GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Borrow airbox - San Diego

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
Would anyone possibly loan out their stock airbox when i need to smog the car? I bought my car used w/o the stock one. I wont need it soon. I'm just gauging if this is a possible path rather than spending $100+ for a replacement one that i wont use for more than a couple of hours.

2015 GTI MK7 SE

thanks,
Rob

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
While waiting for the REI to open, before I go to SoCal Euro

Why not consider the expensive option? Buy a new intake that has the CARB E.O. sticker like a neuspeed and then not worry about smog?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
While waiting for the REI to open, before I go to SoCal Euro

Why not consider the expensive option? Buy a new intake that has the CARB E.O. sticker like a neuspeed and then not worry about smog?

idk maybe $300 vs free?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
And what happens if you have no one nearby nice enough to offer one?

You do owe a generous person a six pack of good beer

There’s a large mk7 group in SD, I can nearly guarantee he’ll find someone. I’d be more than willing if I still lived in CA lol

sdmcoupe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 VW GTI SE
i have a closed aftermarket intake. Forget the brand but i know it doesnt have the CARB sticker.

Sure...a six pack of beer to borrow it for a few hours is no problem. :)

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
i have a closed aftermarket intake. Forget the brand but i know it doesnt have the CARB sticker.

Sure...a six pack of beer to borrow it for a few hours is no problem. :)
Aftermarket intakes need the CARB sticker to pass smog and there is very few choices.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
There’s a large mk7 group in SD, I can nearly guarantee he’ll find someone. I’d be more than willing if I still lived in CA lol
If the OP went to SoCal Euro, he could have talked to them and see if someone hasn't thrown out their stock airbox yet

P.S. depending on the intake, the swapping back and forth may mean you might accidently snag that coolant hose, and if you break the nipple, your "free smog passing intake" means a much more expensive repair.

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
P.S. depending on the intake, the swapping back and forth may mean you might accidently snag that coolant hose, and if you break the nipple, your "free smog passing intake" means a much more expensive repair.

You could do the same thing installing an aftermarket CARB approved intake, making it exactly the same. Or, he could crash on the way to the smog station, making smog even more expensive. Or..... we could keep going on the infinite ways to fubar something and make owning a car more expensive... :rolleyes:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
You could do the same thing installing an aftermarket CARB approved intake, making it exactly the same. Or, he could crash on the way to the smog station, making smog even more expensive. Or..... we could keep going on the infinite ways to fubar something and make owning a car more expensive... :rolleyes:

:D

Anyways, I have an R airbox. It's the same minus the SAI hose. Since the car will be warm when you arrive to the smog shop, the car wont run the air pump like it would during a cold start. Could probably just tuck the end under the airbox and they would never know. Let me know, I have a shop I always pull this kind of stuff with and never get caught.