GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Torque Intervention On Track

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
It's way less common on newer Golfs with independent rear suspension versus the old torsion beam cars, but it's still fun to see.

I'm pretty sure I had the car go light/airborne on me over Phil Hill at buttonwillow (right at the 5 min mark here: https://youtu.be/vtT2WZ4G6jE?t=290). The RPMs rise quickly and then catch, as well as a little tire squeal. I think that would have pissed off any nannies still working with ECS off more than just 3 wheeling around a hard corner.

Is there anything you can log other than timing/DV/etc. to see what is happening? Is there any sort of traction control interaction that Cobb or VCDS can monitor?

P.S. just watched your video a few times and HOLY SHIT does that car cook out of a corner. There has to be some sort of torque limit or safety you're running into, that is a real aggressive and quick cut.

I haven’t been able to capture much data yet. I will next time. It only happens when turning. Once I’m straightened out, no problem at all.

— Ed

littco

Ready to race!
is the steering wheel at an angle? There are quite a few steering torque limitations maps that may be interfering, if you log torque limitation, request engine and engine torque you will see if there is an active limitation at play.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Does the ESC light flash when this occurs?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
How often do you refresh your Haldex fluid?

I have 50 HPDE days on my R, but I am running APR's stage 1 high torque so significantly less power than you. My car does not spin any wheels coming out of a turn, although with the addition of the UM Haldex tune a year ago I can feel a little push coming from the outside rear.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
How often do you refresh your Haldex fluid?

I have 50 HPDE days on my R, but I am running APR's stage 1 high torque so significantly less power than you. My car does not spin any wheels coming out of a turn, although with the addition of the UM Haldex tune a year ago I can feel a little push coming from the outside rear.

I serviced it about 4-5k miles ago. The issue has definitely become more pronounced with increased power. At stage 1/2 levels it was really only apparent coming out of really tight hairpin type turns.

-- Ed

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I get this, first time I assumed it was something I was doing with my foot(or something with the car), but then when I let my instructor take the car out, he noticed it as well/mentioned it to me.

No idea on the source/reason, doesn't happen when cold, and it does gets worse more laps around the track, though its been really minor and it hasn't really bothered me (stock power, no tune). MK7.5R, 6SP Manual here.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I get this, first time I assumed it was something I was doing with my foot(or something with the car), but then when I let my instructor take the car out, he noticed it as well/mentioned it to me.

No idea on the source/reason, doesn't happen when cold, and it does gets worse more laps around the track, though its been really minor and it hasn't really bothered me (stock power, no tune). MK7.5R, 6SP Manual here.

I’ve heard a few manuals complain about this too now. So I’m thinking it has to do with the haldex.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
There's issues with certain abs modules that don't allow you to fully disable esc/tcs nannies. I have the same exact issue with my 2015 5 speed golf. However my 2017 GSW 4Motion DSG let me disable them all and this problem has never occurred. I also agree more power has aggravated the issue. I haven't found a solution to this problem, but it's very annoying. The car will blip power/boost at the absolute worst time.

Interesting... and annoying.

littco

Ready to race!
There's issues with certain abs modules that don't allow you to fully disable esc/tcs nannies. I have the same exact issue with my 2015 5 speed golf. However my 2017 GSW 4Motion DSG let me disable them all and this problem has never occurred. I also agree more power has aggravated the issue. I haven't found a solution to this problem, but it's very annoying. The car will blip power/boost at the absolute worst time.

I think you are talking about ' vibration reduction' on the older aba module. It will cut torque, you can Google and there are videos on cars cutting torque. It's not an issue it's just that it can't be disabled. Later ABS modules fully turn this off but you can't swap them as the plugs are different.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I think you are talking about ' vibration reduction' on the older aba module. It will cut torque, you can Google and there are videos on cars cutting torque. It's not an issue it's just that it can't be disabled. Later ABS modules fully turn this off but you can't swap them as the plugs are different.

More info on this?

-- Ed

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
More info on this?

-- Ed
TCS off

Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to deactivated.

03 Brakes -> Adaption -> Starting vibration reduction -> Old: Strong, New: Deactivated

And torque limitation

Possible code needed - 20103

MAS00194 XDS to weak.