GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Someone cracked a joke about how hoon swaps his turbos often, and so Jerusalem artichokes or sunchokes as they're sometimes.... and...uh.... um. Hm. I really thought this would be easier to explain.

No Ed, please don't get up. I'll show myself out.

Only losers use Tapatalk

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ok then... as long as we’re all on the same page.

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Question about tail pipe emissions...

Question about tail pipe emissions...i.e. soot @ WOT.

Tuned by Ed @ EQT (7 Revisions if I recall correctly), via COBB AP.
FBO. (the minimum...DP, IC, Charge Pipes, Turbo Inlet, Engine & Trany mounts, HPFP)
Oil currently is Motul Sport 5w40.

I broached the subject with Ed after the tune, and shared a video then. That video was a morning shot, and now after some months later, an afternoon shot is not that much more impressive. Chalk it up to the rear dash cam. By the naked eye, it's a bit more concerning, (to me), but perhaps I'm a hypochondriac.
Hence the post. It just seems to warrant concern from me, gazing at it from the rear view mirror.

Or is it?

Just curious if I need to address something.... revised PCV (I recall some chatter about that). Oil catch can? (Car is not currently tracked, besides the tail of the dragon [WITW], it has been driven like a grandma owned it.

Something else to look at? Something I am not thinking of?

If this not the correct thread, please direct.

http://youtu.be/W57AUtJ9GUk

The previous video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyDcLu0p70

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I've got the same thing occurring on mine S1ack.

I don't remember if I brought it up with Ed before.

It's been more concerning for me as being color blind, it's really hard to tell what color the smoke is, but it's always looked like that with color and volume. I assume its black.

Happens higher in the rpm range under heavy throttle in lower gears.

I believe it's just an overly rich condition from the tune to keep things cooler and safe.

What fuel are you using? I've read that it's much more common on pump gas compared to eblends. (i'm on pump 92)
Edit: looked at post history and you're running 93 pump it seems.

It doesn't seem super uncommon for this on highly tuned turbo cars and even things like the Mitsubishi evo do this a bit on the factory tune.

That said, i'm not a fan of it happening.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Question about tail pipe emissions...i.e. soot @ WOT.

Tuned by Ed @ EQT (7 Revisions if I recall correctly), via COBB AP.
FBO. (the minimum...DP, IC, Charge Pipes, Turbo Inlet, Engine & Trany mounts, HPFP)
Oil currently is Motul Sport 5w40.

I broached the subject with Ed after the tune, and shared a video then. That video was a morning shot, and now after some months later, an afternoon shot is not that much more impressive. Chalk it up to the rear dash cam. By the naked eye, it's a bit more concerning, (to me), but perhaps I'm a hypochondriac.
Hence the post. It just seems to warrant concern from me, gazing at it from the rear view mirror.

Or is it?

Just curious if I need to address something.... revised PCV (I recall some chatter about that). Oil catch can? (Car is not currently tracked, besides the tail of the dragon [WITW], it has been driven like a grandma owned it.

Something else to look at? Something I am not thinking of?

If this not the correct thread, please direct.

http://youtu.be/W57AUtJ9GUk

The previous video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyDcLu0p70

Is it burning any oil? Next video turn the sound off of your radio.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I don't remember if I brought it up with Ed before.

It's been more concerning for me as being color blind, it's really hard to tell what color the smoke is, but it's always looked like that with color and volume. I assume its black.

Happens higher in the rpm range under heavy throttle in lower gears.

I believe it's just an overly rich condition from the tune to keep things cooler and safe.

What fuel are you using? I've read that it's much more common on pump gas compared to eblends. (i'm on pump 92)

It doesn't seem super uncommon for this on highly tuned turbo cars and even things like the Mitsubishi evo do this a bit on the factory tune.

That said, i'm not a fan of it happening.

Overly rich would be black smoke.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Yeah, which is what I (think) I see with my car and in the video, but again, being color blind, black and blue smoke can be pretty close to me.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Have you guys unplugged your rear O2 sensors? Leaving them plugged in on catless cars will cause an increasingly rich condition over time.

BTW, you guys should see what GTR’s do on pump gas. They almost look like diesels rolling coal ;).

— Ed

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R

Thanks wanted to make sure I am not an outlier.

Yes Pump 93, usually Shell.

Is it burning any oil? Next video turn the sound off of your radio.
Not that I have noticed.
Will do.

When in the air it looks more towards black than white. When I wash the car the specs on the hatch are very black (car is Oryx White so that might effect how it looks when stuck to the hatch).

Have you guys unplugged your rear O2 sensors? Leaving them plugged in on catless cars will cause an increasingly rich condition over time.

BTW, you guys should see what GTR’s do on pump gas. They almost look like diesels rolling coal ;).

— Ed
My DP is catted, (Unitronic).
Still recommend unplugging?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Thanks wanted to make sure I am not an outlier.

Yes Pump 93, usually Shell.

Not that I have noticed.

Will do.

When in the air it looks more towards black than white. When I wash the car the specs on the hatch are very black (car is Oryx White so that might effect how it looks when stuck to the hatch).

My DP is catted, (Unitronic).

Still recommend unplugging?

Yes still unplug it. Then reflash your latest map to reset any learning that may be present.

— Ed

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yes still unplug it. Then reflash your latest map to reset any learning that may be present.

— Ed

Are you saying that regardless of DP(cat or non-cat), the rear 02 should be unplugged when running any of your tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I'm catted, but the cat is downstream of the rear o2 sensor on the CTS downpipe, so it reads as catless.

This is the first i've heard of unplugging the rear o2.

I assume for people with race cats(200cell or so) in the factory location with the o2 behind the cat, they should still keep the o2 plugged in?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Are you saying that regardless of DP(cat or non-cat), the rear 02 should be unplugged when running any of your tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This applies to any Cobb tune and likely many others. Aftermarket cats will generally cause the same condition because they don’t work as well as stock.

— Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'm catted, but the cat is downstream of the rear o2 sensor on the CTS downpipe, so it reads as catless.

This is the first i've heard of unplugging the rear o2.

I assume for people with race cats(200cell or so) in the factory location with the o2 behind the cat, they should still keep the o2 plugged in?

I recommend unplugging it with any aftermarket downpipes.

— Ed