GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone installed an actual TPMS?

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Has anyone tried or succeed in the installation of an actual TPMS system? Like the one linked below? I kind of hate the wheel sensor one you can loose 5psi before the system even alerts you.

TPMS

thanks

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Uhhhh. No. 5 psi is nothing. Like heating up of the day. I wouldn't

SRoads

Ready to race!
The in wheel sensors only alert you when you loose 5-6 psi below rated pressure...so you're not gaining anything but increased cost when getting new wheels and tires.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Has anyone tried or succeed in the installation of an actual TPMS system? Like the one linked below? I kind of hate the wheel sensor one you can loose 5psi before the system even alerts you.

TPMS

thanks

That type usually has a preset number of lbs of air in the tire. Usually 28 lbs.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Well the current and old system might alert you at the same loss of psi, but you can at least pull up the display and see what each tire is at any given moment. I'm sure VW put a range where it wouldn't throw a flag if it goes above or below due to when the tire warms up or cools down, but a lot of tire wear can occur with even a couple of lbs difference in a tire. I drive 100 miles a day and it's just becoming a pain in the ass checking my tire pressure all the time. GF has a 2011 sonata and it's only ever had one sensor replaced in 8 years.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well the current and old system might alert you at the same loss of psi, but you can at least pull up the display and see what each tire is at any given moment. I'm sure VW put a range where it wouldn't throw a flag if it goes above or below due to when the tire warms up or cools down, but a lot of tire wear can occur with even a couple of lbs difference in a tire. I drive 100 miles a day and it's just becoming a pain in the ass checking my tire pressure all the time. GF has a 2011 sonata and it's only ever had one sensor replaced in 8 years.

I agree about having to check the amount of air in the tire it says is low. Mine will give me a warning if one tire is just 4 lbs less than the others. I'm out making deliveries and have to keep checking that tire to determine if it's actually leaking. When I'm finished if the pressure hasn't dropped further I know that I don't have a leak and then add some air to that tire.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I have, it works perfectly fine, took me about an hour to install the witing and module.

Then just mount the sensors inside the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I have, it works perfectly fine, took me about an hour to install the witing and module.

Then just mount the sensors inside the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Do tell! I've always wanted to perform this mod.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk