GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Pilot Sport A/S 3+ If Still on Stock Buy Them!!!

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Never heard of tires causing that much mileage drop.

No, I didn't really expect either. Had seen other reports of it and hadn't really thought about tires & fuel economy prior. The stock Potenza's fit into the 'Grand Tourer' tire category which are also designed to help fuel economy. There was also another post in here from someone who went from 'eco' tires in their Jetta and got a significant drop. The Pilot Sport are also have a chunkier tread and are actually noticeably literally sticky after driving (like race wheels). Also after doing a quick bit of research when you have new tires the circumference of the tire is greater leading to milage calculation errors in the trip computer*.

I think all of the above led to the actual AND calculated drop in MPG

*From Tire Rack "New, Full-Treaded Tires Travel Farther per Tire Revolution Than Shallow-Treaded, Worn Tires
Vehicles are programmed with their Original Equipment (O.E.) tire's revolutions-per-mile to allow their odometers to calculate the distances traveled. Unfortunately vehicle odometers aren't always 100% accurate and the tire revolutions per mile will change as its tread wears.

The diameter and circumference of a new, full-treaded tire is greater than that of an old, worn-out tire. Considering that many passenger car tires are molded with beginning tread depths of 10/32" to 12/32", the tires will be approximately 1/2" to 6/10" shorter in diameter when they've worn to the minimum tread depth of 2/32".

In order to determine how much odometer error this dimensional difference might cause, the Tire Rack team drove one of our 2008 BMW 328Ci test cars on a set of new, full-treaded 205/55R16-sized tires, as well as another set of the same tires shaved to worn-out (2/32") tread depth. We used a Global Positioning System (GPS) to measure the 100-mile test distance on a dry Indiana Toll Road and maintained an average speed of 70 mph. We then compared the number of miles traveled indicated by the vehicle's odometer to the GPS receiver and highway mile markers.

When the GPS indicated exactly 100 miles had been traveled while the vehicle was equipped with new 12/32" deep tires, the vehicle's odometer registered 99.4 miles. When the vehicle was then equipped with another set of the same tires shaved to 2/32" of remaining tread depth, the odometer indicated 101.0 miles. While the 100-mile test distance didn't change, essentially the vehicle's odometer overstated the distance traveled by about 1.5% when equipped with the worn out tires.

Since drivers traditionally monitor their vehicle's fuel economy by dividing the number of miles traveled as registered on the odometer by the number of gallons used to fill the tank (or by simply letting the vehicle's trip computer handle the task), the accuracy of the vehicle's fuel economy calculation is dependant on the number of miles indicated by the odometer.

This means that the vehicle's fuel economy (whether calculated by the driver after filling up or the trip computer) would instantaneously appear to drop by about 1.5% when fitted with new tires simply because the vehicle would actually have traveled 1.5% farther than it did when equipped with its recently removed worn-out tires."

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
anyone used these on the track? How do they fair on the track compared to max summer tires?

All-seasons have no business being used on a racetrack, no matter how good they are. They will overheat and chunk.

Drag strip is a different question, and I can't really offer any input.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you don't have an aftermarket rear sway bar get one and those kinds of roads will be even more enjoyable. Completely eliminates the understeer. I have the Nuespeed 25MM RSB.

do you have stiffer springs on the car also? I already have stiffer aftermarket spring and don't want to have to change the front bar out to keep it a closer match so I'm trying to decide if 22 or 24/25 will be a right size for me since its really just for sprinted street driving.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
do you have stiffer springs on the car also? I already have stiffer aftermarket spring and don't want to have to change the front bar out to keep it a closer match so I'm trying to decide if 22 or 24/25 will be a right size for me since its really just for sprinted street driving.

No only the RSB.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ordered the PS AS 3 + today at Discount Tire. This will be the 4th set of tires for my car which has 63,000 miles. I hope these last closer to the 45K tread wear rating.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Ordered the PS AS 3 + today at Discount Tire. This will be the 4th set of tires for my car which has 63,000 miles. I hope these last closer to the 45K tread wear rating.

I've had mine for maybe 1.5 years and 12,000 miles.
Not sure I'm going to hit 45k.
I'm not necessarily easy on them though...

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The tires are far too noisy for me at 50 mph or above. Dunno if it's because I'm using them with the stock wheels which are only 7.5 inches wide or what. They do have amazing grip as others have stated over and over. They also look really good in the 225/40 size.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
OK - So pretty much been in drought in DC the last couple of months... Finally got some goos wet weather driving on the way back to DC from Wintergreen (East Coast Ski Resort - Lots of hills and windy roads etc) yesterday. Although I couldn't really push it hard (as I had my wife and dog in the car) the tires performed great.

I really noticed the difference on the highway as it plowed through standing water pretty well. Never felt close to aqua planing. When you compare to the stock tires the tread is quite wide and chunky so prob explains why.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
At this point I am thinking its smart to just get a beater to drive during the winter next time I look for a car or move south.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Did you get them installed yet? I am curious of your opinion on road noise at highway speeds.

you're definitely not going to get 45k out of them

i just bought and installed my second set of as3+ in 235/45/17 and i'm still very happy with them.

also lol at the guy who's willing to move to the south to avoid snow

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
I have about 40000 miles on my A/S 3+, and they are really noisy at this point. I couldn't believe the difference in noise when the winters went on yesterday. At 40000 miles, I'm down to 5/32, so I will be buying new tires in the spring. Other than the noise, they have been GREAT tires, and I will most likely buy another set.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have about 40000 miles on my A/S 3+, and they are really noisy at this point. I couldn't believe the difference in noise when the winters went on yesterday. At 40000 miles, I'm down to 5/32, so I will be buying new tires in the spring. Other than the noise, they have been GREAT tires, and I will most likely buy another set.

I just got them and I don't notice more noise compared to all the other tires I've had. Hopefully they don't get noisy like yours did after some mileage.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
They were quiet when new. I started noticing them getting loud about 25000 miles in. It didn't bother me, because their performance is good enough to overcome their noise, at least to me. Rock solid in the wet, great in the dry, the only way I don't buy another set is if they are replaced by a newer version.

I just got them and I don't notice more noise compared to all the other tires I've had. Hopefully they don't get noisy like yours did after some mileage.