GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enkei new 18" wheels all four out of round?!

OG McGibblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
enkei 18" new kojins been having vibration since day 1. went through replacing one wheel through retailer, and swapped out 10+ conti dws06 tires while trying to road force balance them. but never solved the issue. (i went through 2 set of lug bolts, 4 sets of hub rings, hand tightening the wheels myself, i have tried all the stuff i saw on the forums and got an alignment as well)

drove a few months dealing with the shitty vibrations, and recently the latest shop told me that all four wheels are now all slightly out of round and need straightening. (road force was all 40+ lbs) i have no other damage on wheels, they look fine.

One guy at the shop mentioned the 5 spoke design as weak and possible design flaw. I've seen somewhere online discuss this as well. Enkei response was "As for wheels of a certain design being more prone to bending, I really don’t think that’s true. All of our wheels undergo extensive strength and stress testing during the design process. If the area between the spokes is found to be too weak during computer strength analysis, the whole flange is beefed up to make it more resistant to deformation. All of our wheels are going to meet a minimum strength standard as dictated by the JWL, which is basically the Japanese version of the DOT."

Enkei customer service has been useless in general and been giving the run around for weeks, having me submit evidence and saying they will call me, but never followed through. they told me i should pay for straightening the wheels and it will solve all my problems. however i am not keen on dumping more money into these wheels. especially if will just happen again.

This is turning into an enkei complaint thread, but I'm hoping someone can provide advice or perhaps dealt with a similar problem. i regret not buying neuspeed for a little more money. now i am not so sure of the strength of "flow formed" wheels, and might just go oem -_-

Last edited:

OG McGibblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Might I suggest some different hub rings? Where did you buy them?

tried both alum and plastic amazon ones, not a great fit. ecs had plastic ones that were good and a bit deeper. enkei sent me plastic ones as well (months later), and I put them on a few weeks ago. I dont think hub rings are the problem right now, i saw them spin 2 of the 4 wheels, and you can see there was a hop to them.

Last edited:

Damfino

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE PP
I had a similar situation with MSW wheels from Tire Rack. Went through two sets of them and multiple types of hub rings with no luck. Just recently installed a new set of Enkei Raijin and the vibrations are gone. Can you swap wheels with anyone to prove that the wheels are the issue?

OG McGibblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I had a similar situation with MSW wheels from Tire Rack. Went through two sets of them and multiple types of hub rings with no luck. Just recently installed a new set of Enkei Raijin and the vibrations are gone. Can you swap wheels with anyone to prove that the wheels are the issue?

i had 0 problems on my oem. had them for a few months before going to the enkeis.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I have Enkei Raijin's and had vibrations with them using the Amazon Hub Rings too. They don't work. I bought the hub rings from urotuning and the vibrations went away.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/hubcentric-rings-set-of-4-72-6mm-to-57-1mm?variant=12744937340983

Somewhere (probably not too deep) in this forum there is a post complaining about a similar issue and there is an explanation on how the rear hubs are tapered from 57.1mm to 56.1mm and its causing a lot of havoc on aftermarket wheels.

Bottom line, don't buy the Amazon hub rings, its hit and miss. Mostly miss.