GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stoptech st60 review

teemmy

Ready to race!
Here’s a quick review that I wrote from my build thread:

Stoptech st60 355x32mm 6 piston brakes:

So I bought these off another member who had used them pretty lightly, i do recall he said he had used these for one track day, which is why he also sold me a set of Stoptech track pads that he had only used once.

The only downside to this kit was that he had ran 3mm spacers to help clear his rims but they probably required 4-5mm. He ended up scraping the front corner face of the calipers, and I’m sure his rims took a little scratching as well. Regardless, I’m not one who cares much about looks but rather about function so it didn’t bother me. They still look plenty pretty to me :)

I’m a pretty mild daily driver and the Bay Area is congested enough so i rarely let loose, but i bought these for the track. I had one day with them on the track and all i can say is, “wow [emoji33]”. These brakes will rip off your face! I had a passenger for a few sessions and he was shocked by how amazingly hard these brakes stop. They showed no signs of fatigue at Laguna seca. At first i thought my brakes were fading later in each session, but i realized that i was actually overwhelming my Michelin ps4s. They could not hold up to the abuse of stopping paired with the amount of power I’m putting out with the EQT vortex turbo.

I felt they also led to brake brake imbalance with my tiny rear non pp brakes. Then again, it helped transfer all the weight and grip to the front, which helps for our FWD platform... but then again, my suspension is pretty soft since it’s a simple pro kit. I’m sure it would behave better with a higher level of suspension. i think it just goes to show these brakes are incredible. My brakes showed minimal wear after a day at the track and the pads looked like they were still unused.

Unfortunately i don’t have any photos of the rotors in the wheel wells... but this is what i came up with today as i installed my Superpro camber plates

Photos here:

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad to have found that these kits are awesome. I'm itching to put an order through for one... was thinking of a bigger rotor @ 380mm. Hope these are still holding up well. Any updates? How often do you think you need to change the rotor out?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad to have found that these kits are awesome. I'm itching to put an order through for one... was thinking of a bigger rotor @ 380mm. Hope these are still holding up well. Any updates? How often do you think you need to change the rotor out?

if street driving, never. You should probably get 100k miles out of it.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

Don't bother with the 380mm rotors. It just makes it that much more difficult to get wheels to fit.

I have over 12 years of experience with ST60 - 355mm Stoptech BBK and can tell you first hand that your tires or nerve will give out prior to these brakes giving up (provided you have the correct pads - I would recommend Pagid RS29 if you're tracking heavy).

Street wise, as crild stated, you'll get close to 100k out of the rotors. I had gotten a good 4 - 5 years, plus around 40K miles of street driving and about 80 track days on my setup before I had to change rotors. They take a TON of abuse.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I felt they also led to brake brake imbalance with my tiny rear non pp brakes.

What are you feeling and what pads are you running on the rear? Is the rear end "squirming?"

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
What are you feeling and what pads are you running on the rear? Is the rear end "squirming?"
Not sure how one would feel this when the TCR cars run the non pp rears and 355/6pot fronts.

To be fair the mu of the pads helps with the brake balance correction.