven as a performance car should be expected to be driven.

Honestly, its you and your luck. I've had two mk7 gti's and have driven the piss out of them both. Oh not to mention, both been tuned, highway pulls, redline at erm well lets just say often, and on stock clutches. Never had a slip. It really is you and your luck.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I wonder what the world record is for a stock mk7 clutch. I fully expected and accepted I'd probably be replacing it at some point, but now closing in on 50k miles with 10k of them stage 1,its still perfect. Never slips. However I never mash the gas unless my rpms are already at least 3k or even more like 3.5k. So if I'm cruising in 6th at 70mph and need to get on it, I downshift to 4th.

But every once in a while I will mash it in 6th at low rpm just to see what happens. So far, still no slip. I should probably stop testing that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just one more reason to get a DSG. :D Oh no he didn't just say that did he?

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I am on my 3rd clutch... 1st lasted 16k 2nd lasted until 32k. I drive hard and a lot of highway shifting. 1st replacement went to CM fx250, new Sachs DMF, throw out Bering. OEM clutch slipped so bad on hard, high speed shifting it burned out the DMF. 2nd replacement clutch I kept the DMF as it was still in good shape and put the performance Sachs pressure plate/disk.. Trans shop said the throw out bearing was leaking a tiny bit and probably causing the slip as disk still looked to have some life remaining.... This setup feels like stock so soft and easy in traffic but after 1k miles it is engaging very high... It better hang in there for at least 15k more. And then definitely going to go with something tougher like the Spec 2+.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am on my 3rd clutch... 1st lasted 16k 2nd lasted until 32k. I drive hard and a lot of highway shifting. 1st replacement went to CM fx250, new Sachs DMF, throw out Bering. OEM clutch slipped so bad on hard, high speed shifting it burned out the DMF. 2nd replacement clutch I kept the DMF as it was still in good shape and put the performance Sachs pressure plate/disk.. Trans shop said the throw out bearing was leaking a tiny bit and probably causing the slip as disk still looked to have some life remaining.... This setup feels like stock so soft and easy in traffic but after 1k miles it is engaging very high... It better hang in there for at least 15k more. And then definitely going to go with something tougher like the Spec 2+.

Why are you having to shift a lot on the highway like you said?

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
When did you put in the jb1? I’m sure that hasn’t helped your clutch life but my car is stock.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
Why are you having to shift a lot on the highway like you said?
I like to pass the left lane drivers.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
When did you put in the jb1? I’m sure that hasn’t helped your clutch life but my car is stock.
At about 12k

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Y'know what pisses me off even more than my clutch slipping at 19000 miles?

My clutch stopping slipping (temporarily I'm sure) at 19500 miles!

I need to go back and read that OEM air filter thread. Maybe my new Genuine VW winter air filter cost enough power to save the clutch.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Y'know what pisses me off even more than my clutch slipping at 19000 miles?

My clutch stopping slipping (temporarily I'm sure) at 19500 miles!

I need to go back and read that OEM air filter thread. Maybe my new Genuine VW winter air filter cost enough power to save the clutch.

Honestly I fee like mine does the same, comes and goes.

Like I said, I try to really baby it, bit even sometimes when I do push it a little harder it feels solid still.
However I don't really try to test it.

Navi

Autocross Champion

I don't know. This sounds like driver to me.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

3rd clutch?! You might want to review your driving techniques ASAP.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

Like others have said, there is something wrong with your driving dude...

My MK5 has 110k miles on the original clutch, and half of those miles are on a stage 2 HPFP Uni tune that's supposedly over 300 lbft of torque (and it does feel like it!) ... it only just started to slip like 10k mi ago... I plan on having my Rs clutch last, even after tuning it... no way your swapping clutches every couple oil changes LOL

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Like others have said, there is something wrong with your driving dude...

My MK5 has 110k miles on the original clutch, and half of those miles are on a stage 2 HPFP Uni tune that's supposedly over 300 lbft of torque (and it does feel like it!) ... it only just started to slip like 10k mi ago... I plan on having my Rs clutch last, even after tuning it... no way your swapping clutches every couple oil changes LOL

is mk5 oem clutch stronger. I know if you ran stg 2 uni on a mk7 clutch, that thing isn't gonna last long.