GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Bi-Xenon Bulb Replacement w/o Removing Headlights ( Mk7 MkVII GTI )

SnapMobil

Hi, thank you for the very detailed tutorial! I just have one question. Did you disconnect the battery? Or is it ok to work with it connected?Regards

SnapMobil

Always disconnect when working with high voltage applications.

Thank you for that. I am worried that disconnecting the battery will mess up all the electronics (my car has loads of optional extras which rely on electronics ).I could not see in the detailed tutorial that he actually disconnected the battery and thought I could give it a go too as long as I am careful.:D

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I've never disconnected the battery when swapping Xenon bulbs. Just don't turn the lights on.

SnapMobil

Thank you both for replying. I will have to really think about it. I am still curious to find out if the user who started the thread disconnected the battery or not, and also other opinions from users who have also changed their xenon bulbs. I have a lot of patience when it comes to this kind of things and I am very meticulous...

Joe-MK7

Does anybody know if, you need to note anything done / risk losing radio codes when you disconnect the battery?

Any other issues when disconnecting batteries?

NB: How much where the replacements, would you recommend DS3? or DS1?

Thank you.

JSUN1

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anybody know if, you need to note anything done / risk losing radio codes when you disconnect the battery?

Any other issues when disconnecting batteries?

NB: How much where the replacements, would you recommend DS3? or DS1?

Thank you.
They are not interchangeable Mk7's use the D3S not D1S
they might look the same but the electrical connector is different also the base of bulbs are different...yuotube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWte-9VAXV4

nuttbar51

Thanks for the awesome write up.
I was curious about the DRL'S. In the one photo they weren't on yet in all the others they were on. The reason why I'm asking as mine have gone out and an error saying the right one was done. Do you know a way to replace or fix the DRL's as the dealer wants me to buy a whole new assembly and you seen to know the most about these lights after scouring the net.
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi people. If anyone is interested I'm from the the UK and one of my xenon bulbs failed. It was a week day and no time to spare and looking into this it would be a pain in the ass so I got my trusted garage to change them. Looking on the net if one bulb goes then the other one will not be far behind as most xenon bulbs have a lifespan of 5 years. My car was just over 5 years old. I bought 2 osram bulbs from halfords for £60 each so £120 for two and got my usual garage to fit them which took 2 hours labour because the bumper needs to be removed to remove the headlights to change the bulbs. . I know that the bulbs can be replaced without removing the front bumper can be done as said in this thread but time wise it was quicker to remove the bumper to remove the headlights. The osram bulbs I bought have a 4 year gaurantee. The original ones were philips and on car parts for less they were £100 each and the osrams are about £85 each on there. I phoned my local parts place and lucas ones were £91 each. So overall I think I done OK. My mk5 golf headlight bulbs were h7's at about £2.50 and took me 5 mins to change. These new golfs are sooo expensive to fix!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
You can do it through the wheel arch, easy as f#€k!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32